Notices

Did I blow it?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did I blow it?

So according to my therapist, I am not an alcoholic and should learn to use moderation with my drinking which included no drinking for 30 days. I really didn't have any intention of drinking but on Day 31 I had a glass of red wine at dinner in a restaurant with friends. That is all I had and I did not like the taste and had no desire to drink more. On Day 32 I had a glass of white wine (I think I was testing myself to see if it tasted any better) and did not like the taste of it and did not drink any more. It just did nothing for me and I have no inclination or desire to drink more.

So did I blow it?

I feel really good about my progress and the fact that I did have a glass of wine, but did not want more. I am wondering what it was before that held me to that (those) bottles of wine and the desire for more and more?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hmmm. I can not say, to be honest. I can imagine what kind of therapist would tell you to go out and drink. That seems very irresponsible. I am glad it did not take you all the way out....yet.
I wish you the very best. The thought of that kind of experiment for ME scares the begeezus outta me.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I would question the therapist's opinion too, if you do believe you're an alcoholic.

Also, I managed to control my drinking quite nicely, but not very long. In the end, the addiction always won out. Maybe you have no desire to drink now, and maybe you never will, but I would watch out for the addict voice telling you that it's okay.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I would just always shoot that your problem is worse than it is. That way you nip it before it kills you.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It doesn't sound like you blew it to me... if you drank and you didn't like it, don't do it anymore.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

A mental health therapist (i.e. psychologist or other non-MD) not otherwise trained and/or licensed in durg/alcohol dependency, substance abuse, or other addiction studies is not qualified to diagnose anyone with regard to alcohol or controlled substance addiction or abuse.

You might as well ask the kid who works the local McDonald's drive through if they think you're an alcoholic or not.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, Eclipse.

No offense directed towards you, but your therapist sounds like a dippy doo.

Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
So according to my therapist, I am not an alcoholic and should learn to use moderation with my drinking which included no drinking for 30 days.
Wow.

In my humble opinion, I don't think you blew it...but I sincerely question the judgment of your therapist. The suggestion that you should moderate even though alcohol has been a problem for you is ludicrous. I'm sorry that professional(?) put that suggestion in your head. Big hugs.

Regardless, you seem committed to improving your life. Keep moving forward.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I truly believe I am an alcoholic, a therapist, the pope, the president of the United States, my parents, the neighbors, my grandkids, the mailman...aren't going to convince me otherwise
Old 10-13-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you can come back in 6 months saying the same thing that you're saying today I might be inclined to believe your Therapist.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Eclipse - I'm sorry, but your situation worries me...
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You might want to go back to your early post
to refresh your memory.
For example...
You know its time when....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You stand in the kitchen and 11:00 am anxiously waiting for your kids to get out of the kitchen so I could secretly pour myself a glass of wine. So...today is Day 1 for me.
Moderation? I don't think so.

Wonder what you would have done if the wine tasted good?
Say.... a Bordeaux instead of a Burgundy?
A Reisling instead of Chablis?
Could you have stopped with one?

No need to answer me....
Old 10-13-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
God's Kid

After I got the boot from treatment, relapsed, had all kinds of other terrible things happen, I started going to AA regulary and also to see a 'alcohol and drug counsellor' though my local hospital.

She was in the last year of her degree which is not uncommon here.

So after I told her my background and how I came to be in her office, she looked surprised and said to me. "So do you really want to give up for good?" And her tone implied like maybe, the only troubles I had with booze were having too many glasses of wine with a meal or something.

I don't know if it was her or me, but she didn't seem to be unable to understand the seriousness of my situation. I was a 19 year old girl, who'd stopped attending school regulary at 13, slept my way round my country, had a child young, many abusive relationships, parents wanted me in treatment at 15, daughter had recently been in hospital due to my neglect, I was unemployable, barely able to talk to people, let alone look them in the face and I'd been thrown out of a treatment centre.

I saw her a few more times after that and eventually she told me she came from a family of alcoholics (but wasn't one herself) so I stopped going to see her. I'd learned about denial and that's a big thing for family members too, who, god bless them, go on to train in the 'helping industry' before working on their own issues.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You sure you heard that therapist correctly? Whether alkie or not it seems very irresponsible to tell someone its OK to drink.

Also I think Caro is right. Something lead you to think there was a problem. IMO one or 2 nights of not liking the wine doesnt mean you dont have aproblem anymore. Though I do wish that to be the case for you. Just be careful.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your therapist should not have said that, it is not his/her call as to whether or not you are an alcoholic. A few years ago my therapist said the same thing and although I knew she was wrong, I used it as an excuse to continue drinking.

As to whether or not you "blew it" that is up to you. Personally, if I stayed sober for 31 days and then managed to only have one glass of wine and no more, I would consider myself lucky. All the best to you.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I did the one wine or one beer thing. I'm telling you full blow alcoholism is coming. That is the great trap. Make sure you are not giving yourself an "Out" or two just to give yourself an excuse to drink again. Subconscious mind is powerful and the addictive voice is still a major presence there. I urge you not to consider yourself "healed" of alcoholism.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the posts. I was thinking some of them seemed harsh, and I am feeling sorry for myself, but that's exactly what I need. I swear my therapist told me she didn't think I had a problem and asked me to read a workbook called "Responsible Drinking". I will not drink more, as I was totally content that way I was without alcohol and will continue.

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
A few years ago my therapist said the same thing and although I knew she was wrong, I used it as an excuse to continue drinking.
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1972 View Post
That is the great trap. Make sure you are not giving yourself an "Out" or two just to give yourself an excuse to drink again.
I am almost wondering it that is what I did.

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
You might want to go back to your early post to refresh your memory.
Thanks Carol, you're amazing. I do remember that so well.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is so great to come here and pour it all out (lol) and get it straight from the horse's mouths. Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Eclipse,

Sounds like you have found the answer to your question. We are all deferent. I only know about me. If I where to drink a glass of wine or even take a sip, the outcome would have been far deferent.

Hey, don’t beat yourself up. Just move on.
Ed
Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Ed,

I really look up to you and appreciate your friendship! Can I still move onto 60 and under with you?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

60 and under would be a lonely place without you

Ed