Notices

Anyone felt like this..?

Old 09-30-2008, 03:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone felt like this..?

Went to the shop this morning and bought my mum some nice, expensive wine for her birthday. All the time I was looking at the wine, I wanted to say to everyone...'This isn't for me, I don't drink ..honest, oh and I've given up smoking too'.

How insane is that?!!

sas
Old 09-30-2008, 03:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In the end, it isn't insane, yet it still isn't anyone's business anyway. Morally there is nothing wrong with you buying alcohol. Personally, obviously, we all have our problems and must act as we have to to keep those under control.

Don't worry about it.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Now the cigs--that's a different story!! What a horrible person you must be to have smoked cigarettes. I'm surprised our society is still intact and hasn't been invaded by aliens with a multi-toned theme song who land on a flat mountain in the American west.

/sarcasm attack over. sorry.

Last edited by BeamMeUpScotty; 09-30-2008 at 03:48 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-30-2008, 03:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, I liked that movie! I was a senior in HS...that might explain it!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juliee View Post
Hey, I liked that movie! I was a senior in HS...that might explain it!
Well you just dated yourself!!

How do you do that? Call yourself up and leave a message, "what are you doing on Saturday? Course it might explain what you did on a Saturday night in high school.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How or why?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Actually I know what you mean. There's an Asda near me and it seems he whole of AA does their shopping in there. It's not often I buy alcohol for other people but I still get anxious someone from AA will think it's for me and I'm gonna relapse! Stupid but I still think it!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Forgive this American living in Japan, but is "Asda" a combini (i.e., convenience store)?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ASDA is where I was today too - it's a sudsidiary of Wal-Mart and full of chavs generally, but very cheap and cheerful anyway.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coolmummy View Post
ASDA is where I was today too - it's a sudsidiary of Wal-Mart and full of chavs generally, but very cheap and cheerful anyway.
Man, and I even studied in London for a semester--"chavs"?

Too bad it's part of Wal-Mart--the Borg of retail.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Chav (pronounced /ʧæv/), or Charv/Charva (pronounced /ʧɑːv/), is a mainly derogatory slang term in the United Kingdom for a person whose lifestyle, branded casual clothing (especially if counterfeit), speech and/or mannerisms are perceived to be common, proletarian and vulgar. 'Chav' is often used as a stereotype to refer to poorly educated, aggressive youths, but youth and aggression are not the defining attributes of a 'chav'.In this stereotype they often take drugs,get drunk and vandalise public property.

sas
Old 09-30-2008, 05:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Chav (pronounced /ʧæv/), or Charv/Charva (pronounced /ʧɑːv/), is a mainly derogatory slang term in the United Kingdom for a person whose lifestyle, branded casual clothing (especially if counterfeit), speech and/or mannerisms are perceived to be common, proletarian and vulgar. 'Chav' is often used as a stereotype to refer to poorly educated, aggressive youths, but youth and aggression are not the defining attributes of a 'chav'.In this stereotype they often take drugs,get drunk and vandalise public property.

sas
Ahh, sounds like many of the stereotypes we use to typify the "typical" Wal-Mart customer (funny how people come up with these stereotypes unless they themselves visit the establishments). Of course, in the States in many Wal-marts you can't buy alcohol.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ASDA is full of chavs generally, but very cheap and cheerful anyway.
Hmmmmm I ain't no chav.....there was a woman in the checkout last week with a Gucci handbag and Tod shoes. I prefer Tesco's cos I get club card points!!! Have a safe and sober day.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by espresso View Post
Hmmmmm I ain't no chav.....there was a woman in the checkout last week with a Gucci handbag and Tod shoes. I prefer Tesco's cos I get club card points!!! Have a safe and sober day.
I go to Daiei, which also has a Llaox in the same building, so that's cool. Also, whoever claims Japan is having an aging population problem doesn't seem to visit the super when I'm there--kids all over the place.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry espresso, hope I didn't sound rude!! Some of my more snooty friends call it Chav-Da.

tbh we go to Sainsburys and whip up the nectar points for xmas.

sas
Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No probs......
Here are my TOP 5 supermarkets....
1. Asda cos it's near
2. Tesco cos I get mi club card points
3. Waitrose cos they have a better selection of "Options" Hot Choccy sachets
4. For sheer convenience.....

5. and when I can't be bothered....
Menu creation
This free service helps you create the perfect menu - whether for an elaborate picnic in a wicker hamper; an afternoon tea of scones, finger sandwiches and fine teas; or a full-blown banquet with champagne reception and five courses. We also produce special Burns Night and Christmas menus each year.

Harrods' Food Advisory Service, Food Halls on Ground Floor | Tel: 020 7730 1234, ext. 4848.

Off to "Chavda" .... in a bit...lol before the hordes get there for the bargains!!!
Have a lovely day sas/coolmummy