Notices

Drunk dude buying booze.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i had kind of a similar experience not too long ago at the store, except the person was someone i knew from open aa meetings. i know he doesn't drive, because he doesn't have a car. but it was hard to see him like that. i talked to a few aa friends about it, and one of them knows the guy better than me and was gonna call and offer him a ride to a meeting. i was pretty mad at that clerk for serving him at first. but then i had to tell myself to mind my own business. sigh.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I'm pretty cold...I don't give a crap about him...but I do care if he hurts someone else.

...I know I can't save the world...

...I did call the cops on one person before for driving completely wasted...I like to think I saved someone's life that night. I felt obligated at that time to call...I hope I didn't screw up this time by doing nothing.

I know I can't control what people do, nor do I have the desire to control anyone...I just can't help but think this: "What if everyone he runs into tonight has a chance to do the right thing and choses not to, and as a result, someone dies?"

I know I'm probably being ridiculous right now. I've been incredibly anxious lately. I'm sorry, I can't help it. I'll calm down soon enough...I just wanted to put this out there. Thank you, everyone. Peace.
I can relate to how your feeling. I'd be frustrated that they were sold more alcohol as well. I was always taught to not sell to the intoxicated, in CA the ABC can arrest you for that.
I had a man the other day try and kind of hmmm pounce on me the other day in Rite Aid (who was very drunk) luckily the manager got him off me quick, took his beer and threw him out. So I am grateful that there are others out there who do care about stuff like this. Because he could have possibly hurt me if the manager and this other guy had not grabbed him.
I hear you. Stuff like this gets to me too. It's just who I am. Don't be sorry for who you are.
My .2 cents anyway, lol, FWIW :atv
Old 09-20-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
I would say it was more the responsibility of the cashier not to sell to someone who is obviously drunk.
I totally agree, they are usually trained in that area...
From what I know they have to be because of abc.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Some things I have to acknowledge and hand over to a power greater than myself.

I cannot count the number of times I drove under the influence and in blackouts coming to much later (I came out of one blackout in a plane on my way from Melbourne to London!).

I hear people say things like; '... its a miracle I was not killed..." while I rther think, thank god my hp looked after others while I was out of control behind the wheel.

Thank god life is not like that anymore, in fact I hardly recognise myself in there anymore.

Kevin

I've been feeling really anxious lately, so I just now went down a few streets to the store to get some caffeine-free diet Pepsi (yeah, I know...exciting!).

Well, while walking up to the checkout, I witnessed a rather loud guy purchasing a bottle of booze (I knew he was blowed). The cashier sold it to him anyways. After he walked away, I walked up to the counter to pay for my pop (the fumes from his body were lingering in the air) and asked the cashier some questions, like: "Don't you have the right to refuse to sell?" She said, "Yeah, but we're about to close anyway. That's the third time he's been in tonight to buy booze." She seemed pretty indifferent.

I left the store shaking my head...Now I'm kicking myself. I don't know if he was planning on driving. It didn't even occur to me to hang out by the store and see if he got behind the wheel. I didn't have my phone with me because for once I left it at home--not that it would have mattered because I wasn’t thinking clearly anyways. I got absorbed into my own thoughts about alcohol and drunkenness. I don't know if he even got into a car. I don't know if he's behind the wheel now. I really hope he doesn't kill anyone.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Done-With-It...Funny you mentioned Rite Aid...the incident I witnessed also happened in a Rite Aid. No joke.

Pounced on you? Wow...I'm glad management in your case cared to do something about it. That must have been scary. I'm not sure what I would have done in your situation. I probably would have crapped my pants. Have a good night.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hi, Kevin.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

lol Hi Bamboozle
Old 09-20-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Done-With-It...Funny you mentioned Rite Aid...the incident I witnessed also happened in a Rite Aid. No joke.

Pounced on you? Wow...I'm glad management in your case cared to do something about it. That must have been scary. I'm not sure what I would have done in your situation. I probably would have crapped my pants. Have a good night.
Ha Ha, those ®ite Aids, I've got some of the craziest stories from there.
Especially the Hollywood one. Oyy Veyy..
Yea I was å little scared but I am so used to that crap in that store,
luckily it happened to fast for me to get too scared. LOL
If the girl before me had not been screaming at the management though,
I don't think they would have known.
good ol' Rite Aid... Wrong Aid, is more like it.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

What is Rite Aid?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

They sell stuff like shampoo, and makeup, markers, you can get presciptions there, they have an ice cream cone ståtion, DVDS, film processing, books, mops, dog food, TP, your basic necessities when you don't want to go to a grocery store or to Target, oh and
alchol, lol. they mark everything up.
They sell a lot of ålcohol because they are open late, there seems to always be trouble in the ones here even though they are pretty nice stores, I dunno why.

When Brittany Spears was going through her problems, she would always go shopping for lipstick at like midnight åt Rite Aid. It's like that, Just Random Crazy. LOL
Old 09-20-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

LOL Wrong Aid.

Yeah, over-priced, that's for sure.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Ah bit like our 7-eleven stores
Old 09-20-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Its a drug store..
Old 09-20-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It's amazing how cultural some of this stuff is. Here in Japan, although they aren't as prominent as they used to be, you can by booze from vending machines on the street. Yet, you never see underage kids at them. I also almost never see an intoxicated person in the store buying booze. Although, if you did I seriously doubt they would refuse service.

Pennsylvania also has some draconian laws as well. You can only buy liquor/wine at a state store and beer you have to buy either by the case at a beer distributor (closed on Sundays) or by the unit/six pack at a bar at a marked up price.

I've heard in Louisiana you can buy mixed drinks to go at a drive-thru!! That one's just crazy (like why do they put braille on the keyboard of the drive-thru ATM?).
Old 09-20-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
Ah bit like our 7-eleven stores
Hey now, them 'merican.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

or Circle - K perhaps, LOL
Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done-With-It View Post
or Circle - K perhaps, LOL
And they're a US west coast thing. I only first saw one when I lived in Hawaii (well, actually Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but in person--Hawaii).

"I went to a store that had a sign that said "Open 24 Hours" and it was closed...I asked the manager 'Why are you closing? It says you're open 24 hours.' He said 'Not in a row.'"--Stephen Wright

"Why do they have locks on Seven-elevens?"--??
Old 09-20-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by BeamMeUpScotty View Post
Hey now, them 'merican.
Yep I forgot that, most of the chain stores here are american.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
Yep I forgot that, most of the chain stores here are american.
Did you like my "local color" dialect, eh? Yes, we Yanks love our economic, among others, imperialism. How long till GWB is out?

Sometimes it is more than a little embarrassing being a US expat. Could almost drive someone to drink--almost.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

local colour? missed that I think

lol don't let thant make ya pick up