Notices

Please Explain

Old 10-11-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please Explain

I am Danielson's girlfriend, and during a conversation I posed a question to him that he was unable to answer and he thought I should post it on here to get some insight.

In the course of 14 years, he has been able to quit smoking successfully after one try. He smoked 1-2 packs per day. He was also in an environment where smoking was almost encouraged.

He managed to cut all of his favorite foods out because of health concerns without once cheating to eat something unhealthy. He also managed to wake up every morning without fail to go to the gym in an effort to change his cholesterol and blood pressure.

However, when it comes to alcohol, he just can't quit. If he has the willpower to cut everything else out, why not this?

It is affecting every facet of his life, he is aware of it, but he just can't quit.

Why? Why is this so different? He has (in the past) been able to roll with the punches, pick himself up when he is down, and make life changing decisions on a whim, but alcohol has this strange grip on him that makes all of that impossible now.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Lots of things can be addictive, but not all have the same effect on the brain. And it's next to impossible to see how one drug works on the brain compared to another. That alone makes it almost impossible to predict how chemicals will react in us.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Wish him the best though; there's always a way. Just not always the first one you try.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's a good question, & difficult to answer. I have heard many people say smoking is harder to quit. I can't imagine that, but I'm not a smoker. In my case, alcohol was a buffer against the realities of life, something to help me forget my problems and fears. Cigarettes don't do that. Quitting drinking takes far more than willpower. I hope someone wiser than me will come along to give you an answer.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You might want to read this link...

Alcohol and Brain

Also..the 2nd sticky post in our Alcoholism Forum
is from the book that convinced me to finally quit

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I am a recovered alcoholic..19 years sober
thanks to God and AA....

Wishing tge 2 of you all my best..
Old 10-12-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess this is hard to explain to someone who doesnt have that obsession with achohol. I am a smoker, and the physical addict in me can not give up smoking. I've done it in the past, but I'm just not ready right now.
I guess the big difference for me it that with smoking, the addiction is really more physical. With the achohol, the addiction has many more psychological aspects. I dont use cigarrettes to escape my life, my emotions, etc. Cigarrettes dont numb my brain from feeling anger, hurt, etc. The achohol is what does that. There is of course a physical aspect to my addiction to achohol, but I can get through that part of it in a few uncomfortable days. The psychological part is what gets me everytime....having to deal with my life without the buffer of alchohol.
I dont know if this explains anything....but hopefully this helps??
Old 10-12-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, quitting drinking takes more than just 'willpower'. It takes a program, such as AA, or another program, and help from others. I went to AA meetings when I first decided to stop drinking. I had a lot of false starts and relapses but I eventually made it.

You can encourage him in his efforts to get and stay sober, just remember he has to do that for himself, for his own well being.

You might find help for yourself in understanding his addiction to alcohol by going to AlAnon meetings. There is also a Friends and Families forum that has lots of good ideas and suggestions.

If he decides to quit drinking, your support can be very helpful to him.