Notices

Don't really want to quit, body making me slow down.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't really want to quit, body making me slow down.

OK, new here, I have been reading the forums for about a month, just signed up.
This might be a little long and will take me a while to word it.
I am mid 40's now and have been drinking constantly since College, not a lot eariler 4-5 beers/night (understand this may be a lot to some). But when I graduated I found a love for wine, and initially drank 2-3 glasses a day with dinner etc..

About 10 years ago I did pick-up the pace a lot and now up to 6-8 glasses of wine a night, I wake up with a hangover about once a month(usually after a dinner party), I do know I am an alcoholic, but it has never interferred with my life, no DUI's, arrest's, spousal abuse, financial, work related etc...

About 3 years ago after drinking a lot at a resort in Cancun and getting rather sick from the drinking, I noticed a feeling in my liver area getting heavy, at worst it was just a nuisance and did not bother me too much. However earlier this summer it started to bother me, some days it was hard to sit in a car, felt slight nausea and lost little weight. I knew it was the drinking.

I went to the doctor (he knows about my wine habit) and all liver panel tests look good and even had a liver sonogram done, slight fatty deposits.

In early September I decided to stop drinking for a while, went 11 days without drinking and I have to say not as bad as some of the other reports I have read on this forum. Mostly insommnia, a few night sweats and worst of all boredom!
I did get a script for ambiem from my Doc the 2nd day and that took care of the insommnia. The uncomfortable feeling in my Liver area did go away while I did not drink. I have been drinking the last few weeks and it has returned.

Now my dilemma, we love wines, have travelled to Bordeaux, Burgundy region, Champagne region, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina etc.. many times and also bid at auctions for wines until my state passed a law that would not allow shipments of wine here 5-6 years ago.
I have a collection of 500-550 bottles of wine properly stored, I looked forward to drinking some day, we do not drink $200 bottles every night but a reasonable chilean wine for our everyday wine.

I understand my life may be on the line, I was thinking of cutting out wine Monday - Thursday to rest my liver, am I a wishfull thinker?
It seems like Wine is part of my life, I do know I am addicted to it but really love it.

Sorry ahead of time if this post sound elitest or a post of a snob. I have read a lot of posts here and cannot imagine some of the pain you all go through.
Thanks, sorry if this double posted.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TPACFLIER View Post
OK, new here, I have been reading the forums for about a month, just signed up.
This might be a little long and will take me a while to word it.
I am mid 40's now and have been drinking constantly since College, not a lot eariler 4-5 beers/night (understand this may be a lot to some). But when I graduated I found a love for wine, and initially drank 2-3 glasses a day with dinner etc..

About 10 years ago I did pick-up the pace a lot and now up to 6-8 glasses of wine a night, I wake up with a hangover about once a month(usually after a dinner party), I do know I am an alcoholic, but it has never interfered with my life, no DUI's, arrest's, spousal abuse, financial, work related etc...

About 3 years ago after drinking a lot at a resort in Cancun and getting rather sick from the drinking, I noticed a feeling in my liver area getting heavy, at worst it was just a nuisance and did not bother me too much. However earlier this summer it started to bother me, some days it was hard to sit in a car, felt slight nausea and lost little weight. I knew it was the drinking.

I went to the doctor (he knows about my wine habit) and all liver panel tests look good and even had a liver sonogram done, slight fatty deposits.

In early September I decided to stop drinking for a while, went 11 days without drinking and I have to say not as bad as some of the other reports I have read on this forum. Mostly insommnia, a few night sweats and worst of all boredom!
I did get a script for ambiem from my Doc the 2nd day and that took care of the insommnia. The uncomfortable feeling in my Liver area did go away while I did not drink. I have been drinking the last few weeks and it has returned.

Now my dilemma, we love wines, have travelled to Bordeaux, Burgundy region, Champagne region, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina etc.. many times and also bid at auctions for wines until my state passed a law that would not allow shipments of wine here 5-6 years ago.
I have a collection of 500-550 bottles of wine properly stored, I looked forward to drinking some day, we do not drink $200 bottles every night but a reasonable chilean wine for our everyday wine.

I understand my life may be on the line, I was thinking of cutting out wine Monday - Thursday to rest my liver, am I a wishfull thinker?
It seems like Wine is part of my life, I do know I am addicted to it but really love it.

Sorry ahead of time if this post sound elitest or a post of a snob. I have read a lot of posts here and cannot imagine some of the pain you all go through.
Thanks, sorry if this double posted.
WELCOME!!!

Think your liver is trying to tell you something! Bottom line, what you're drinking is alcohol. 1 glass of wine=1 shot=1 bottle of beer. It is all the same, you're just paying more for yours. If you are addicted to it, you won't be able to moderate your drinking, not indefinitely anyways, and down the road you will be back to drinking on a daily basis. Not trying to be harsh, just telling you what I/we know about alcoholism. I highlighted two interesting things you wrote, you claimed drinking hadn't interfered with your life, then went on to say that you might be putting 'your life on the line' by drinking. Just some things to think about.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Sailorjohn is right. Alcohol is alcohol and it all has the same effect on our bodies.

I loved wine too, but knew I had to give it up, if I wanted to live. Your body is speaking to you and you know it is. And, yes, many of us have tried to moderate our drinking. I was very stubborn in believing I could manage it. Of course, I couldn't, not for very long anyways.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
WELCOME!!!

Think your liver is trying to tell you something! Bottom line, what you're drinking is alcohol. 1 glass of wine=1 shot=1 bottle of beer. It is all the same, you're just paying more for yours. If you are addicted to it, you won't be able to moderate your drinking, not indefinitely anyways, and down the road you will be back to drinking on a daily basis. Not trying to be harsh, just telling you what I/we know about alcoholism. I highlighted two interesting things you wrote, you claimed drinking hadn't interfered with your life, then went on to say that you might be putting 'your life on the line' by drinking. Just some things to think about.
Sorry should have been clear, meant "drinking hadn't interfered other people" I understand how a liver looks at Wine, Beer, Hard Liquor = all the same when processed by the liver.
Thanks for the reply's
Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

At some point I think all of us here have asked the question of whether or not we can control problems with alcohol. The biggest mistake we end up making is being unrealistic about the consequences and the degree of our use.

It's between you, a doctor and your family to come to terms with this apparent choice you have between your interest in wine and your health and longevity. If you're developing problems with your liver, alcohol is going to make them worse no matter if you scale back or not. Same can happen with your heart. It takes a lot of objectivity and some humility to really look at one's drinking from a distanced point of view; I hope you are able to do so.

Best of luck.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well-I live in New Zealand and I can tell you our wine has the same effect as any other if you're addicted. I loved good wines too.I loved going to vineyards and trying all the new ones, and trying all the imported ones as well etc.But eventually I didn't care what I was drinking-as long as it was some form of alcohol, because I'm an alcoholic and that's where we all end up eventually.

Your body is telling you something.I hope you listen to it.It doesn't matter if you drink a $200.00 bottle from France or a 6 dollar bottle from your local liquor store.If you're addicted, you're addicted and it all ends up in desperation.

I hope you hang around and make a decision about what you want to do.You may have a cellar full of wine worth thousands of dollars, but what is your life worth? This disease kills people.

Jules.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!

I share a lot of the same things you spoke of...hard drinking for years....no DUI's, no jail...very functional! After 3 1/2 months sober I have learned this....I really was hurting my family with my drinking. It took sobering up to realize it.

Sobriety is hard work. And worth your liver.

I wish you the very best. Please hang around here for awhile. Lots of knowledgable people around. Lots.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

You want to read about the brain and alcohol?
I find that information more frightening than a
malfunctioning liver which can be transplanted.

Alcohol and Brain

Of course ...you already know you are experienceing problems.
What you intend to do about your health is your decision.

Most alcoholics die of unchecked alcoholism
without finding solid sobriety.
I won't be one of those...will you?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry should have been clear, meant "drinking hadn't interfered other people" I understand how a liver looks at Wine, Beer, Hard Liquor = all the same when processed by the liver.
Thanks for the reply's
No apologies necessary, but I think we all need to remind ourselves of the number of people that drink themselves to death that never lose it all. And their deaths rarely get attributed to their alcoholism.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
WELCOME!!!

Think your liver is trying to tell you something! Bottom line, what you're drinking is alcohol. 1 glass of wine=1 shot=1 bottle of beer. It is all the same, you're just paying more for yours.
Actually, this is going to sound really nit-picky, but these amounts are only the same if you are actually drinking what is technically considered a serving of wine, which is only 5 ounces. I don't know about you, but when I was drinking wine, I would fill up my 8-ounce wine glass to the top and call it "one glass" when really it was more than that. AND most wine glasses are bigger than 8 ounces, so how much wine are you really drinking? (Sometimes I would fill up my 16-ounce glass and call it one glass, too). For instance, 6 8-ounce glasses of wine is REALLY 9.6 servings of wine. And if you are using larger glasses and filling them up, well... you get my point.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome TPACFLIER!
Great to have you here.

Oh boy did I love my wine too. And yes, I loved good wine and visiting wineries, etc. But I am like Jules. Many days when I was drinking alone (I did not have a cellar or a stock of wine), it did not matter what it was, as long as it produced the desired effect. Okay, I never drank really cheap or twist off wine, but I had no problem drinking an $8 bottle of wine, or even a bottle of Charles Shaw in a pinch.

I never had any physical effects from my drinking but I sure did have emitonal and spiritual ones. I knew that I was a better person than that lush I had become. And then my Dad died and it really hit me that life needs to be lived to the fullest and enjoyed as much as possible and I was not doing that by drinking every day.

Know what? 5 months down the line I do not miss it like I thought I would. I don't feel like I am missing out on a thing. But man, I am experiencing life today, like I never did when I was drinking. I love that.

Out of curiousity, what did the doctor say the pain was, if your liver is good?

On a side note. Last night I went to a class on the physical effects of alcohol on the body. I was blown away! I had no idea the sheer number of organs that alcohol damages. It might be interesting reading for you. Take a look at the link Carol provided.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I am McLovin'

I found I can still enjoy a fine wine just by sniffing my wife's glass.

just a thought.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR TPACFLIER,

You'll find some very good information here on the forum

Ed
Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobergirl77 View Post
(Sometimes I would fill up my 16-ounce glass and call it one glass, too).
I did that too, interesting what we can tell ourselves sometimes!

I have a collection of 500-550 bottles of wine properly stored, I looked forward to drinking some day,
Its hard, but you need to make the decision about what is more important...your health or your drinking.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your kind replies.
After posting I got to thinking that I must have come across as selfish and arrogant. I apologize for that.
Especially after reading threads of people here truely wanting to quit and asking for help.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No apology is needed....

We are all here to help each other and
new members are especially welcome.

I certinaly hope you will stay here
no one is upset with you.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My xah was told to stop drinking beer and have a white wine instead. Began ok, even cut it with soda water after a while. Over a year the amount increased to 3 bottles a night, he refused to get help and I walked out of a 28 year marriage. He doesn't drink at all now, not by his choice but because he is too ill. Is 72, has dementia, is bedridden in a nursing home and wants it to end for him. So does the family, because it is so painful for all. If your body is telling you something is wrong, LISTEN to it now. Later may be too late.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey Tpac,

Welcome to SR. We are from all walks of life with one common thread: Addiction.

Sounds to me like you have a passionate hobby with wines, and an impressive collection. Don't worry about that wine today.

You have tried some stints of sobriety like most of us. I have also tried some "liver vacations". My understanding of those vacations is that you need to be sober 30-60 days for benefits to begin.

I came to SR like you did looking for support to become sober because I had health concerns. You and I are close in age, length of drinking and consumption. SR has been a wonderful source of support and information.

Why not try sobriety again with some help with everyone here at SR. Be patient with yourself. When you feel healthier and confident, then make some decisions about your wine collection. One day at a time. The answers will come.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Tpac,

I'm like you in the sense that I'm thinking that if I only drink on the weekends, it'll be ok. I'm only on day 4, so it's hard to say what will happen. I guess I have to admit that I don't know if I'm ready to quit completely either. I still want to enjoy my wine too, even though I wasn't drinking anything near expensive as yours. I was drinking that cheap wine in a box because it's easier to hide that way & cheaper. No one can see how many glasses you're drinking. I can't offer many words of wisdom, but there's many people here who can. I plan to stick around for a while. Hope you do too.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Tpac a lot of great stuff said above! I just want to say Welcome and please stick around! There is a lot of support all over SR! Please check out the other forums and the stickies at the top of each forum as the are filled with a wealth of information!

Glad that you found us and know that you are not alone in this-

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing!