Notices

lbs

Old 10-04-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

lbs

Sorry if this thread seems superficial but i am curious...

Did anybody notice that they either gained or lost weight after they quit drinking? Like in the first few months?

I thought people would lose weight after quitting drinking because they wouldnt be drinking so many calories. But then i hear some people say they gained weight because they started eating normally again. Just wondering what is the norm?
Old 10-04-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had lost about 10 pounds during my last months of drinking because I didn't care much about food. I quickly gained it back when I stopped drinking.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I had no weight swings either way.
Even during my heaviest drinking...I ate.

I also used the eating plan in "Under The Influence"
for about the first 6 months of this recovery.
I consider that helped me immensley.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sorry to say, I didn't lose. I was sure I would, since I was drinking so much beer every day. I replaced the beer calories with sugar (candy & ice cream especially). Finally now those cravings have tapered off and I can control them, but it took about 6 mos. for me.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I gained about 20lbs with my experience being similar to Anna's.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I lost a lot of weight when I quit drinking - approx 15 lbs. I started eating healthier foods (vs. the fatty stuff I wolfed down before drinking), and substituted booze with diet drinks and water FWIW, I've always been on the "skinny" side of the spectrum. Pure alcohol has the same amount of calories per gram as fat.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have 93 days sober today, and have lost 15 pounds so far. Besides not drinkung, I have avoided the fast food, etc. The one frustrating thing is none of my pants fit, and I am afraid to buy new ones right now because I might lose more (Not that I want to). It may be a "problem", but It's alot better than dealing with the "bottle"!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I lost fortey pounds from drinking. I rarely ate. My nutrition was juice mix. I gained 60 pds when I quit. I ate constantly. 20 mo sober and still trying to lose it. But I think "better fat and happy than thin and drunk". I still get comments from those who saw me when I entered sobriety. I am lovin it!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Now that it's been over a month *ahem- six whole weeks ladies and gents* looking at the trend, I think I've lost weight. I didn't want to. I generally struggle to keep enough on, as part of that struggle I don't own a scale. Judging by clothes fit I've lost a few pounds. But I'm also stressed out in school and I "forget" to eat a lot... it seems like too much trouble. I drink a lot of coffee. It's on my list of things to address when I don't have to put one foot in front of the other so much. But on the other hand, alcohol has a ton of calories, I drank a lot of beer which is a higher-calorie thing, so maybe it's just beer chub coming off. I try not to think about it.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I lost weight at first and then gained some with candy/ice cream fixation. Then lost some. I'm about 10 lbs lighter now. I'm 11 weeks sober tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me, I lost 10 pounds quickly! Wasn't consuming all those calories from the wine anymore and when I drank, I snacked. I am now pretty much evened out though. Now I have to diet if I want to lose more, which I would love to.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have lost about 25 pounds since I stopped drinking. I figure I cut about 2,000 calories out of my daily diet when I quit, so even though I worry about eating all the sugar that I crave now I pretty much let myself do it.

I think it just proves how malnurished my body was before I quit drinking.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I weighed 147 pounds when I quit drinking ... I'm at 205 today. Have been 6'-5" that whole time. Got as high as 255 at one point, but joined Weight Watchers to help shed that fifty.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
Now that it's been over a month *ahem- six whole weeks ladies and gents* looking at the trend, I think I've lost weight. I didn't want to. I generally struggle to keep enough on, as part of that struggle I don't own a scale. Judging by clothes fit I've lost a few pounds. But I'm also stressed out in school and I "forget" to eat a lot... it seems like too much trouble. I drink a lot of coffee. It's on my list of things to address when I don't have to put one foot in front of the other so much. But on the other hand, alcohol has a ton of calories, I drank a lot of beer which is a higher-calorie thing, so maybe it's just beer chub coming off. I try not to think about it.
NO FAIR SELF SEEKING!!! I want that problem! LOL! Never had a problem keeping weight on though.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rainbowgirl128 View Post
Sorry if this thread seems superficial but i am curious...

Did anybody notice that they either gained or lost weight after they quit drinking? Like in the first few months?

I thought people would lose weight after quitting drinking because they wouldnt be drinking so many calories. But then i hear some people say they gained weight because they started eating normally again. Just wondering what is the norm?
Okay, I lost about 25-30 lbs. after I stopped drinking, actually was able to wear clothing-jeans-that I couldn't get into for almost two decades! The catch-I stayed involved in a seriously codependent relationship, the worrying, fear, etc, kept me from eating! Would not recommend this as a weight loss program! If you're happy and sober, you can take the weight off later!
Old 10-05-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
NO FAIR SELF SEEKING!!! I want that problem! LOL! Never had a problem keeping weight on though.
lol... You'd be sad if you had pathetic T&A too!
Old 10-05-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for everyone's responss
Old 10-05-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I ate tons even while I was drinking.
Since I quit drinking 5 months ago I have lost a little over 30 pounds.
I also joined a gym when I quit drinking and work out about 5-6 hours a week.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I haven't darnk for 26 days and have lost 10 lbs. Wine adds lots of empty calories. My problem now is just drinking enough water!