SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Staying hungry (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/159251-staying-hungry.html)

Hope 10-06-2008 09:48 AM

Staying hungry

(Disclaimer: I am planning to visit a doctor about this.)

I am not sure what is going on with me. I stay hungry. I eat something and within an hour, I am hungry again. I have never been like this before. It's like I don't feel full.

Yesterday, I felt dizzy and then realized that I hadn't eaten anything in a few hours.

I am just so worried that alcohol has really screwed my body up.

I am trying to eat healthier. I am going for low sugar snacks and healthy things. I want to take care of my body. I am tired of destroying myself. It's still early on so I have lots of healing to do.

Latte 10-06-2008 09:54 AM

Yep, time to see a doctor and please be honest. That is the only way they can help you.

Eclipse 10-06-2008 10:16 AM

Go to the doc. I went and told everything and had all the tests done. When they all came back normal it is such a relief and now I feel even more strongly about doing the right thing.

Hope 10-06-2008 10:16 AM

I am going to be honest with the doctor about everything.

This is a new starting point in my life and I just want to take care of myself the best I can.

Time for full physical.
Even though I'm scared. :(

I just keep thinking that I have ruined my health and I'm still in my 20s. I feel very sad about it today.

NewDayNow 10-06-2008 10:25 AM

Hi hope

Had and still have this problem. Either I crave something sugary or I crave something something

Dizzy- I get dehydrated or I’m in sugar crash.

The sugar craving- I eat a pickle. It seems to work for me. Probably purely a mental trick, but it works. Maybe something else will work for you. Try a few deferent things.

It’s the something, something craving that I can’t satisfy, that I have a problem with. A subconscious desire for alcohol, Maybe?

Ed

Eclipse 10-06-2008 10:27 AM

Better to know, plus you'd be amazed what our bodies can handle. I was shocked that I was okay and I've been drinking alot in the last couple of years. Just keep that in your head when you are tempted to drink.

I find I am hungrier too and crave sugar.

Hope 10-06-2008 10:39 AM

The last few years when I was drinking, I had a horrible diet.... consisting mostly of alcohol and junk food.

Now my body has a shock because I have thrown it into a major overhaul. No alcohol, healthy diet/exercise. It's weird.

I think the healthier diet and exercise will help some of it.

I do have a "something, something" craving that I can't ever put my finger on. It's like I'm searching for something to fill me up but can't find what I am looking for.

I am going to try to get out and exercise today. :)

Hopefully that will help lift my mood too. I'm having a down day today.

stone 10-06-2008 10:58 AM

It could be sugar cravings, real ones because your body is used to constant sugar from alcohol, I know a lot of recovering alkies go on a hypo-glycemic diet when the sober up.

I know that 'something, something' craving too! Yuk!

I am glad you are seeing your Doc. :)

dimax 10-06-2008 11:03 AM

I am on day number 7 and I crave something sugary all day long , but I will wait with doc visit with that

Hope 10-06-2008 11:52 AM

Thanks everyone!

bostonluv 10-06-2008 01:50 PM

Could be an ulcer too. Glad you're going to see a doctor. Better to have it checked out and put your mind at ease or gets meds if it's an ulcer.

Hope 10-08-2008 12:57 PM

Just a quick update:

This situation improved after a few days. I started eating healthier and exercising and in a few days, I noticed that my body was doing much better. Now I don't get hungry every hour. I get hungry at appropriate times and eat at regular intervals.

One thing I do is to break it down and eat more smaller meals throughout the day instead of only a few larger ones.

I enjoy knowing that I am taking care of my body now. :Val004:

Pinkcuda 10-08-2008 03:07 PM

I have to second exactly what Stone told you. Alcohol is sugar. You gave up Alcohol. and you're eating healthier. Alcohol is really sugar if you didn't know that. That's a double whammy in the sugar department. You are craving Sugar. Your Doctor won't tell you to eat Oreos, but I will.

Rowan 10-08-2008 03:16 PM

I know alcoholics who have been sober a long time and still eat a lot of sugar/junk - I have a major sweet tooth and this is all the excuse I needed! "I don't have sugar from booze anymore - I need to get it somewhere! My body is craving it!" I've been sober long enough now to differentiate the difference between a physical and a mental craving. For me, moderation is key. Oreos once in a while? No problem. But NOT 7 or 8 in one sitting, several nights a week. That's not good for the body either.

Just my three cents :)

back2theliving 10-08-2008 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rowan (Post 1938237)
I know alcoholics who have been sober a long time and still eat a lot of sugar/junk - I have a major sweet tooth and this is all the excuse I needed! "I don't have sugar from booze anymore - I need to get it somewhere! My body is craving it!" I've been sober long enough now to differentiate the difference between a physical and a mental craving. For me, moderation is key. Oreos once in a while? No problem. But NOT 7 or 8 in one sitting, several nights a week. That's not good for the body either.

Just my three cents :)

7 or 8 you are doing good lol~ I know uts bad but 7 or 8 is better than me probably my weakness is carmel or penutbutter cups yum:codiepolice

Hope 10-08-2008 07:10 PM

I am trying to maintain balance. I am still learning.

I'm trying to lose some of the weight that I gained while I was drinking so I cut back my food intake. However, I do indulge in the occasional sugar craving.

I have a major sweet tooth. I have a tendency to overdo anything. I have to be very careful. :)

I love oreos, by the way. Haha, I have to keep that in check!

I don't readily keep a stock of sugary snacks in my apartment but at times when I get the urge, I go out and splurge on a sugary treat.

Again, it all comes down to balance.

Hope 10-08-2008 07:11 PM

And now I'm craving oreos, LOL!

Rowan 10-08-2008 07:26 PM

Dammit so am I!

Hope 10-08-2008 07:30 PM

haha, Oreos

I can look but I can't touch. The closest thing that maybe I could get is the 100 calorie oreos but still not like the real deal...

:c041:
:a043:

Rowan 10-08-2008 07:40 PM

I know - not even close. Those little bags of Oreo thinsations? I can scarf down 3 or 4 bags. So I don't keep them in the house. My daughter likes the real Oreos for her lunch though so I buy them - and the deal is that she hides them at bedtime. Otherwise I rise from my bed like Frankenstein and eat eat eat!
Tonight I bought ginger cookies - but even they were too dangerous to risk leaving in the kitchen. They are now hidden with the Oreos. :(