Notices

Do You Hate Your Job?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Do You Hate Your Job?

I noticed that there seems to be quite a few people around here lately having job concerns. I just put in my two weeks notice today for my crappy job. If you hate your job, just been fired, or can't seem to find employment, feel free to complain and offer encouragement here. Good luck, everyone.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I love my work (software designer) its just people and places that trip me up!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a dream job...but always thought there was this other one I really wanted. I got it, quit the other ...and guess what...I am not particulary well suited to the one I have now!!!!!!

But I would have regretted not trying this job...and over the past 8 years we have managed to add things and take away things from my job to make it more rewarding and less of a downer.

I think I will regret more the things I don't try than those I try that don't turn out so hot...
Old 09-21-2008, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

My job is boring. Easy as hell tho. But I am use to moving around. Not being stuck at a desk. Plus they are doing these background checks on everyone. Anyone with even a misdemeanor is going to be let go.
I will have to find a job soon. And I have been looking already and it doesnt look too good.
With the holidays coming up. It is really going to suck.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
Plus they are doing these background checks on everyone. Anyone with even a misdemeanor is going to be let go.

WTF. That makes me mad. Where does that leave the people who are trying to turn their lives around to a more positive existence? I'm sorry, chiy, I really am. You don't need this crap right now.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is from my files....it's about felons and jobs.
I don't know anyones situation..hope it helps.
It may be out of date...I don't know

Where can felons find jobs? FunAdvice.com

I just counseled my 29 year old Grandson to stay
in the Army. He has a son to support and his
skills are not particularly marketable on the "outside"

The best way I found jobs was by networking
from past job contacts... once from AA.

Good Luck to everyone....:bounce
Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I don't hate my job but I hate a lot of the circumstances surrounding it. I found a dream job about a year and a half ago... part time, flexible hours, related to a hobby of mine (photography)... great pay... I helped build this business, put in blood, sweat, and tears for the owner... was being groomed to run it for him... and then all of my responsibilities got handed over to his girlfriend and daughter. Now I work about 2 hours A WEEK. I haven't quit because I don't want to burn any bridges and I am holding out hope that my boss will stick to his word and give me more special projects to work on, but I am VERY discouraged and disappointed. It hurts my feelings.

I know that I'm very lucky to not HAVE to work and to have the flexibility and luxury of being able to do this (or not do this). It just hurts because I really did love what I was doing, and I was learning a lot, and having fun, and it's been snatched right out from under me. Nepotism at its finest.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
It just hurts because I really did love what I was doing, and I was learning a lot, and having fun, and it's been snatched right out from under me. Nepotism at its finest.

That burns me, too. Could you find some time to freelance and possibly build up your portfolio?

Nepotism is one reason why starting one's own business would be a great idea...if feasible. Have a good night everyone. Peace.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My problem is..I never know what the heck these employers are looking for or at. I never know if they are looking at arrestes and conictions. And I have been arrested so many times..I couldnt even tell you what all for. Or what happened when.

Before I got this job I applied somewhere and I was honest about the wort ARREST I could think of. Strong Arm Robbery. Which was total BS cause it didnt even go down like that. It was a fight where I snatched the little dude up by his throat and his shirt and necklace came off when I did. Arresting cop didnt like me so he took me for the harshest thing he could. I got the incident report in the mail yesterday.
It says I walked across the street for no reason and snatched his necklace. No I walked across the street for no reason and started beatin on him. I will admit that. I was up way too long and had way too much cocaine in my system.
Anyway..I plead down to a misdemeanor petty theft cause my gramps just died and we were leaving to come up here from Florida in a few days. I thought I was going to jail anyway that day in court. I thought I got lucky. I was high as hell in court that day. Smoking in the courthouse bathroom. Geez..I was so stupid. I dont miss those days one bit. I was way out of control. I didnt care..But I do now and it sucks.

Its been since 2002 since I have gotten in trouble. Besides this crap with the job last year. But I was never arrested for that and it will never show on my record so long I pay the money back. Which I need to start doing soon. I have until Nov 6th to pay 387 bucks.

People dont want to hear you have changed. Noone cares.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I loved my other job-as a stand up comedian.But I had to get out.It's full of alkies and addicts and I'm not strong enough to be around them again yet.I've performed once sober and it terrified me even though I did well.I pray to God I can go back one day though.I miss being able to make people laugh.It was one of the most natural highs I ever got(I wasn't drinking badly when I got into it).I just miss it.

My other job is my own business and I love it.I look after other peoples dogs when they're away.I have such an affinity with dogs-they're my friends in a way.

I think work can be soul destroying or life affirming.It's tough out there and I don't envy anyone having to face the world in a crappy job day after day.I've certainly done my share though too.I'm just blessed to be able to do what I'm doing right now.But that could change too.I'm just cherishing what I have for now.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm like Jules - my real job is being a musician...but most of that tends to be in bars.
Kinda takes the gloss off being somewhere you don't really want to be anymore - but I figure I'll get back to it someday - find a really good band and it doesn't matter - bars or shopping malls will be fine LOL

but til then I do what I can freelance editing and proofreading - it's not exciting but it soothes my inner geek LOL

D
Old 09-21-2008, 11:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm a property manager. I don't hate my job but I don't love the company I am with right now. Too small and they are sloppy. However, with this economy I am grateful to even have a job to complain about!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just want a job!! Have worked with disaffected teens for years now - got the qualifications, got the experience. My last job went badly wrong for lots of reasons, and I was forced to leave which sent me over the edge to be honest. It was then that I realised my drinking was spiralling out of control - although it took me another few months to act on it.

I've now been out of work for around 5 months and have to get another one. Have applied for a few, had interviews, been down to the last two etc. It's so demoralising. I feel like half a person.

sas
Old 09-21-2008, 11:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just looked at the link Anna posted.
Bail bonds!! That would be cool. But its hard to get in to. I think I would make a good bounty hunter.
Get some aggression out at the same time?
I wanted to be a cop for a long time. HAHA..Imagine that.

Now I am not too fond of them.

I just wish I could do something I liked to do. Something I have a passion for.

For someone who never was a drinker. I absolutely loved bartending. I looked at it as more than just a job. I really enjoyed making drinks..Getting creative with them. And especially the pretty ones you get to dress up.
I could rock a bar in my day. Now I am just too big to do it. Noone wants to see a fat bartender behind a bar.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am not very enthusiastic about my job right now. On the up side I really the people I work with, like a little family. I struggle with boredom, I don't think I am suited for what I am doing but the $$ is good.

"I am doing what I have to until I can do what I want to" I forget who said that but it is bang on.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I Love my job!

I Hate having to work my job on someone else's schedule tho!

Having to clock in and out, and clock my breaks, stiffles my free-spirit.

Fact is, I work for a major cosmetic company and my job is to help women feel beautiful about themselves. That rocks!
I don't like the environment, retail at a shopping mall. I don't like to shop!

Here's a fun fact: My last full time job was managing a liqour store!:wtf2

Time to get to work! Have a Happy Healthy Monday everyone!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

To be paid for what you love to do, is certainly heaven on earth!

My current job is my own creation. I was propelled into it 5 months ago. Like a mad scientist, I am motivated by my own imagination. I try every experiment I can think of.
I am so far ahead, in my knowledge, it forces a life of loneliness. This was where my weakness for alcohol stopped my forward momentum. I am 35 days sober now and the pace of my progress has improved exponentially.

I have two months left then I'll have to get a real job. This could go one of two ways. I start production of a system that will help with the energy crisis or I'll punch a time clock. My work is dangerous. Sometimes you must risk it all to make a difference. No More Oil!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

I want to work .. but appears around here unless your related to someone thats the only way your gonna get a job , which there arnt any .unless your a school teacher or a RN . which im not , Im just a cook but its something I love and enjoy doing but only 2 places to eat here , and face it with todays economy its the first place people can cut back on . I dont care how much im makin tho a nice salery is a perk , its just the fact of having some self worth a reason to get up each morning and do something . Here in pitsville there isnt anything to do and the weathers gonna change sooner then we would like . and its gonna be a long winter i just feel it . the Mr is lookin for another state job so we can move outta this area , but again times are tuff and jobs are scarse. anyways just my 2 bits:atv
Old 09-22-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've been fired from soooo many jobs because when my kids would get sick, I'd be the only person who'd care for them, so I lost a lot of work time.

But all of those bad experiences led me to owning my own store...and while I'm certainly not raking in the dough, it is something I love...and let's me spend a LOT of time on SR waiting for customers.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't work, I'm in school. I'm cracking up under the pressure. There are major problems with faculty, internship sites, the list goes on. I am absorbing the anxiety like a sponge. A big chunk of faculty- all the more recent hires- left en mass over the last few months and it's been a huge clusterf!ck ever since. I'm paying major bank for this experience, loans that sound imaginary they are so big, and now I'm watching the collapse of our financial system as I am preparing to start a career. I'm just hoping the gaurantor of my particular loans remain solvent until I'm graduated.
I wish I was a barrista.
Or... DG, is your store hiring?

But I really feel for everyone posting... These are tough times.