Notices

Do You Hate Your Job?

Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just noticing that there is much positive in the jobs people have here on this site. Could it be sobriety tends to lead us to a job of serenity vs financially? OR is it we tend to find happiness in any given situation? I can't complain, my job is the best job in the world, I am a fireman oops I mean firefighter/emt. For those looking for employment it might be a good place to start your city/state website should have access to the personnel board where most of them allow you to apply online, some may require emt certifications, other do not, and usually a high school diploma or the equivialent is all they look for in education. Hours are 24 on and 48 off I am off more than on, though I miss it tremendously when I am off. The crews are like a family, the station a home away from home, not a job at all.

Another option for some might be offshore, I did that back in the early 80's it was 7 days on and 7 days off, with the new politics being "drill baby drill" there will probably be opening there as well. Anyway, just adding some info in and I hope some may can use it. Today, the promises in the BB have come true for us, may everyone find their way, one day at a time.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

chiy...big hugs.

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
A big chunk of faculty- all the more recent hires- left en mass over the last few months and it's been a huge clusterf!ck ever since.
Wow, SS...(correct me if I'm wrong) you are going for your Master's degree? That has to be terrible. And yes, school is a job. Sometimes it's more than a job.

Hello, everyone. I was surprised to see some of the responses when I got on this morning (well, it's morning for me ). You all are helping to inspire me. I think it's interesting to hear what people have done and what they do, so...

Here's a little more about me: I have my Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts. My studio major was printmaking, but I have experience in painting as well. I miss being in a studio. That was the one place I felt at home. I could work with my hand to create whatever I wanted...if something didn't work out the way I wanted it to, it gave me the chance to work on my problem solving skills.

I haven't been motivated lately to work (artwise)...I'm working on creating a space in my home that will be conducive to creating (because now I don't really have the room). I feel empty inside without art. Now, I need to get off of my butt and do something about it.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I like my job. Its part time and very flexible so I can get kids off to school and then be home when they get home from school. The problem is that its a non-profit and so we depend on volunteers to help us with lots of the work. Its just my boss and myself doing all this work and volunteers are not always very reliable, so I end up having to cover everyone's a** cuz it reflects back on me if they don't do what they say they are going to do. We have a big convention tonite with 16 legislators coming and I am really stressed out hoping that everyone does what they are supposed to do. Today is Day 12 for me...so it will be a test to not drink to calm my nerves!!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, Eclipse! Congrats on the 12 days! Hang in there. I can't stand relying on other people to do their end of things...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

i hate my job with the fire of a thousand suns. it is only by the grace of god and a couple rawsome co-workers (and a lovely recession, thanks george w.!) that i haven't walked out.

i really do loathe my job.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i can't wait to get old enough to retire

Old 09-22-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Great news on 12 days Eclipse!
Good Luck tonight!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Yep Yep Yep
Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by parentrecovers View Post
i can't wait to get old enough to retire

I will never be able to retire! We have 4 kids to put through college, 3 are girls, so there are weddings, time for cars, two still need braces, just bought a saxaphone for my youngest!!! EEEKKK! I wake up at night in a cold sweat wondering where all this money is going to come from! (Of course since I have quit drinking the anxiety is ALOT less...day 13...made it through our convention without hitting the wine aisle!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I posted this in my SR blog, but I remembered this thread. It's more appropriate here:

Wow...I was offered 1/4 of one dollar extra an hour to stay at my current job...they MUST be desperate, even though they hired about 15-20 new people in the last few weeks.

I was told to think about it and I could rescind my notice if I would accept.

Hmm...let me think...

I'm worth a lot more than a quarter. I know it, but I have to tell myself to stay strong. I will never improve my life by keeping everything the same, and that includes keeping a crappy job.

Be strong, Bam. You are worth so much more than what you are doing. Keep your head up.

When I put in a notice, I'm not negotiating...I'm quitting. It's funny...almost every time I quit any job, I'm offered incentives to stay. I suppose that's a good thing, but it really doesn't help because any job I've ever had has been crappy. Every time I give in, I never move forward. I need to get over my fears, take chances and apply myself.

I know, I should be lucky to have a job...but not when it is affecting my physical and mental health in a very negative way.

I need more confidence. If I have to, I'll fake it until I make it. Peace, people...and good luck!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

"Take chances, make mistakes and get dirty." Mz. Frizzle, Magic School bus.

Hey Bam - you just reminded me of this saying. I watch the Magic School bus with my son every morning and the teacher on it always says that. Glad you are moving on. Staying stuck is easy to do - a rut, so to speak. Glad you aren't in one any more!!

Congratulations!
Old 09-27-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I do not mind my job , but I am overqualified for it. It is something I did 20 years ago. Two of my supervisors are my problem. They are extremely negative and go out of their way to criticize and condemn me for no reason.They do not pick on the other lady as she is in a clique with one of the supervisors, so I am outnumbered. It is very depressing, and disheartening.
I got laid off last year as that company closed due to outsourcing. I might have jumped into this job too soon. I read the want ads every week, but would really hope to find something I can at least tolerate. I am so tired of coming home and crying and being so depressed. :praying
I just try to keep my mouth shut and do the best I can and tolerate them as best I can.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Four..........more...........daysleftatmyjob!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it! Then I'm done! I hope I make it!

Man, I could really use a drink right now. Night after night of wanting to get plastered! I am so angry right now! It's all I can think about!

Existance (myself, the Universe, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc) is pretty pointless at the moment. Don't anyone panic! I'm not going to do anything rash. I'm just writing how I feel. And right now I feel pretty hopeless and extreeeeeeeeeeeemely agitated!

I'm doing my best to hang in there. I became physically ill at work today because I just can't do this job anymore. It's getting ridiculous. Four more days. Four more days. Four more days. (I wish I could blow up this graphic to poster size)
Old 09-28-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I can't help but wonder what it is that you're doing for work right now...
Old 09-28-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

its ok bam....burn clean! I have to really just let that emotion come out (hopefully without hurting anyone) before i can move on to the next

Old 09-28-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Alright! I'm a professional burger flipper! I wear the equivalent of a paper hat when I'm on the clock! What have I done with my life? I am such a failure! At least I'm laughing now...
Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey...if i hadn't been a hostess in a restaurant I wouldn't have ever become an accountant! trust the process and you never know where you may end up....that said.....I really would hate doing that too!!!!!

I bet you are cute though
Old 09-28-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I'll take a double w/ cheese... J/K, Bam. I've been a cook of some sort on and off for years, or a dishwasher.. or now I'm a 39 year old bag boy (I mean courtesy clerk). I would really like to go back to teaching gymnastics, something I actually have some passion for. Maybe we'll both find something more fulfilling soon.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I bet you are cute though

LOL! Not!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

It's funny (...I'm so stupid)....

When I'm at work and I see someone I haven't seen for a long time and would like to say hi to, I'm so embarrased about what it is I do for a living that I hide. I turn my body and my face away to hide my shame. I hope beyond hope that he or she doesn't recognize me...and if he or she does, I hope that he or she understands my shame and says not a word.