Notices

Gout and/or other alcohol related problems

Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gout and/or other alcohol related problems

Hey all,

For the past 2 days I've been dealing with a bout of gout in my right foot. For those who don't know, gout is a form of arthritis cause by an excessive buildup of uric acid--usually in the feet and joints. This is extremely painful, although this time I have been able to walk well enough so nobody has noticed or said anything. In the past when I was drinking, a couple of times it was so painful I had to crawl to the toilet to go to the bathroom.

Anyway, I haven't had anything to drink for 64 days and I guess I'm kinda irritated because this came back. Now, I'm not expecting perfect health, especially after the way I abused my body, but couple this with some bad allergies and I'm a bit miserable--not enough to even think about drinking though.

Has anyone else had troubles with gout or other alcohol-related health problems? How did you deal?

Thanks for letting me rant.

BMUS
Old 09-24-2008, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey beam,

no experience to share. just sending you support, and i hope your gout improves soon.

have you been to a doctor?

hugs, k
Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not fun to feel rotten when you're 64 days sober so I understand that. However, I have no other (that I know) lasting effects from alcohol. Maybe it's not from the alcohol? I would see a doc since it's effecting your quality of life. Just offering support also!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

No problems with gout here, BMUS, but I do deal with heart palpitations (premature beats) on a near-daily basis. I've always been an anxious person, but these didn't start until the end of last year. My health was really poor and I was drinking very heavily. I was also the fattest I've ever been. I think the alcohol did something to change the way my heart functions. I've been to a doctor about it and I was given a scrip to take when needed, but have yet to take any pills (because I hate taking pills...easy to swallow and they are not habit forming...but I still don't like them...). I would much rather just deal with them. So far, the palpitations have been benign (I hope they stay that way), but it was really scary at first when I would get a run of them. It felt like someone was playing tug of war in my chest. Scary...

I do my best to ignore them when I can (sometimes I can't)...usually the more I think about them, the more I have. I've been doing really well today...even went for a long walk. If my heart's being screwy, I'm not noticing...and that's a good thing.

I don't know much about gout, but have you been to a doctor? Keep your head up and keep moving forward. Fantastic job on the 64 days!