Notices

Cymbalta Withdrawls

Old 10-01-2008, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Cymbalta Withdrawls

I have been on AD's for about 3 years I first started off taking Zoloft, and then was put on Cymbalta. Now is a turning point in my life and I want to get off all medications. I was taking 60 Mg of Cymbalta and was weaned to 30 Mg. I am now taking 30 Mg every other day. Saturday will be my last day and I am terrified! I am having horrible withdrawls. I keep getting what I call brain zingers. it feels like electricity is running through my body. It's horrible. I have horrible headaches all the time, and today my lips are starting to tingle. Tonight, when I take my 30 Mg tomorrow will be fine. It's when I have to skip a day when I feel like crap. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? I've had suicidal thoughts these past few weeks. I have terrible nightmares. I just feel terrible. But I'm afraid if I don't get off of Cymbalta now, I will never be able to. Someone please give a positive story, so I can feel better.....

Best wishes.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi yellowdaisy,

Welcome to SR... Sorry I don't know really anything about AD, but what I can say is you are looking for help and that is a great thing! I'm sure someone else here can relate to what your going through but don't give up on yourself. I hope you get your answer and are able to get off AD's. Best wishes and hope you feel better soon

Bruce
Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi yellowdaisy. Welcome to SR!

It's always best to consult a physician when making any changes with medication. It could be very dangerous to try to stop taking a drug without proper medical assistance.
Please remember too that we cannot give medical advice on these forums.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

glad I haven't tried this med I hate the brain zaps
hope you do ok
Old 10-01-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know you can't give medical advice. I've consulted my doctor and I'm doing what she has prescribed. I just want to know if there are others other there that have gone through this, so that I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that I wont be like this forever.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unhappy Cymbalta.....getting off....

Hi,

I have not taken this antidepressant, but did take Zoloft. I did go off one antidepressant for a short time called Effexor XR...it is a SSRI and hard to get off...This doctor mistakenly took me off it....when reading an old letter from my psychiatrist when my regular doc was on vacation.

He had me cut it from 300 mg to 150 mg in one week...then down to 75 mg the next week...than nothing from then on. I felt terrible...got so deep & darkly depressed that I did nothing for Christmas...not one thing!

When my doc got back she took one look at me and asked what happened???
I told her and she titrated me slower but right back up to the 300 mg once a day. I was also taking Lexapro which is another SSRI...which the male doc increased to 20 mg but my doc reduced it back to the 10 mg with the 300 Effexor XR. :ghug2

This amount of Effexor is above what is recommended for a maintenance dose but is what my body needs & works and has worked for about 15 years.
What happened to the old saying...It it isn't broke don't fix it!!!!!

I would certainly talk with your doc about what is happening. You shouldn't have to go through all that if he is titrating your med down in a way that doesn't cause so much discomfort. :sorry

kelsh
Old 10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea, i was on zoloft before i got on cymbalta, and when i was trying to get off of that. i went completely crazy and i couldn't help it! It was terrible. I literelly though I was loosing it, and i was going to be committed to the looney bin. Then I was put on cymbalta and awe... i felt so much better. But now I want off of everything.. I want to clense my body. Soon enough I want to have a baby, and I don't want to be on anything.. I want to feel and be normal. Right now though, i don't think i will ever get there.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad you've talked this over with your dr.

I have been on antidepressants for about 8 years. I have stopped taking them twice during that time and had no withdrawl symptoms at all. However, after about a week I feel the overwhelming need to climb into bed and stay there forever. I will always take this medication because I have a chemical imbalance.

I hope that you can get through this!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna. I was at work today and was just googling and found this website. I am so happy that I found it, already it's making me feel better. I believe that when I was put on AD's that it was for a reason. It really just erks me when people say, "it's all in your head... you should be able to overcome this... there are other ways than medication" I trust my doctor, and after having A LONG talk about it.. I figured it was the right thing to do. And I am happy that I did. I just hope that these horrible feelings go away, and that I am able to live a normal life with out AD's. Even if I'm not able to, at least I can be like you, and say that I tried. That's all that I really want, is to say that I tried. I know that I should have been on AD's LONG before I was given the courage to finally talk to my doctor about them... but with that time that I had to do it on my own... that is what gives me hope that I can do this. I am so happy and grateful that I found this site, and a support system with people that care. Thank you to everyone who has answered so far!!:ghug
Old 10-01-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with you that it is worth trying. I was curious too, to know what would happen. The thing is, antidepressants help me to feel normal and I wondered if I could manage life without them. I could not. And, I know how hard it is for others to understand. For me, my self-esteem became dismal when people would make comments to me like 'Snap out of it'. I would end up feeling like I wasn't trying hard enough. And, I know there is still stigma associated with mental illness. I don't like the idea of having to rely on taking a pill every day. But, I went through enough years of darkness to know that this is a preferable alternative.

I am so glad that you have found us and I hope you continue to post and let us know how this is going for you.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree. I sometimes think I might not be able to make it with out medication. I am still skeptical over the fact. I guess I wont really know until I try though. I will definately keep you all posted though. It's always good to have a support group.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on zoloft over ten years and it keeps me moderately sane. One 'side effect' is "bizarre or unusual thoughts or dreams." I call this the Zoloft Cinema - like going to a strange indie movie every night! Only problem is, as soon as I "leave the theater" I forget the movie. Darn.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I was prescribed cymbalta last year. It was the worst thing they could have gave me to be honest. I didnt have withdrawl. But I did attempt suicide a few months after starting it. And seeing how I never knew there were warnings of suicide thoughts as a side effect. I didnt learn that until I heard it on their commercial the beginning of this year. I am not saying it completely had something to do with me doing that. But I feel it may have played some part in it. As I have been an addict for almost 20 yrs and never attempted anything close to that before.
My aunt also had a brain scan of some kind and her Dr showed her what it was doing to her brain. This is a different Dr than who prescribed the **** to her. He immediately weene dher down and off. He said it does mess your brain up.
This is just my experience. I think you need to talk to your Dr and let him know whats going on. I would never take or recommend that BS to anyone.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Hi Yellow Daisy. I've had similar experiences with anti-depressants and have accepted that I shall probably take them for the rest of my life. I'm OK with it. Good luck on your journey.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've had horrible dreams!! They are starting to get better though. Which is a plus! I don't think i could go another day with the little sleep that I was getting. I still have a horrible headache. I spoke with my doctor, and she said that they are just withdrawls and that in time they will pass, I just have to give it time, because my body is detoxing. I was thinking last night of going and getting those chinese food pad things that help with detoxing. Has anyone ever tried those?

I have had suicidal thoughts. ALOT and I use to get so pissed off when my friends would committ suicide, i would think that they were selfish. I understand now, why someone could committ suicide, only because getting off this drug can kinda make you nutty. I don't think I could ever put someone through that though... which is what is keeping me alive. But Holy Moly!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Daisy,

AD withdrawal can be very uncomfortable, but if done properly you needn't suffer for long. The trick is to taper down very gradually.

Ask your doc about the possibility of taking an OTC antihistamine for a few days. A lot of people find that antihistamines help with the brain zaps , sleep disturbances, nausea and anxiety - I'm one of them but, again, ask your prescribing doc.

Good luck
Old 12-09-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cymbalta Withdrawls

Hi I am trying to ween myself from 30 mg of Cymbalta for post partum depression and just found out I was pregnant! So I am going cold turkey. I know you are not supposed to but the birth defects risk are nuts! I wish I had never been put on this hellish med. The withdrawals are horrid! I get brain shakes, numbness, nausea (in addition to my morning sickness) dizziness, and feel anxious, I feel like my heart skips beats.....it is AWFUL! I hope that I can shake off the side effects soon. I have heard that Benadryl helps with the w/d but it does make you sleepy and I can't take it because I am pregnant. Sigh....just have to hang in there for the baby's sake. I am sure you should ask your doctor first before going off these types of meds, and if I wasn't pregnant I would but I just don't want to take the risk! Good luck to anyone who is suffering, I feel your pain! :praying