Notices

New to this

Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

Hi folks - I am new to this forum and not that of alcoholism.

I have literally only just made the effort to get sober, in fact its only been 24 hours (no, 26!) since I last drank. Believe it or not, its the longest I have gone without a drink for probably a year. Suffice to say I have all of the withdrawals - nausea, shaking, nervousness, cant sleep, rapid heart beat.

I am 30 now and been drinkng heavily for the last 5. My father was an alcoholic and died on Christmas Eve last year. It should have been the catalyst for me to stop but it did the reverse. At the time I was in a relationship with a herion addict so we were co-dependant. That relationship ended and I met someone else new - perfect in every way for me. did this curb my drinking? No. Whole weekends would go by when I did nothing but drink. I would lie about if I had drunk and how much. I would drink in the mornings, evenings, the middle of the night - you name it. I would take many Mondays off but somehow managed to funtion at work. Things came to a head this weekend when I was supposed to meet my girlfriends brother - I turned up drunk, denied it and proceeded to pass out. The last time I met the brother I did pretty much the same thing, so I definately thinks I am an alcoholic. I am trying to stop now becuase if this continues I face the very real possibility of not being in this relationship. It is equally evident how progressive the illness is becoming. I dont know if I will suceed. I certainly know that I can no longer drink normally. I hope this forum helps - not here for advcie just to share stuff with folks who have been through similiar things.

Cheers
Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, RA. Welcome to SR.

Detoxing without medical supervision can be extremely dangerous. Please do not do this alone. There is some important information in the stickies at the top of the Alcoholism forum.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RightAngled View Post
Hi folks - I am new to this forum and not that of alcoholism.

I have literally only just made the effort to get sober, in fact its only been 24 hours (no, 26!) since I last drank. Believe it or not, its the longest I have gone without a drink for probably a year. Suffice to say I have all of the withdrawals - nausea, shaking, nervousness, cant sleep, rapid heart beat.

I am 30 now and been drinkng heavily for the last 5. My father was an alcoholic and died on Christmas Eve last year. It should have been the catalyst for me to stop but it did the reverse. At the time I was in a relationship with a herion addict so we were co-dependant. That relationship ended and I met someone else new - perfect in every way for me. did this curb my drinking? No. Whole weekends would go by when I did nothing but drink. I would lie about if I had drunk and how much. I would drink in the mornings, evenings, the middle of the night - you name it. I would take many Mondays off but somehow managed to funtion at work. Things came to a head this weekend when I was supposed to meet my girlfriends brother - I turned up drunk, denied it and proceeded to pass out. The last time I met the brother I did pretty much the same thing, so I definately thinks I am an alcoholic. I am trying to stop now becuase if this continues I face the very real possibility of not being in this relationship. It is equally evident how progressive the illness is becoming. I dont know if I will suceed. I certainly know that I can no longer drink normally. I hope this forum helps - not here for advcie just to share stuff with folks who have been through similiar things.

Cheers

WELCOME!!!

You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, RA!!

I am on hour 36. I know exactly how you feel. This is the longest I have been sober in over a year. My parents were both alcoholics, dad died of liver failure. I finally got sick of embarassing myself and feeling tired all of the time.

I think the first step is actually saying (writing) that you have a problem. You can do it - we can do it together!!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for that - much appreciated - I take on board what was said about medical help. Certainly the insomnia is the worst - hence its two in the morning writing this. Its good to have written stuff down. I would rather be writing this than contemplating drinking - trust me, I have woken up in the middle of the night just to drink! Not good. Hopefully can both give and recieve support here.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...Welcome to our recovery community.

Please click on the link below
to find what Bam mentioned.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Good to see you here with us
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome right-angled. You've come to a good place.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi. I am also new. Both to new recovery and online recovery. I look forward to learning how to connect with others in recovery.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have almost 24 hours too, every time I fall down I get back up and I learn from each experience; going to meetings and posting here have given me a lot to think about and I'm not giving up on me; we can do this;
Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow - its been four hours since I joined and so many responses - very good to know I am amongst friends! Been up all that time - its now 04:40 - I may be tired, I may feel ill, but I have not drank. Just gotta get through another day!!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time!

Hey RightAngled! Your story sounds real familiar! I am 31, and realizing my children are growing up, and I'm missing it all! I have to stop, or I'm going to loose everything I hold dearest.

The detox is afwul!! But it does go away! I remember when I first stopped, the second day I had the shakes so bad I was afraid to drive! All I could think was if I just drank a couple of beers, I could drive just fine. But I did not drink, and I made it through one more day. It feels awful, but once you are through it, it really makes you think twice about drinking. Try to take some vitamins, it helped me! And drink lots of water, try to limit to much caffine or sodas.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cheers for that - I have some camomile tea which will erase the caffine and have a big bottle of water on my desk, sadly have ti gi into work but the distraction maybe just what i need. after the shame and embrassment of saturday i spent sunday/monday quite drunk - i mean to the point of phoning in sick and arriving at the pub at 9am and pretty much drinking all day stopping I guess some 12 hours later, and not telling anyone, you guys are the first to know that......gonna take it nice and slow!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

RightAngled and PattysPaw - I guess that makes us classmates! We are all newbies, started down this path within hours of each other.

RA, I know that feeling. There have been days when I don't have work that I pop off to the local bar at 11 am or so, and before I know it, it's been 12 or 14 hours. Especially when it is a place you go to a lot, the staff start to feel like family. Sometimes they are the only ones that are happy to see you - or they are more happy to see you than any of your friends or family.

I am counting on you guys to stick with it and help me if I stumble. In turn, I promise to do the same.

/big hug :-)
Old 09-16-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

no worries - well i am about to start my day - tired, but not hungover snd take it slowly, take care all ans lots of hugs back!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, on Day 11 here and coming here when feeling tempted really helps me.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Right Angled. You will definitely find support here. I hope you will come here and post before you take another drink. YOu WILL find that your quality of life will improve when you find sobriety. I was afraid my days would DRAG by if I wasn't drinking. Truth is, just the opposite happened. They are flying by and I find I am laughing, smiling, grateful and enjoying life more than I have in a very long time. No matter how much I want the wine in the evenings....I remember how great it feels to wake up without guilt, confusion and feeling like crap about myself and the day ahead. Now I feel rested, thankful and look forward to the gift of a new day!!

Look forward to hearing more from you as you move forward on this journey!! SUZ10
Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

Keep posting, we are happy you found us...
Old 09-18-2008, 12:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hey guys - hope all is well and thanks for your positive and caring responses. I am jsut over two days in. Yesterday was tough but got through it and managed to sleep after 40 hours of being awake. Feel tired and still shakey but a lot of the worst seems to be passing. Its funny that people who have never directly experienced severe alcohol abouse, alcoholism, call it what you will just dont get it. I emaileda a very good friend of mine to tell him. He then texted me back later that say with a picture of a lager and his intentions for the evening. He then sent me a voicemail to say he was getting drunk and a shame I could not be there. I played squash as well with another friend of mine anf afterweards when we went to the pun was shocked I wanted a pint of coke and not beer. Then went round my sisters who was drinking as was my brother in law and they found it amusing, almost laughable I was not drinking. She invited me and my girlfriend round for a takeaway soon and said something like we can all have some beers, except you who can stick to your fruit juice. Great. Dont think any comments are born from malice, but a wholescale ignorance of just what abusing this horrid substance can do. Thats why I guess its such a difficult thing to give up and why we all must just take it one hour, one day at a time.

Peace and love - stay strong and keep focused on just why we are doing this.

RA
Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

A BIG hearty welcome to all the new folks

I am so pleased and grateful you have all joined us on this tremendous journey