SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Strugling to get length of sobriety! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/159972-strugling-get-length-sobriety.html)

gilly1 10-17-2008 08:58 PM

Strugling to get length of sobriety!

In the past year I have tried many times to get my self sober for a period of time . I have been refered to an alcohol treatment centre for 6 months. But once I started back work my binge drinking has started again ,my access to my children has slipped. My attendance at work has been inconsistant.My financial afairs are in disaray. And I feel I am just about keeping an illusion of soacial inclusion by the skin of my teeth. 5 years ago I managed to abstain for nearly 2 years but of late I have strugled to get any lengthy sobriety under way. I have been sober now since monday . I work as a psychiatric nurse in a forensic setting which means I have to do random shifts which at times can be stressfull and do not enable me to have a regular AA home group.

ANGELINA243 10-17-2008 09:00 PM

Welcome! Glad you are here! :)

gilly1 10-17-2008 09:07 PM

Thanks Im In workin uk 2 hours away from finnishing a nite shift and determined not to go home and drink.

ANGELINA243 10-17-2008 09:10 PM

Sounds like a good plan. :c015:

CarolD 10-17-2008 09:38 PM

While your work hours may not allow you to
have a regular AA home group...
you can always attend a meeting anyway.

SR is open 24/7 and you can come
share with us anytime.

:wave:
Welcome to our recovery community

gilly1 10-17-2008 09:50 PM

Thanks for the post. I am going to try and get a meeting in on sunday when I am of.

four812 10-18-2008 01:19 AM

i want to go to a meeting right now. but i can't

my daughter is sleeping on the couch

but it's 4 am ...i was feeling very lost and alone when i woke up a half hour ago

i feel a little better now after reading some threads

thanks for this one gilly

BeachAngel 10-18-2008 01:26 AM

ksplash5,

I just woke up half and hour ago too! I noticed you were posting in some threads as was I.

I am so, so happy and grateful to have this here at all hours. I am dedicated to my new sobriety and I am insulating myself using AA, new AA friends, the Big Book, and this forum (!).

Glad to be here,

BA

four812 10-18-2008 01:31 AM

awsome beachangel

i feel a little less alone

thanks

four812 10-18-2008 06:28 AM

funny....it's 9:30 am now and i'm feeling ok, much better

because i read my post above....where i said "I want to go to a meeting"

funny because i meant to say and thought that i said "i want to use"

it's nice to be clean .....my beginning of day 5

Anna 10-18-2008 08:06 AM

Hi Gilly,

I'm glad that you found us and that you're seeking help.

You can do this!

One thing I would ask you, is what have you done to change your life, besides stopping drinking? I found I had to look really honestly at myself, throwing away all the illusions and I had to make changes in my life.

NewDayNow 10-18-2008 05:26 PM

Hi Gilly

Glad you’re here. I also have the work hours problem. My hours are pretty much an on demand thing and I must travel.

I always have my trusty lap top with me and there is a meeting to be found just about anywhere I find myself.

Welcome to SR

Ed

gilly1 10-22-2008 05:59 AM

thanks for all your posts I am now 10 days sober and things seem to be going ok. Have managed to get to a couple of meetings since last sunday

Anna 10-22-2008 06:07 AM

I'm glad you're doing well!

Stubborn1 10-22-2008 06:08 AM

You can do it. I found reading helped get through nights I wanted to drink. I'm glad you came here.