Notices

New here day 4

Old 10-10-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here day 4

Hi everyone,

I've been reading posts on here for quite some time now, so I figured it couldn't hurt to join in. I feel like I already know a lot of you. Well, I'm on day 4. This is the longest I've gone in about a year. I've been a daily drinker for quite some time, usually wine. The first couple days I had mild withdrawals... headaches, insomnia, but nothing serious. Today I feel pretty good. Today was the most productive day I've had in a long time. I forgot what it feels like to be sober. And no, I haven't started working a program yet. I'm starting out with SR & am hoping for some support & advice. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for loving support and good info. Glad you found us! Keep coming back!

Congrats on four days sober! That's great!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The King of Goats

Welcome.
Im new too. im on day 5 this morning. I'm still thinking about drinking but its starting to get better.
Stay with us post and chat. i have found it really helps.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm still having thoughts about drinking too. Earlier today I was feeling the need to have a couple tonight, but I think the urge has passed. Instead I'm drinking a cup of tea. I think I'll be ok tonight. Wow, I can't remember a Friday night that I haven't drank in a long time. My husband's coming home from out of town tomorrow, so that'll be hard. We always drink together on the weekends. I guess I'll just focus on today for now though.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Billygoat. I forgot to tell you Congrats on Day 5 in my last post.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Birdie & Billygoat, great to have you join in. I never would have dreamed a group like this could help me. I wasn't sober when I joined SR, but reading here finally had an impact on me and I wanted to be like these people - brave, optimistic, full of hope and humor - though some were still struggling. Birdie, I always drank with my husband too - but his drinking was so different. He didn't need it to exist, the way I did in the end. It was only awkward & difficult the first few times I didn't join him - then I got more comfortable with it and started to enjoy the fact that I wouldn't be waking up with a hangover, & there'd be no more unpredictable behavior. It is like learning to live again without it, when you've used it as a crutch as long as I did. I find at almost 9 mos. the longing for the "old days" has almost disappeared, since I now realize it can never be fun or relaxing or an escape for me - ever again. It's poison. Hoping to hear more of your stories, congratulations to both of you!
Old 10-10-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Birdie

4 days without alcohol. That’s great! Welcome to SR

Congrates on 5 days billy

Ed
Old 10-10-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you joined us.

I have so much support here at SR.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

Hevyn, my husband's drinking is different too. On Fri & Sat night, he can drink about 10 beers & not be too drunk. I know some of you might say that's a problem too, but I wouldn't say he's an alcoholic. He could give it up way easier than I could. I want it every day, even during the day. Sometimes I tell him that I drink too much, but he doesn't know how much I was drinking. I guess I got pretty good at hiding it. I could drink during the day while he was at work & fall asleep for a while & he doesn't have a clue because I seem sober when he gets home. He doesn't know about this site at all. Right now I want my posts to be my own thoughts, not for him to see. Is that wrong to not want my husband to see this site?? I don't know if I'm ready to be completely honest about how much I was drinking. How does anyone else deal with it when it comes to your spouses?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Birdie!

Glad you are here!

Looking forward to getting to know you as you get to know us!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

welcome and congrats on day 4 :ghug3
Old 10-10-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Birdie, I got a little stronger and more confident before I shared it with my husband. I suspect you're alot younger than me - I had a path of destruction behind me and my husband was only too happy to see me try and make a change, so I was anxious to share the good news of SR with him, but I didn't do it right away. I don't think you should ever feel obligated to share it if you don't want to. In the end I drank all day too & hid extra beers in the closet so I could have my own private stash, along with the stuff he brought home. He never had any idea that I could put away a 30 pack in a day if I really tried. I am so happy to not be a slave to it any more.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job.
It's not an easy road and anyone telling you it is is lying.
Keep up the sobriety!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Hevyn, I don't think I'm ready to share this with him yet. I too kept a stash in the closet. It's strange how similar we all are when it comes to hiding it. It does become exhausting though. My hubby & I spend a lot of time drinking together, so right now it is hard to imagine not drinking anymore. Our relationship would probably change a lot if we didn't drink together. I'm in my early 30's & I've been lucky that nothing too bad has happened because of my drinking, but I don't want to wait until something does. I've had a few close calls over the years, but I must have had a guardian angel looking over my shoulder. I think I need to wait until I have a lot of stuff figured out in my head before I start sharing with anyone I know. I'm glad I found this site to have a safe place to express my feelings.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!

This is my place to get support. My DH knows about it and knows what my screenname is but he also supports me having a private place to get support. He figures that as long as a stay clean and sober my message boards are mine.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome Birdie! Glad that you found us! There is a lot of support here-Please check out our other forums-and at the top there are stickies that are filled with a wealth of information-

He doesn't know about this site at all. Right now I want my posts to be my own thoughts, not for him to see. Is that wrong to not want my husband to see this site??
This is my "quiet place" my 2nd family where I can come too and let out anything that I need too and not be judged. I'am not an alcoholic but I came to this site because of the many in my life and those I lost to this disease. I stayed for ME!

There is nothing wrong with keeping this to yourself-if it is going to help you focus on your recovery and that is something you do not want to share just yet then that is ok IMHO.

Glad that you are here! Keep posting
Old 10-10-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community