Notices

Some Details...

Old 09-26-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some Details...

Thanks everybody for the warm responses...its good to be back. I actually had to go away for a little while.....sort of a vacation sanctioned by the State of Maryland...if you know what I mean.....I mean, that sucked....but it didn't in a way too....lots of time to think, read, take advantage of treatment options and plan an outpatient program...I guess it comes down to you get what you put into it.
About the job issue....as many of you know I lost my job of 20 years back in May...direct result of my choosing to drink. Was busy " paying my debt to society" from April through mid summer.......Believe it or not I got another job doing the same thing basically....about the same money and benefits...that started this August.....good things happen too, huh?
I put my wife through a lot but we are still together. For sure theres trust issues and things that need to worked on but we're doing that...or, I'm trying to be as transparent and trustworthy as I can...I recognize all the BS isn't goingto be undone in a matter of months.
Still going to meetings...though I have found a support group thats not AA ( I still do AA...I just do this group as well) that I really get a lot out of. Its called Celebrate Recovery and is very similar to AA but fundamentally different in ways too....its become my primary avenue of recovery lately. It uses sponsors...the same 12 steps as AA...just defines a higher power more specifically and is much more focused in topics and stuff like that...I like it.
It seems to be working.
I'm gonna go...thanks again everybody for the welcome back
Rob
Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a positive post Rob! Thanks for sharing it and I am so glad your life is taking a turn for the better! Good going!! Hope to see you a lot around SR. I bet wife's secretly proud of you, but I understand the apprehension. My husband has it a bit too. You'll just have to live life and prove her wrong. That's what I'm doing.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for sharing what happened, Rob. It's just so difficult to explain to friends & family what we go through. Some important people in my life simply don't understand addiction and why I didn't "just say no". They view it as a weakness, a character flaw - though they've never actually said it, I know that's the case. I try to rise above all that and live the best life I possibly can, making amends where I'm allowed to, but if I can't I no longer let it destroy me and put me back on my knees. I know the kind of person I am inside, despite allowing myself to appear weak and untrustworthy all those years. I hope by remaining strong and determined I will show my true colors. I'm so glad you're back and determined to stay the course. Love, Joanie
Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Rob)))

What a positive post!!! MY "vacation", compliments of the state of GA, let me know I really didn't want to do that again!!!

You sound like you are doing exactly what you should be, and way to go on getting another job!!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
What a great post Rob, you've really stayed focused on your recovery and I'm happy to hear you've found something that works for you. I went to CR meetings in early sobriety, they were incredibly peaceful and comforting.

You really sound like a new person Rob. Carry on, keep moving forward!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

Doesn't matter how you got sober just that you are Congrats