Notices

day 8-need some advice/help!

Old 10-06-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 8-need some advice/help!

Hey there eveyone.

I am new on this site and need some words of advice or encouragement. I am on my 8th day sober....I am going to my 7th AA meeting this evening and they are helping. My problem is this.....I am so MAD at myself for having been drunk for the last 30 days and basically coming to a complete standstill in my job.

I work in sales and I had more than 100 leads literally knocking on my door and emailing me. What did i do? I decided that I would get back to them later and had a drink instead. Now that I am sober.....no leads, nada, zip!! Why? Why? Why? It as though after one year of functioning drunk and receiving all that I needed to get by in my job, now that I am setting things right from the bottom line....there is nothing for me to do workwise! I do not even have the energy to start from scratch.

I keep telling myself that all that matters is that I am getting clean but I cannot help but think that maybe I should be doing more toward my work. The problem is, it is taking all of my waking thoughts to stay sober. I am afraid to "go out into the world" as I always did for fear of slipping back into old habits. I used alcohol to jumpstart my creativity and lead follow up. Now that it is gone...nothing! I am getting by and doing basics like shopping, walking, taking care of my child but little else! Any advice or thoughts?

HELP! Thanks.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Daria,

I own my own company and am the lead on all sales. As we sit here today I have a bunch of old leads that probably aren't worth much because I'm too hungover every day to call them. When I drink I lose my motivation to do much of anything. When I quit a few months ago for 45 days I brought on more business than I had in a year. Alcohol demotivates me as I'm sure it does you. Sobriety however is the most important thing to both of us right now and should be our focus daily, hourly, etc. Do the best you can with the leads since they are old now and get FIRED UP that you are gonna dominate as a sober individual in the very near future. If that isn't motivation to stay sober I don't know what is. Once the haze is gone for me I'm back at it, but I see myself being lazy tomorrow as well. Hopefully once the booze is out of my body and I am detoxed, I'll be back at it with vigor!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks-still need encouragement-hope

:chatterThanks hilltopper-

How long have you been sober? Did you have no desire and drive at first as well? I am so worried that it will never come back! My husband said something the other day and I cringed! He said, you were so on fire when you were drinking....you sold more in 3 months of heavy drinking then you have the entire time we have been together! HA! What do I do with that?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daria,

I am glad you found us!

I was very much like you. In the last months of my drinking, I become more and more isolated and my early recovery was very much just getting through the day. I started out slowly and tried to do more as I felt better. Eight days sober is just great, but it is still early days, and you can be sure that you feel better in a few weeks and again in a few months. I think us addicts want everything to be fixed right now, and it doesn't usually work that way. Be patient with yourself.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Daria, Welcome to SR. Congratulations on your 8 days.

I agree with Anna. I also drank in isolation at the end of my drinking. The beginning of sobriety is tough, but it gets better everyday little by little. I'm glad your going to meetings that will help a lot. I'm also in AA.

Hang in there, and keep posting and reading. There's a lot of good stuff on here.

Barb

Last edited by scaredykat; 10-06-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Daria,

I'm back on day one although I made it 45 days earlier this year. I think although you had some short term success with sales while drinking, what will happen over time is the physical effects of the alcohol will takes it's toll. When you can't handle the hangovers, you'll sit around and surf the net rather pick up the phone and call. It has to me which is why I mentioned not feeling well right now. Alcohol wins long term, you can't beat it so don't even try. It will take away any and all motivation you had day by day.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 8 days. That is awesome!
I agree with Hilltopper. I'm in sales as well. For some time, I was fired up....very motivated. But toward the end of my drinking it was just as Hilltopper said....no motivation, I'd rather nurse a hangover and surf the net. Or sometimes just start drinking too early to make any calls.

Do not beat yourself up over the past. There are so many things I've done, so many things I missed, so many things I screwed up. Of course I've thought about that, but I need to move on...move forward. I cant regret all the stupid things I've done. All I can do is do my best from this point forward.

And I do understand how hard it is to function right now. My life is so consumed with meetings, reading, and thinking about staying sober. I'm at 2 weeks and just starting to feel like I'm getting back in the groove of work.

Take care....keep coming back for support!