Notices

How much is too much?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How much is too much?

I have been experiencing severe financial problems for about two years now. I have always been a drinker, but never ever considered it a problem. But for the last year, I have really increased the amount I drink. I can get up and work all day just fine, but once I am home, I will have several drinks until I just go to bed. I went on depression meds about 2 years ago, when this all started, but that is not enough. I definately hide how much I drink from my family. I will drink a few beers every night, and go to a back room to get a couple shots of whiskey several times also. I am pretty sure I can just quit anytime, but it is the only way to escape the worries and I don't want to stop. I am going through about on fith of whiskey and about 6-9 beers every 3 days. How do you know when you are drinking too much? How much is too much?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey coffeeboy... I really feel your name btw. There are lots of "stickies" in the alcoholism forum that might be helpful to you. Welcome to SR!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter how much I was drinking but for me the fact that I was hiding my drinking from people was a huge red flag. Why be sneaky about my booze if I didn't have a problem?

Are you drinking to escape the financial worries but the booze is just making them worse? It was like that for me.

Regards,

C
Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It depends on how it is progressing. For me 1 drink is too much because I am an alcoholic. When I have 1, I cannot predict the outcome. At some point I lost the ability to control the amount I had to drink after I have the first drink.

Now you might not be at this point which is good, but consider a few other things;
-How much do you spend on alcohol a week and is that part of the reason you are experiencing financial difficulties?
-Is your drinking affecting your health?
-I have been on anti depressants while drinking and my experience is that the anti depressants do not work when mixed with alcohol as alcohol is a depressant.
-Lastly, did you tell the Dr. who prescribed the anti depressants about the amount of alcohol that you drink on a daily basis?

I would say if drinking has a negative impact on your life, then your drinking too much.

Hope that helps, thanks for posting and welcome to sober recovery!

Old 10-04-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Coffee, welcome to SR

I struggled with this question for years. Amounts, frequency... Same with labels... "alcoholic", "problem drinker", "alcohol abuse/dependence"... Very confusing. So this is what eventually worked for me, a few months ago. I answered this question as honestly as I possibly could - in a nutshell:

Would your life be better without alcohol?

I grudgingly admitted that YES, it would be better. And that's what I centred on, because it made the effort to quit worthwhile. When you strip drinking from all stigmas and theory, and focus on what it means to YOU, sometimes the answer is simple. And it can even make sense I find this is the only way to overcome the ambivalence most of us feel toward drinking - loving it and hating it simultaneously. So try to see beyond the ambivalence and answer that question honestly. Good luck
Old 10-04-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Could I be as bold as to suggest that the fact you are on a site called Sober Recovery asking the question means you already sort of know the answer to your own question !!

How about just not drinking for this weekend, it'll let you know if you can just quit anytime, if you can do it no problem then ............... great fine, you've saved a small bit of money as well.

If you can't you'll find plenty of support here.

Hope you find what your looking for, welcome to SR.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

Drinking to avoid mental and emotional anxiety and pain can be just as problematic as any physiological addiction.

You know you're drinking too much when it leads to unwanted problems that keep re-occurring.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Lots of good answers and information in the posts here.

But really, only you can decide for yourself, as each of us have decided for ourselves.

Keep coming back.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The fact that you are thinking about how much you drink, and questioning it, suggests to me that you already know what's "too much". Try to cut down or stop altogether and see how you do. That might give you your answer.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's too much. Get some help.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Coffeeboy,

The amount and frequency (in my opinion) really doesn't matter. I lost the ability to stop once I had the first drink. I tried SEVERAL times, always losing to that simple task. My sick mind always told me I could control it, but I NEVER could. While only you can decide if you are an alcoholic, typical symtoms (besides the ability to stop at one drink) include hiding the drinking, increasing your intake, and your mind telling you that you can stop completely any time you want.

Why don't you try to drink one drink next time, and stop for the night? Or better yet, see if you can not drink for 10 days and see how you fare. Lastly, if you are honest with yourself, try taking one of these screening tests:

AA Alcoholics Anonymous 20 Questions AA Twenty Questions of A.A. Rehab, AA, addiction treatment, addiction recovery

If I drink alcohol, How Much is Too Much? www.AlcoholScreening.org

Are You An Alcoholic?

Alcoholism Screening Quiz

If you feel you may have a problem, I suggest talking to your doctor, see a conselor, or attending an AA meeting. What do you honestly have to lose?? At the very least, feel free to read or contribute here on SR in anyway you feel comfortable with.

Good luck, and I wish you the best. Just be honest with yourself...
Old 10-04-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let's see about alcohol and you....

What is moderation?

According to the Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
As you can see....you are well over moderate drinking.

To get a look at the financial end...
save your check out slips for a month.

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

1)
But for the last year, I have really increased the amount I drink.
2)
How do you know when you are drinking too much?

3)
I am pretty sure I can just quit anytime
It's Time!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Could I be as bold as to suggest that the fact you are on a site called Sober Recovery asking the question means you already sort of know the answer to your own question !!

How about just not drinking for this weekend, it'll let you know if you can just quit anytime, if you can do it no problem then ............... great fine, you've saved a small bit of money as well.

If you can't you'll find plenty of support here.

Hope you find what your looking for, welcome to SR.
LOTS of helpful replies, a lot of you really make sense. It was very hard for me, but I did not have a drink last night. I actually went a year once a couple years ago, but once I start, I keep going. I think many are right, I already know I have a problem, and have never admitted it. I was just depressed last night. When I drink, I don't feel depressed (I know it is suppose to be a depressant). I think I will try to quit. I don't know how much I want too. I do wish to thank everyone for their comments. Some very insightful people here. Thank you.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How much is too much?

One sip of the poison will kill me in the end...
Old 10-06-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My wife is gone overnight to visit family. That is when I am more likley to drink, since I don't have to hide it. Too bad... I decided to have a drink. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you're asking... then you probably know

Financial problems, new baby, etc... I had all of those. I drank as little as 4 and as much as 1 1/2 fifths of 80 Proof.

I, too, wondered if I drank too much.

I, too, didn't think it was a problem because I went to work; drank until I "went to sleep".

I don't say all of this to demean your situation at all. I say this because that fifth every two or three days tuned into 1/2 gallons every 2 or 3 days, which became 1/2 gallons every other day.

When I hit bottom, I did it out of shame and fear... but worked the steps and go to AA meetings (real world) and read, etc.

Let me ask this; Have you ever promised yourself you wouldn't drink for X amount of days? Did you make it? Was it easy?

I first was able to take a week off (I called it a "DT Check": no trembles, no alcoholism). Eventually I couldn't take a night off and I was on the verge of drinking all day. Hangovers stopped, chest pains, jitters and shakes took their place.

To stop hitting bottom, all you have to do is stop digging. But the shovel stays in the hole.

Best of luck.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, I just up and quit about two years ago. I quit for one year. I was trying to lose some weight. I was very depressed that year. All it took was a beer at a friends house and I started back up. And yes it has slowly increased. What you say is pretty close to home. I say I am going to quit, and I might go one day, but usually that is it. Those are very few and far between anymore (usually after a bad hangover). I am pretty confused about it all. People are right in the fact that I came here, and that is a sign that there is a problem.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Coffeeboy,

I'm NOT picking on you, but I stand by my original post / suggestions as a test. You may have quit a few years back, but alcoholism is a progressive disease - it gets worse and never better. If you are familiar with the big book, or have a copy (you can actually read it online on the AA website) I suggest you read page 30. You have to make the decision - but realize you are not unique or alone, as we have all been in your shoes.

Again, I wish you the best, and to be honest with yourself.

Tom

Originally Posted by rurdy2rk View Post
Welcome Coffeeboy,

The amount and frequency (in my opinion) really doesn't matter. I lost the ability to stop once I had the first drink. I tried SEVERAL times, always losing to that simple task. My sick mind always told me I could control it, but I NEVER could. While only you can decide if you are an alcoholic, typical symtoms (besides the ability to stop at one drink) include hiding the drinking, increasing your intake, and your mind telling you that you can stop completely any time you want.

Why don't you try to drink one drink next time, and stop for the night? Or better yet, see if you can not drink for 10 days and see how you fare. Lastly, if you are honest with yourself, try taking one of these screening tests:

AA Alcoholics Anonymous 20 Questions AA Twenty Questions of A.A. Rehab, AA, addiction treatment, addiction recovery

If I drink alcohol, How Much is Too Much? www.AlcoholScreening.org

Are You An Alcoholic?

Alcoholism Screening Quiz

If you feel you may have a problem, I suggest talking to your doctor, see a conselor, or attending an AA meeting. What do you honestly have to lose?? At the very least, feel free to read or contribute here on SR in anyway you feel comfortable with.

Good luck, and I wish you the best. Just be honest with yourself...