Notices

Things done and "to do" today

Old 10-14-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Things done and "to do" today

I realize I can't stay sober unless I change my life. There are things I must do, small and big, to make this happen.

Here's me attempting to be optimistic (I'm a pessimist at heart...). Everyone, feel free to talk about what you are doing today to make your life better.

I'm first, so here goes:

It's not much, really. I bought some frames today. I took one of my old prints and framed it along with a couple of works by other artists. It made me smile...

I haven't made much work lately because I fell into a hole...I'm in the process of pulling myself out. I'm filling my home with art. It's great! I still have a lot of cleaning to do. I'm going to rearrange furniture, wash the walls, and paint.

I've been sketching more lately and thinking about art, whereas before all I was doing was eating, drinking, and sleeping (and gross toilet type things, but I won't get into that).

I'm going to make an effort to hold myself accountable and post at this thread at least every other day. I want to make art again like I used to, but do it better this time around.

Lots of love SR peeps!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One good thing I did today is do some simple chores for an elderly friend. I earned a bit of money, she got some things done, and both of us are happy. And it wouldn't have been possible if I'd still been drinking.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One good thing I realized today is that I think I finally understand what "mindfulness" really means.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"empowerment!"

For me,nothing makes me feel better than a new pair of boots.I went to the milatary surplus store today,and bought a pair of safty clinbing boots.I know it sounds of topic, but boots can be verry empowering...no joke! I used to be really into punk rock.now i just don't feel like i'm ready to face life on lifes terms unless i am wearing some heavy leather "shitkickers"...I maybe need to get over it,..but I know a few other people who feel the same way.since my sober date..(08-16-08)i have been doing the best i have ever done...moving forward in ways I never thought possible. I believe that it's due to my taking an active part in my recovery. its MUCH more than just not using.So, today i found my self with the day off, some money in my pocket,a nice car,and a whole lotta time on my hands!!!anybody smell recipe for desaster?....any way,I found these boots,or mayb'e they found me, I'm not sure yet,but today has been the best sober day yet!.......by the way....tomarow is day 60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!live life......................me

Last edited by madd11matt; 10-14-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey Bam,

Good thread! I was able to leave work early today and get a few groceries. I made a double batch of meatballs. One batch for italian wedding soup tonight and one batch for spaghetti tomorrow night.

Two good meals knocked out and leftovers for a few lunches. Makes that third night's grilled cheese sandwiches tolerable!

When I was drinking I could not muster the effort to make complex meals except on my day off. Then I was usually too tired from letting chores pile up around here.

Cooking is a way for me to show my family I love them!

Lots of love to you too!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, Bamboozle!

I love your idea about framing the art and how it made you smile. I am really particular about what is on my walls. I use lots of family photos and some beautiful vacation photos that I have blown up. Everywhere I look, I see things that make me feel happy.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to work and stayed.....didn't use to be able to.

tongiht I'm making an experimental veal spagetti dish with fresh veggies....smells good got some bacon in it...i use to love to cook!!!

:ghug2
Old 10-14-2008, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tonite I am working on laundry. I know it sounds really boring, but it is such a great feeling to see the laundry room floor (and the kids rooms floor) nice and clean with no piles of dirty laundry! It will only last about a day, so its kinda like :horse but it still feels good for the moment!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All I can say is wow. I too am progressing in so many ways. Matt I loved your post man. I feel like each and every day is better than the last. How exciting for all of us. Keep sharing your specific stories, it is great. Cooking is my great passion(Yes I'm the Dad and I do all the cooking) and it gives me great pleasure. In fact I'm done with work so I'm heading downstairs to make my family some dinner RIGHT NOW!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Laundry here! What great fun! NOT. But I am also working on a good book. Reading is very therapuetic.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Well, I placed a phone call today to inquire about a job...the position has been filled, but at least I called. That's big for me because I have no backbone.

I'm going to do some more cleaning/rearranging today.

I had a thought this morning: Why should I detroy my body just so some rich people can profit off of my problems?

It's been a few days since I've had anything, but the area over my liver is tender to the touch. I'm not panicking yet...I'm watching for other signs that say get yo butt to the ER.

Just another sign that I need to take better care of myself. And I should take better care of myself.

Here's another thought: Wouldn't it be something if the alcohol companies rewarded their "loyal customers" with health care bonus points? One could save up the points from bottle caps and boxes...when that person needed to receive care because of his/her drinking, he/she could cash them in.

Sorry folks....I'm a little angry at myself this morning.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Great topic, what do I have on my plate today?

1. First thing I did was to print out some stuff on the first step off of the net to share with 2 sponsee's of mine.

2. Did my job on time and well.

3. Babysit my grandson.

4. I will fix the family dinner when I get home.

5. I am going to go and work with the 2 afore mentioned sponsee's on step one.

6. Attend a meeting.

7. Be a husband and a father.

Life is good I have found when it is not all about me, but instead what I can do for others.

Oh I did not leave myself out.... I am going to get myself some junk food!!!! LOL
Old 10-16-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Well, the day started off well.

I got some supplies and made a fairly good palette (2' x 2') for about 21 bucks (these are U.S. amounts in feet and dollars, respectively speaking). I also ordered some much needed printmaking supplies that should come in about a couple of weeks from now.

That's great and all, but I'm drunk right now. Yes...I am. I want to read this the next day so I can see what a buffoon I am. Speed block...stumbling block.......when am I going to get past this BS?

Keep moving forward, Bam. You screw up...fine....but, you do realize you are not accomplishing anything at this moment in time, right? You aren't doing anything at this moment to improve your life.

You're in for this all, the good and the bad...you are going to post your successes...

...and your failures.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

bam...I am sorry to hear you are drinking right now

You can put it down the drain now and start over if you want to. I and others will be here to walk with you on the path of sobriety again. You are worth sobriety and although you may not see it now, sobriety is a possiblity for you.

I hope you can find a belief in your own sobriety that will help you to get through the discouraging times.

:ghug
Old 10-16-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Bam,
You are willing to post your successes and failures. We are willing to stand with you.

Please put away the alcohol, now. A few days ago you posted that you felt you might have some tenderness around your liver. Please put the alcohol away, now.

Look around at all the progress you have made in your home this week, while sober. Look over your posts here and see how helpful you have been to others this week, while sober.

Please switch to something non-alcoholic for the rest of today.
I'm pulling for you!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'm messed up right now...

I wish I was over this.

I thought I was a while ago.

Obviously, I'm not.

I'll post later. Thank you, ananda and Pcan
Old 10-16-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Got my kindergartener up, dressed, and fed and drove to school, took my other son to the doctor and got him a brace for his torn ligament. Made dinner for my men folk, took son to school, did dishes, went to the grocery store and gas station, did some reading and talking on the phone. Kissed my husband goodbye.....

Tonight I need to straighten livingroom, empty dishwasher, and put clean close away.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

More cleaning...that's what I did yesterday. Dirt wouldn't come off of the walls (I did what I could), so I painted over it today. Ugh! I'm almost done with this housekeeping crap.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hey bam..wanted to share that I can see a vast improvement in my ability to get things done since I got sober....still room for improvement but getting there...

MY HOUSE IS CLEAN AND SO ARE MY CLOTHES!!!!

ok ok...i havent pd the bills...progress not perfection
Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Staying busy is good. Cleaning isn't always fun, but it is satisfying.