Notices

big melt down on the home front

Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

big melt down on the home front

I'm glad I'm not drinking anymore or I'd be sh!t faced right now.

THings on the home front have just blown up in my face. My so called "friend and mentor" from my church, who engineered the "temporary private foster home" for my 16 yr old defiant daughter last November, is now telling me that "we're not 'ready' to live together yet". Well, I think a year is temporary enough, but when I tell my "friend" that, she says my kid is not "ready" to live with me again and the kid "has a voice in this matter". So now my "disability" will be used against me and my daughter will not come back to live with me until she's "ready", which will be never, as I can't provide the good life she has in the foster home.

I will likely have to take my "friend" to court to dissolve the temporary guardianship she got when I signed papers giving her temporary custody. I see now that was a mistake. My 16 yr old is a classic example of Oppositional Defiant Disorder. We just can't get along much of the time. I love her dearly, she's my last baby, and even tho we're often at odds, I want to be her mother again.

THis "friend" and her (wealthy) husband have been very very good to me/us in the last few years. Beginning with informal family counseling (she's a LISW) and giving me, yes giving, a van to use. She has helped me out financially a lot, and I feel quite beholden to her. But now I feel no debt to her in wanting my daughter back at home with me. I am SO DISTRAUGHT right now, but even if a thousand wine bottles were in the house I would not drink the sh!t. It's a burden I don't need, on top of the other ones.

I am all tied up in knots right now and am so anxious it's hard to sit still. I am shaking with anger and betrayal. My "friend" didn't tell me exactly what was in the papers I signed, but I should have read them. I trusted her to arrange a 'temporary' home, a year is long enough.

I feel violated and slapped in the face. I talked to daughter a bit and told her nicely what was going on and what I desired to happen. She sounded sleepy so I'll call her tomorrow. She must have been sleepy or she would have been rather rude, like she often is.

She's aggravating as hell sometimes, but so was I at 16. Now I know what I put my parents thru, and how I'm lucky to have survived those years, with all the stupid stuff I did.

So I'm hoping and praying that daughter will agree to moving back home by Thanksgiving. She really has no advantage in moving back home, except for being with her cat, and really likes living "the good life" in a nice neighborhood. I feel completely helpless and stupid and less than adequate. I feel useless and unwanted.

Sorry to whine but just had to dump it all here so I wouldn't have any thoughts about dumping it... in a glass. I'd rather not be feeling anything right now, but don't know any good ways of getting numb. So I feel like I've taken a shower with a fiberglass washcloth.

I hate feeling like this. I love my daughter but also mad as hell at her for liking her surroundings more than me. You know what's the best thing about having kids: raising them. You know what's the worst thing about having kids: raising them. I wish it were possible to be perfect. Then I wouldn't have to "fight" over her living with me. I feel betrayed by my 'friend', for all that she's done so much for me, she just as much as told me I'd have to fight her in court to get her back. Sh!t. I'm tired of feeling so tired. I'm sober and should feel good but I don't right now. Sorry for crying about it.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I don't have anything wonderful to say..just wanted to send you this:

((((((Least))))))))
Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(hugs)
Old 10-01-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aw least...this is some very hard stuff to have to deal with and of course you don't feel good right now!!!!!! The very first thing you need to do is what you just did...let it out...let people know what is going on...And you will probably need to do more of that.

I'm not sure i could even have written a coherant sentance if i were expereinceing the emotions you must be going through right now.

Just for tonight give your self permision to be human and feel (not drink, of course, but you know that).

We all care about you least!!!

Big giant hugggggg!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh......What a situation Least. I don't have children. I can't imagine the type of feelings you are going through right now.

Kathleen
Old 10-01-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i'm sorry you're hurting. i'm sending the love.....
Old 10-01-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Least,

Hang in there. Pulling for you

Ed
Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have any children, so please keep that in mind and feel free to discard any and all "advice" as you see fit (unlike some vice-presidential candidates, I'll admit when I don't have experience in certain areas:-)).

First I would write a letter to you daughter calmly explaining what's happening from your perspective and what you would like to happen in the future. Of course the whole time reassuring her how much you love her and want the best for her. I think sending a letter has many advantages. First, as you alluded to, talking with her can go in one ear and out the other depending on a variety of factors (e.g., sleepiness, school, favorite show is on in 5 minutes, broke up with boyfriend). A letter is tangible and can be held. I know this sounds old-fashioned, but which do you prefer to get: an email or an actual letter someone took the "time and effort" to write and post? Letters just seem to attach to the soul so much more easily. Second, she can read it when she wants to and in private (that ultimate sanctuary of the teenager). You don't have to "force her to listen", which breeds instant resentment in almost all teenagers. Third, she can re-read it as many times as she likes and digest it at her own pace. Fourth, she has time to contemplate her own position and responses in all this.

While teenagers can be quite difficult (I was a pain in the arse as well), I agree with your "friend" that your daughter does have a say. Care must be taken to ensure it is her view being expressed and not being unduly influenced by one side or the other.

Next, I would contact legal counsel, if you haven't already. This world is way too litigious, but once you're in all that muck, you'd better have someone there to guide you through.

I wish you luck. Try to stay positive. I admire your courage and strength and I think you are spot on in that, while you recognize a desire to be "numb", that drinking will only worsen your problems.

Take care of yourself.

BMUS
Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BMUS has offered some good advice, I think. I am also childless so I have no experience. I will keep you in my thoughts and send love to you. You've done so well and I really admire you for that!

Love,

Lenina
Old 10-01-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry sweetie... I can't imagine what you must be going through.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Least,

First of all, big hugs for ya darlin. I have a 14 year old son and I can't IMAGINE going through something like this with him. I can only imagine what you must be thinking and feeling right now. I wish there was something I could do or say to help, or to make it better. You did the right thing by posting and venting and letting off steam.

I just wanted to speak up even though I don't have anything helpful to say. PM me anytime if you want to talk more.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Least I think too that BeamMeUp has great advice....

I will just send you prayers and strength ....and Pssssssssssst CRY CRY it helps! Do not hold in!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers for your peace...:
Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 10-02-2008, 04:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Can you find a NEUTRAL third party, and bounce your perspective off them?

Ultimately, what you want is what will build the best LONGTERM relationship with your daughter.

Find a way to work WITH the issues, not buck against them. (This does not mean to agree with the friend's perspective, but rather it means to identify the underlying perceptions and factors why your friend and your daughter think she is better off there instead of with you. Then work with those issues and see if there are a variety of options, not just a black one and a white one. ) There are many ways to view something, and come to solutions. Find your choices, and negotiate something that works, given that your goal is as above: the best longterm relationship you can muster with your daughter.

I have found that when I feel stuck in a seemingly un-"winnable" situation, it is because I have limited my perspective and decided ahead of time that there are only choice A and choice B and I'm stuck in a paradigm that I need to change, in order to get to the whole range of choices that ACTUALLY exist. But to do so, I have to be open-minded, and brutally honest with myself. Usually, I'm stuck in a paradigm because there is something I'm not willing to budge on, that is holding back my thinking.

Sorry it's so stressful! It really, really hurts to feel betrayed, and angry.

CLMI
Old 10-02-2008, 05:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

AFter a bad night's sleep I feel worse than ever. It feels like the "recovering alky with mental health issues" is being pitted against the bright professional influential upstanding citizen, which seems like a no-brainer, at least at first look.

It is my opinion that my daughter and I will never get along "well" until she's out of the house and on her own, much as it was with the now 21 yr old, who was a nightmare when she was in her teen years living at home. We now have a decent relationship, due to her having had some experience being on her own as an adult.

16 yr old may well be the same. We may never get along until she's had a chance to see me "from a different perspective" than the view of child to parent. So how can I get a judge to understand that I love my daughter enough to live with HER "mental health issues", for which she is undergoing her own counseling and has been prescribed prozac. It doesn't look good to me.

I still feel like I'm being forced to ascend the gallows. It feels like all the good I've accomplished is for naught, and my past will be brought up and used against me.

I did not wake up feeling hopeful this morning, rather woke up with a bad headache and felt like sh!t. What a difference a night makes - not.

Still sober, but feel like I'm living in a permanent hangover.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I'm thinking about you today...
Old 10-02-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Least,

First of all, I am always on your side. I just want to say that up front. Our struggles with sobriety and wellbeing and our open sharing here at SR makes us both vulnerable allies. If I say something here to upset you, I'm sorry. But I think I can give something more valuable by being honest than I can by holding back my thoughts.

I know you are hurting and I am so sorry for your pain. I hope that you can find your way through it and I'm so incredibly glad that you are not drinking.

That being said - When I was 16 my parents sent me to live with a family that I did not know at all in a state half-way across the country. I was scared by the move but felt like it was potentially my only way to save myself. I was drinking and fighting with my parents over every tiny thing. I had a boyfriend 6 years older than me and I was having unprotected sex. I had been raped two years earlier. I was filled with self-loathing, confusion and chaos. My parents seemed to view me as the problem rather than seeing that I was dealing with many obstacles in my life as well as I could. In fact, they said that I was a sociopath and that I didn't know the difference between right and wrong.

Their views of me were so off base and so defensive of their own actions. They just couldn't take any responsibility for how my life had been strangled and distorted by actions that they themselves had taken. (We had moved from very rural KY to Brooklyn NY when I was 14 and they had been unavailable and contemptuous of me my whole childhood. I had been sexually assaulted repeated as a child by a friend of theirs and they'd refused to belive it.) I had a very hard time believing that they had my best interests at heart.

When they sent me to Colorado to live with another family (all done informally without the courts) I was scared but hopeful. This family saved my life. They treated me witih respect and dignity and they allowed me to slowly become ther person I am today. They didn't judge me. They guided me. They got me medical care I needed including therapy. For the first time in my life, I had food every day in the house. Good, healthy food.

I am forever grateful for the time I spent with this family. I finished highschool there and moved away when I went to college. Having this time away from my parents and their chaotic, judgemental, defensive attitude allowed me AND my parents to eventually grow into a loving adult relationship.

If my parents had sent me to another home, and then demanded my return when I had clearly found a more peaceful environment, there is no way I would've seen it as anything other than selfish. I was doing well right where I was. No I feel grateful to my parents for being willing to admit that they were not able to provide the best home for me -- that for whatever reasons, we were not able to get along. And then they let time take it's course.

I don't know how similar your situation is. I know that when I read your post, I get the feeling that things feel black and white to you and that you feel as if an injustice has happened to you. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe that's not what you feel.

I just can't help feeling sympathetic toward your daughter. Being a teenager is probalby the most volitile, difficult times of your life. She's had a mother who is an alcoholic. She's had a long period of time where she didn't have a peaceful home life. She probably has things in her life that you aren't aware of - difficult and painful things. And you made a generous move by letting her live in another household. But you don't own her and her opinion matters. At this age, her opinion matters a tremendous amount in the courts, if I'm not mistaken.

You continue on the path of showing her that you care about what is going on with her and how she feels and what she thinks she needs by letting her stay in the home she is in. Or you can start up the chaos by fighting about it and arguing about it and going to court. You will never gain her acceptance by doing that. You will gain her disdain.

I share custody of my two oldest children with their dad. And at first it was incredibly hard. But it is peaceful and cooperative now. And my kids benefit from it. Immensely.

I know it's hard and I know you are hurting. But your hurt doesn't have to get spread around. It's possible for you to deal with your hurt and your anger without sharing it with your daughter. It's the most responsible thing and the most loving thing you can do.

I don't know. I'm sure I'm going to have people who disagree with me. And I really don't want to cause you any more pain or hurt. But my own experience as a teen just begged me to write this. I'm sorry if I've made things worse. Just think of it as another perspective. It's not a judgement of you or your actions. It's not meant to be. It's just another perspective.

Love, MLE
Old 10-02-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You havaen't hurt me and you've not said anything I didn't already know and feel about my daughter. She's not had the devatating experiences you've had, but in her own way she is really struggling. SHe is hanging out with a group of the nastiest "friends" you'd ever not want to know. She keeps going back to them, and taking the same crap from them. I can't protect her from the world and that pains me to no end.

I want to talk with her and with the two people caring for her. I don't want to do what's right for me, I want to do what's best for her. But she's so screwed up right now she has no idea what might be best for her. I just know that this arrangement was to have been temporary, and it keeps looking more permanent all the time. I am terrified I will never see her again and that she has been 'prepped' unconsiously to stay in this lovely wealthy lifestyle. She's always threatened me with living with her dad (cause I was so "mean") but when push came to shove, and I called her bluff and arranged for her to go live with dad last June, she ran out of the house and hid at a neighbors house, then told her dad she did not want to live with him.

So she can't pull the "dad" card now, as she doesn't want that solution. She prefers living with me, but when asked last November if she'd like to live with the church secretary for "a while" she said "yeah, cool" and left.

I am having a very hard time being rational about this, as my former friend and mentor is not hesitating to play the 'alkie' card in reminding me of my "fragile" mental health and sobriety. She's acting like a b!tch and it scares me as I've never seen this side of her before.

NOT TO MENTION... I'm having a feline crisis this morning as college kid's cat is very sick, peeing blood all over her room, and had to be rushed to the vet. I have no idea how badly he may be sick, they are going to keep him at least one day and night and see how he responds to meds and fluids. So I'm praying that God doesn't let her cat die, he's young and other than this, healthy.

I'm afraid to ask what else can go wrong, or it may go so wrong as to be unfixable. I am scared to death and feel like God hates me or is punishing me for something. I can't take any more of this sh!t. I'm already beyond my limit.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hang in there Least, I'm praying for you.

:praying