Notices

I don't know how to quit drinking.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know how to quit drinking.

I have tried everything I can think of but continue to go back again and again.
I can't think of anything alse to do.
This is going to kill me. Literally.
I don't know how to do this.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Hello! Welcome!:ghug3

So ur from MI too! There is another one of us here I know of for sure. I always tell people that here in MI it seems that EVERYTHING is revolved around drinking. Even the churches have beer tents at their festivals!
Anyways...have u tried going to an AA meeting? There are other alternative groups on this site to check into too...other threads on how to replace the religious aspect of AA. What about talking to ur dr?

There are a lot of people on here with so much helpful advice. U came to the right place to seek help.

Hope to read more posts from you!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Jason, I never had a problem quitting but I had a problem enjoying my sobriety and continuing it. You're right if you are an alcoholic and you continue to drink it will kill you one way or another. If you want it bad enough that you are willing to go to any lengths to get it you can be successful. Are you at that point?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Try attending AA meetings.

Get a sponsor, promise to call the sponsor before taking a drink.

Do it.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jason,

You can do it.

Hang in there and do whatever it takes.

Change your daily routines. Drive home from work a different way, eat supper at a different time, go for a long walk with your dog, anything that removes your mind from alcohol for a few minutes.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jason

The first thing to keep in the forefront is desire: do you WANT to quit drinking? If you do, then you're on the right path. You might need a support network, there are lots of programs available (AA, SMART...). Check out the forums here and find one that feels right to you, and give it a fair trial. SR in itself is an invaluable support system, so post a lot, read a lot. And keep coming back.

Good luck

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
Do it.
I second Tommy's motion!!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jason,

Mattcake is right, you gotta want it. You can't turn the corner until you make the decision or in my case begin seeing a scary health concern as a result of your drinking. Make no beans about it, over time it will kill you. If you simply don't know how, what that really means to me is "I don't want to." If you don't want to you won't stop so come to Jesus or whatever and make the decision. Once you do that there is tons of help on this site and in the real world to help you keep being sober. I was afraid of dying and that did it for me, are you?

Hill
Old 10-08-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I knew I had to stop drinking since late last year, but it took me til mid July to actually stay sober. I've got 87 days today, so you can see how long it took me to "get it right". I went thru withdrawals so many times it's painful to remember. The last time I went thru withdrawals I wasn't sure I'd live thru it. I was truly afraid I'd die, or kill myself from how awful it was.

I got thru the hardest part of it - the first few weeks - by just not drinking FOR TODAY ONLY. And kept on not drinking one day at a time. I'd been to detox/rehab three times this year but always relapsed after a few days or weeks. I guess this last time I was so sick of being sick, and so afraid, that I wanted to stay sober MORE than I wanted to drink. And I think that's the key, for me, anyway.

Do be honest with your doctor. Detox can be dangerous. Medical supervision, either in your home or a detox place, is strongly advised. AA, or one of the other recovery programs, can be very helpful. But above all else, YA GOTTA WANNA STOP!!

I wish you well! Welcome to a great place for support!

:ghug3
Old 10-08-2008, 06:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jason there are solutions for alcoholism, not cures, but ways to learn to stay sober and be happy being sober, they are called recovery programs.

I strongly encourage you first to see a doctor and be totally honest about your drinking, he may tell you that you need to be medically detoxed like I had to be.

I had passed the point of being able to go a full day without a drink, I was physically addicted as well as mentally and spiritually addicted to alcohol.

I ended 40 years of drinking by using the program of AA, contrary to what some folks say or think, there is no religion in AA, there are athiest and agnostics that stay happily sober using AA and still stay athiest or agnostic.

The reason some folks think AA is religous is because the word "God" is used, many people are incapable of seperating the word "God" from religion, heck there are people who have drank them selfs to death because of this inability.

Athiest, agnostics, Christians, Muslims, Buddhist, Taoist, etc. have all found happy sobriety in AA. Now ask your self this one very simple question, the answer will tell you that AA is not religous "Is there one single religion that could possibly be practiced by Athiest, agnostics, Christians, Muslims, Buddhist, Taoist, etc.?

Due to having been in AA for 2 years I can tell you the answer to the question to be a resounding "NO", AA is a recovery program that Athiest, agnostics, Christians, Muslims, Buddhist, Taoist, etc. have all found solid, long term recovery in.

There are other recovery programs out there besides AA, keep trying programs until you find one that works for you.

BTW I can not stress how important it is for you to see a doctor first, it is very difficult, if not impossible for some folks to get sober if they are physically addicted to alcohol safely with out medical detox.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fulldresser4

Hi fellow Michigander, welcome!! You will find much love and support here...that being said, what are you doing to try and stay sober? I know I couldn't do it by myself. AA is working for me. You are right, it will kill you eventually if you don't stop. Where are you in Michigan? Fiona is right, it does seem like everything is centered around alcohol at times, but there are plenty of places that aren't (didn't know that for a long time, LOL). Anyhow, you are in my prayers. Remember, you are NOT alone...just take it one day, or one hour, or one minute at a time.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA meetings did magic for me. ( Alano Club in Mount Clemens )
Old 10-08-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you again Jason....

God and AA are my solutions to
a healthy pleasant life.

I sure hope you too will recover
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What have you tried? If your feeling like this then I suggest thinking outside of the box. If you truly want to quit then it is time to try what others suggest instead of trying to do this on your own.

This goes back to my question, what has not worked in the past?

Remember, you can quit drinking if you want to, just take it a day or even an hour at a time.

Thanks for posting and I look forward to learning more.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Stick around and read. It's a wonderful start.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I never thought of myself as addicted, until recently. I too am having dificulty with quiting. I say to myself in the morning that I am quiting today. Then evening comes and I need "a little pick me up" and then I have to have enough to get a "buzz", and on and on. When I was young I smoked pot, and didn't drink as much then. A friend once called it being a "highaholic" when you just need to get high one way or another. I wish there were a good healthy way to feel happy.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I wish there were a good healthy way to feel happy.
coffeeboy I found happiness in AA and I do not put a single physical thing into my body, I simply keep my side of the street clean, help others and feed my spirituality.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Glad to see you again Jason....

God and AA are my solutions to
a healthy pleasant life.

I sure hope you too will recover
I was wondering if someone would notice I have been here a time or two.

Still not going well. I have attended a few AA meetings. I need to go to a doctor.
It is strange to me, I seem to be handling (occupational) life normally. I have no problem going the entire day at work not drinking. I am back in school again also. So, on days I am in school. I don't drink at all after work because I know it will effect my performance at school. But, when I'm done with school I make sure I get a few in me to make up for lost time.
Tonight, I have no plans so I managed to swallow a 12 pack in 3 1/2 hours.
pretty vicious aye? While my wife has been sleeping.
I don't get it.
Oh, Yes I want to quit. I just can't seem to figure it out.

On days like today
Old 10-16-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me seven months to quit "for real". Others here can tell you how long it took them to quit "for real", often it took years. CarolD says that the key is wanting to be sober more than you want to drink. I finally caught on to that simple truth. The times I quit, and then relapsed, I still wanted to drink. So I drank. When I finally wanted to be sober more than anything else I was able to stay sober. I'm very new to sobriety as today is only 95 days sober for me. But I know in my heart that one day at a time I can stay sober.

I've learned a new and better way of thinking. Now, when I think of drinking, I don't think of happy or fun times, I only remember the pain and misery I was putting on myself and my loved ones. For me, now, there IS no 'fun' about drinking. It's all pain and misery. And I count myself lucky that I was able to quit before something really awful happened to me or to someone else from my drinking.

Do you want to be sober more than anything else? If you do, you should be able to stay sober. I hope you will see your doctor and be honest with him/her about your drinking and your wish to be sober. I hope you can get and stay sober before it's too late.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What about treatment?

I have 6 months of sobriety and the only way I have stayed sober is because I went to 4 months of outpatient treatment, went to 90 AA meetings in 90 days, got a sponsor and started working the steps and went to counseling.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it is the only thing that worked for me. I tried for years to stop. Actually you remind me a lot of myself before I got sober. It is truly hell. I don't envy you at all.

Please know, that if you are willing to WORK HARD, there is a way out!

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Jason,

Glad you posted again. keep expressing your thoughts. Well, the first thing is you DO want to quit. Do you see it as a problem even though you are able to function, do you see yourself as powerless to quit?

It took me a while to quit too. I recognized it being a problem for me and I remember wanting to quit before I did it.

I would keep trying AA and get some phone numbers. In the meantime, keep on posting on here!

blessings! Sheila