Notices

Still drinking

Old 10-17-2008, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still drinking

Hi everyone,

I have never been an "admitted" alcoholic, but I do admit it to myself--just not others. I need help in learning how to live long term without alcohol. I can not drink for months, but once I fall off, I will drink a large bottle of wine alone. My life is AWESOME. I have no huge issues that I know of. We have a loving family, money, jobs and fun. I am sure this is genetic. HELP me figure out what to do. Part of me wants to get involved in something like AA and other parts of me thinks I should do a treatment program. "Something" encourages me to drink and it is NOT my LIFE.
All support appreciated.
Thanks
Loves
Old 10-17-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I did a outpatient treatment program and AA.

I'm glad you're here and trying to find durable sobriety. Reading and posting here is so helpful to me.

Keep trying. Keep doing!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mile,
I am drinking a glass of wine as I type and realize I need to stop. I have stopped literally for a year at a time with no intervention but I have realized that over the last year it has gotten OUT OF CONTROL. I have gained weight, no longer as pretty as I once was and am aware of looking hungover. I am not off the deep end, but I can see it coming. I was on line just looking around. Maybe this place will be enough. I do not know. I wanted to control it--NOT I wanted to stop--can for periods of time, then it is like my brain tells me it is ok to. So I do. Then I feel like crap the next day and I end up drinking that night too. I "know" I "am" an alcoholic, I need help in the day to day. Sunday is my day to STOP. FOR GOOD. I know I can go to an AA group in my town but I don't think I am ready for that. Suggestions--I feel almost snobby that "i" am going to be admitting that I am "sick". Kick me in the butt if you feel like it--I can take it.
I appreciate your time with me.
LoveB
Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveBV View Post
Hi Mile,
Suggestions--I feel almost snobby that "i" am going to be admitting that I am "sick". Kick me in the butt if you feel like it--I can take it.
I appreciate your time with me.
LoveB

WELCOME!!!

You're merely admitting that your body can't process alcohol the way a normal person can. BTW, 'the only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking'. No admission of any sort is required to attend an AA meeting.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

Here are excerpts from the book that
convinced me to finally quit drinking.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Please see if it is helpful for you
and do keep in touch with us.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

loveBV -

I, knowing I was an alcoholic, tried to control my drinking for 9 long miserable months. It was such a relief to find help and quit.

Hang in there. Glad you're here.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

what is awsome about your life? describe a few things that make it awsome if you want to
Old 10-18-2008, 01:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I totally agree with mle-sober. You will find such relief when you finally decide you have had enough.

I also did not have a low bottom, I have friends, family, a thriving new business, love for myself, but I know I don't want to hurt myself anymore with this isolated drinking.

Drinking was so much work! Having it, hiding it, protecting it, driving to different liquor stores, LIVING THROUGH DAILY HANGOVERS. I never want to feel that way again. I have made the decision that I want to better myself more than I want to drink. You can too, you never have to have another drink.

My best,

Beach Angel
Old 10-18-2008, 01:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I go to a medical lecture every week at Las Encinas Hospital (a well known rehab, the one from "Celebrity Rehab") in which Dr. Drew Pinsky and Bob Forrest present addiction and alcoholism to people who "might have a problem". In these lectures they present rehab as an "adult time out", a period to detox and clear the patient's head so that hopefully they can make a clear-headed decision to get into recovery. They further state that patients cannot and in their years of experience seldom ever recover from rehab alone. They state, as well as do nearly all other doctors treating chemical dependency, that 12 step programs such as AA, NA, CA, MA, etc-A are the only way they have seen that people recover long term.

Addiction is a mental sickness. Alcohol or drugs are just symptoms of the problem. You have taken the first step, you have admitted to yourself that you are an alcoholic. One other thing you did is you admitted to all who read your post that you are an alcoholic. I had a good life as far as family, job, money, and not getting into trouble went. I had a s*!tload of fun too while I was drinking. In addition to being a lot of fun, alcohol allowed me to calm my head temporarily. When I was drunk the fear and nerviousness left my mind. I was comfortable in groups and could approach and have conversations with anyone in a bar or party. When I sobered up and cleared the hangover the feelings, fears, anxiety, shyness, and everything else in my head came back. I admitted I had a problem many times in the 20+ years I drank but did not seek help until I was 37. I am grateful I finally reached out and other alcoholics were there to guide me into recovery.

We're now here to reach out that hand to you. All you have to do is listen, open your mind, and be willing to take a little action.

I'm here if you have any questions or need any help.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

BTW,

Here is something I found on my local AA website today. I wish I had found it like, 5 years ago.

What are some early symptoms of alcoholism?

You start having blackouts.

You consistently drink more than you mean to.

You find liquor means more to you than to others.

You start excusing yourself for drinking.

You start taking eye-openers (the morning drink).

You begin to drink alone.

You get antisocial when you drink.

You start going on benders.

You feel deep, nameless anxiety.

You have a constant craving for alcohol.

(These ten symptoms are taken from pamphlets published by the National
Council on Alcoholism, and Drug Dependence, Inc., New York, N.Y.)
Old 10-18-2008, 04:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad that you have made a decision to stop drinking.

I believe that stopping drinking is the first step in recovery. It's at that point that the real hard work begins. I think that drinking is a symptom and it takes work to make changes in your life, in order to stay sober.