Notices

I'm new. My 18 yo is an Oxycontin smoker.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new. My 18 yo is an Oxycontin smoker.

Hi all. I am new here. I found the forum a couple of nights ago when searching online for more information about methadone.

My daughter is 18, just graduated from high school this past summer. She held two great jobs from the time she was 16 until about 4 months ago. During her senior year, she finished a year of college, 9 classes. Then, her boyfriend introduced her to the 'wonderful' world of Oxycontin, shortly before she graduated. It has been Hell for her, and for our small family (mainly me) ever since.

Just last Monday, I got her started at methadone treatment at a nearby clinic. I tried to convince her and the counselor to put her on Suboxone. I didn't care about the cost... $500+ a month vs. $300 for the methadone (her insurance does not cover substance abuse). But it was ultimately her decision. My daughter and the doctor decided to go the methadone route and my feelings went unheard as I sat in the waiting room. Unfortunately, I don't have much say in anything.

It's been nearly a week. I don't think she has smoked the Oxy (she still has money in her wallet!), but I'm pretty sure she is still smoking pot. That doesn't concern me as much right now, although I'm not sure if that's a good attitude to have or not. It's the oxycontin that scares the hell out of me.

Anyway, I am thankful for this community of support and hope to learn from your experiences and advice.

~357girl
(My username is for my Taurus 357 magnum revolver that I bought in 1989, which now sits safely untouched at my father's home. The gun range days are over for now. Also, not hardly a girl at 38 years old, but, it's nice to look back at those days.)
Old 10-05-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you and your daughter are going through this. I have no advice or thoughts on methadone versus suboxone. However, I did watch a documentary on methadone that was very interesting and the message seemed to be that it's for life and not meant to be gotten off of eventually. That was concerning. I'm not sure how biased that program was but it was sad. I also know that smoking oxy is deadly so I hope she will stick to a recovery prgram. I'd also encourage you to find a website that specifically deals with this particular drug as it has it's own uniquiness and appeal.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your daughter will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope she gets the help she needs. The fact you are supporting her is a good sign and even though it won't be easy, don't give up.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR! Glad that you found us-So sorry that you are going through this

There is a lot of support here in these forums-

Please check out our "Friends & Family" forum and the stickies provide a wealth of
information which are located at the top of the forums.

Keep posting!