Notices

this maybe a stereotypical, clichéd post but...

Old 10-10-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

this maybe a stereotypical, clichéd post but...

i think i maybe an alcoholic. i'm only 18, but for the past 6 months or so, i've been drinking 5-6 days a week. i've had this policy of not drinking the nights i work, but my working hours have become fewer, and i drink every night i don't work. i average at least 6 beers a night. i thought it was choice, but occasionally i try to go 2-3 days without drinking and i end up with the shakes, and occasionally stomach complaint and migraines... i don't know if they're connected or not... i also have the urge to drink; it's as if i can't imagine having a good night without drinking. i don't want to start attending aa meetings or anything like that, what can i do to stop without things like this.

Last edited by CarolD; 10-10-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Removed E Mail-Not Allowed on SR
Old 10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hey marvin, welcome to SR. Only you can decide whether you're an alcoholic or not. I honestly believe that normal drinkers don't plan how many nights they do or don't drink, they don't count their drinks, and they don't have the need to contemplate how their drinking is affecting their help.

I use AA but I understand it's not for everyone. The only thing I'd urge you to do is put together a plan for your recovery, and don't try to do it alone. There are plenty of young people under the age of 18 at my AA meetings, so please don't rule it out completely.

There's plenty of helpful information in the stickies at the top of the forums. You could start by reading this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 10-10-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi marvinn and welcome!

maybe go over to the alcoholism forums and read the stickies at the top of the page there.
I think for you to see something is not 'normal' with your drinking is saying a LOT about your maturity. (in regard to the 'only 18' part)
I'm also a member of AA and also understand it's not for everyone... but it's a handy place to start if you need companionship right away, while sourcing out alternatives.

I hope you continue to post!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If your alcohol use is worrying you, that tells me you think you have a real problem and want to stop drinking. I'm 89 days sober today and so grateful for getting out while I still could.

PLease read some of the 'stickies' at the top of the Alchoholism forum. Whatever you decide to do, please be safe. We care.

:ghug3
Old 10-10-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Marvinnn - you'll be saving yourself so much agony if you can figure this out now. Wise of you at 18 to know what needs to be done. At your age I still had about 20 more years of heavy drinking before I even suspected I might need to quit. Longer still to actually do it. What a waste. Please let us know how you're feeling.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah Marvin if only I were 18 again I 'd make some much smarter choices. You've already made the first one by reaching out for help, just keep doing that, don't try to handle it on your own, that was my trap. Ask yourself "am I hiding my behaviour or keeping secrets or lying?" its a good indicaiton in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I thought occasionally that I maybe a had a problem with beer for decades. Finally it caught up with me. Today is my 90 sober day and I feel great.

I truly envy you for thinking about this seriously at your age. Read up on it, here and elsewhere. Just be honest with yourself as you do.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Marvin, not much I can add to the sound advice and suggestions already posted. Here are some UK links you might want to look at. Please get some support - you deserve that.
Alcoholics Anonymous | AA | in England, Scotland and Wales, UK
Alcoholics Anonymous GB: Young People
Old 10-11-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

No matter what you decide your concerns now can only help you be more informed for the future.

Hope you find your answers.