Notices

...Amy Winehouse...dying...:-(

Old 09-26-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

...Amy Winehouse...dying...:-(

For those that remember me from awhile back, you know that I am a huge Amy Winehouse fan and have been for awhile. She really inspires me musically and I feel a lot of similarities to her personally (from what I know of her). I used to collect all her magazine articles, etc.

Now look what she has become: Falling apart: Stick-thin Amy Winehouse more ravaged than ever... as she admits 'I can't go on like this' | Mail Online

This is really making me sad. :-( I know I can't do anything about it, but it is always horrible seeing someone like this, especially someone you once admired. I pray for her and for everyone that is struggling.

I think we can make it!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

It is sad b2b but Amy does have a choice to be well and she's just not at that point. I hope she reaches it soon before it's too late. How are you doing?
Old 09-26-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

I am doing pretty well, overall. I have been sober since July of 2008. How have you been??
Old 09-26-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

That's great! I am so happy to hear that . Keep on doing whatever it is you're doing... seems to be working!

I'm good. Life is pretty good for me right now. Kids are healthy, husband is behaving and I'm almost 1/2 through my yoga teacher training course :bounce. I think I'll be able to teach and make a few $$$ at it soon too. Still sober... in November it'll be 2 years for me.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that Amy seeks help soon.

I am so glad to hear that you're doing well, BacktoBlack.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're sober today, B2B.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Sorry about Amy but happy that your doing well B2B haven't seen you around for a long time glad to see ya here.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I heard Bill Murray mention once when he was asked about being rich and famous, and he replied something like, "try the rich part first and see if that doesn't take care of most of it for you."

I can't imagine being "in the public eye" and dealing with an addiction--too much judgment. I often think many like Keith Moon would still be alive if they didn't feel they had an "image" to keep up by partying themselves to death (did I just make a judgment there?).

I saw Warren Zevon perform live once, just him on piano and guitar. I was close enough to the stage to read his watch and even shook his hand at the end (oooo....touch me!). Anywho, he was great--and sober. He never made it to "A" status, but I don't think that type of thing bothered him. He seemed just to enjoy playing music. We all just have to find what we enjoy, I guess.

Here are some of his lyrics from "Detox Mansion" that help me smile when an "urge" hits:

"Well, I'm gone to Detox Mansion
Way down on Last Breath Farm
I've been rakin' leaves with Liza
Me and Liz clean up the yard

Left my home in Music City
In the back of a limousine
Now I'm doin' my own laundry
And I'm getting those clothes clean

Growin' fond of Detox Mansion
And this quiet life I lead
But I'm dying to tell my story
For all my friends to read

Well, it's tough to be somebody
And it's hard not to fall apart
Up here on Rehab Mountain
We gonna learn these things by heart

Well, I'm gone to Detox Mansion
Way down on Last Breath Farm
I've been rakin' leaves with Liza
Me and Liz clean up the yard

What goes on in Detox Mansion
Outside the rubber room
We get therapy and lectures
We play golf in the afternoon

Well, it's tough to be somebody
And it's hard not to fall apart
Up here on Rehab Mountain
We gonna learn these things by heart."
Old 09-26-2008, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are still sober.....
Old 09-27-2008, 12:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xXBacktoBlackXx View Post
I am doing pretty well, overall. I have been sober since July of 2008. How have you been??
B2b, Damn shame about Amy. Love her music but every time someone pulls her off the railroad tracks so goes right back to them. Very sad, but she needs to step away herself.

BTW, don't think I've seen you on our Class of July 2008 thread. You're welcome to join. Stop by.

We've filled 3 threads and working on 4th here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html
Old 09-27-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
IO Storm

XX

Great to hear from you again!

And to hear that you are sober...that is just great.

Hugs
Old 09-28-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Paul Gascoigne is another celeb who is also really ill just now.

The drinking seems to have the better of him just now as well.

Hope him and Amy both pull through.

We can only help ourselves though !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Regarding Amy Winehouse: someone's signature says "If you can't be a good example you can serve as a horrible reminder." So true. I think Amy is a horrible reminder of what can happen if you let your guard down for a minute.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

glad to see you b2b, and very happy to hear youve been sober.

Its really sad about Amy, I hope she can get some help soon.

GOOD LUCK AMY wherever you are.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have trouble feeling sorry for celebrities. They have so many resources at their finger tips and get away with so much.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I totally agree with you there bl. I am always sad for people who are in the grips of this (these?) horrible disease(s), but for goodnesss sake, use your money your fame, your contacts and let them help you!! Many times when i was in the depths of depression, full of alcohol and ready to chuck a load of tablets down my neck, I would have given everything to have been able to go somewhere - and not a grotty nhs hospital - where I could get the help I needed. Luckily, I have, I hope, found it within me to get myself better.

I'm sure this sounds terribly harsh, but I'm fed up with seeing her and others splashed all over the papers in a state.

sorry

sas
Old 09-28-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One of the harsh realities of Alcoholism/addiction is that every so often we have to stop to bury our dead from time to time.
It's not pretty but it's fact. An even uglier fact is that there is a way out that a lot of us choose to avoid.
For that reason I don't give a lot of those Cyber-Hugs to those that aren't Honest when it comes to their addiction.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bostonluv View Post
I have trouble feeling sorry for celebrities. They have so many resources at their finger tips and get away with so much.
The thing is addictions know no boundaries, be they class, gender, ethnicity, etc... In fact, for better or worse, having resources can often be ticking time bombs for people, especially if they are young and immature and have people all over the place telling them how great they are.

I am by no means famous, but I can get a little taste of it being a foreigner in Japan. It really does get annoying to have strangers stare at you or come up to you (while you're standing taking a pee (OK, I know that only applies to half the population--but you get the idea)) and want to practice speaking English with you. Believe me, you want to scream and find some release and just be able to be the person you know you are and/or who you used to be. Escaping down a bottle, be it vodka or vicodin, is simply a release--something we've all done. In the end, they might have some things easier in life than most, but they still bleed red like the rest of us and still face all the same troubles

Does celebrity excuse addictive behavior? Of course not. Can it explain it? To some extent I'm sure--just as my having been a bartender for years and years could probably to some extent explain my alcoholism. I guess I'm trying to say imagine you had had all the money,resources, and fame in the world you would have ever needed, would that have stopped you from using alcohol and/or drugs? I probably wouldn't be alive.

Good luck all,

BMUS
Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I so agree with you BMUS, that no amount of money, fame, or resources would have stopped me, and I was out there 30 years. Until I wanted to get sober, I didn't. I don't care if you are rich or poor, a celebrity, a bartender, mother or father, homeless, or a hobo etc.....we are all the same....we have a disease and I feel I need to pray for ALL the sick and suffering, not judge which ones I feel deserve it.~Blessings Terry
Old 09-29-2008, 12:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Celebration1994 View Post
I so agree with you BMUS, that no amount of money, fame, or resources would have stopped me, and I was out there 30 years. Until I wanted to get sober, I didn't. I don't care if you are rich or poor, a celebrity, a bartender, mother or father, homeless, or a hobo etc.....we are all the same....we have a disease and I feel I need to pray for ALL the sick and suffering, not judge which ones I feel deserve it.~Blessings Terry
Thanks for your post Celebration.

If you don't mind, I think, in the end, BL and Coolmummy are expressing more of a frustration than a judgment. I think, and this may be surprising for many politicians, that many people, if not most, have to live paycheck to paycheck to survive. Throw in addictions and they're twice (thrice?) as screwed. I think (and I might be wrong--it won't be the first time (just the third)) BL and CM are trying to do everything right, fighting the good fight, and living on the "straight and narrow", yet one unexpected set-back, like a child's trip to the hospital, can wipe out months of hard work, planning, and savings in an instant. To have some celebrity seemingly flaunt his/her addiction while having a big checkbook (although often the celebrity addict is in debt beyond description) is maddening. I've been there and I know. For example, tomorrow is 10 weeks sober for me and I just got back from the hospital about 3 hours ago because I can barely walk due to gout in my right foot. I'm so frustrated because I haven't been drinking and I've been watching my diet and then I'm put out of commission and I have to skip work for this crap!! Luckily, I have insurance (most of my adult working life I haven't and have avoided doctors due to an inability to pay) and enough days off to cover it. Still, my goal for this semester was to not take any sick days (I had always had at least a few each semester due to alcohol-related sicknesses) and that goal got ruined. I want someone to blame, to take the heat, to "pay" for this. In the end, sh*t happens through nobody's fault and I'm left holding the bill, so to speak. Doesn't mean I'm not frustrated.

I think I'm rambling. I guess I'm saying I understand the frustration of seeing some people seemingly willingly throwing away everything I dream of, while having to scrape to get by. Still, we do have the saying, "the grass is always greener" for a reason.

Good luck all. Thanks for putting up with my diatribe.

/steps off soap-box