Notices

New to this

Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Right,
Welcome to SR. Sounds like your having a tough time! It will get better. But stick with it. It all came to a head for me last november, I realised after years of drinking that I had a problem, I am an alcoholic. Still feels weired saying it, me, I say to my self, yes me! I went 7 months from november without a drop, but for no reason started again thinking that I can drink like the next "normal"person. What a huge mistake. I lost a few months, did some things I am really not proud of. But you can't look back mate, can you. Anyway, here I am again day 10, looking to be the person I really want to be, sober. PM me if you like I' in blighty to. Take care look forward to hearing from you.
Chris
Old 09-18-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can absolutely understand the comments from your friends and family hitting a nerve. Boyfriend made some comments like "sure you're quitting". Had a heart to heart with my son last night, and he said "you never embarrass me........when you're drunk". Hardy har har. Funny to them, not so much to me.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi RightAngled - you seem to have a wonderful attitude. SR has helped save my life, even though I got off to a slow start about a year ago, I'm at 8 mos. now. I came crawling here very sick and wounded. When I first logged on, I was amazed at how happy and upbeat most people were. How could they have such a horrible problem and be cheerful? I finally found my sense of humor again. Be excited about your new life, I'm very happy for you. Love, Joanie
Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A big welcoming hug to all those who have recently joined our international family! You've come to a loving and supporting place. I am finding sobriety to be a great way to live. I'm so grateful I found this place when I was in such need. My friends here have supported me since I came here. They never gave up on me and gave me the love, and sometimes the ass-kicking, I so desperately needed.

We are glad to have you travelling with us on the road to better living. It's much more fun than travelling alone!

:ghug
Old 09-19-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

hang on

I am 43 and come from a long line of alcoholics - most of them gone now.My brother died in a fire at 32 - too drunk to save himself. My uncle died at 53 years old after suffering from alcoholic anorexia and brain damage. Very sad to witness. We can recover from all the emotional/psych damage that our drinking causes us, but if we wreck our bodies - that's it. I am newly sober myself and I want to live the second half of my life healthy. Maybe I'll be the first in my family to be old before I die. Hold on tight - you can do this.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses and support - thank you enillhec for your very personal and heartfelt response. Like a lot od people here, I too have seen first hand the devestation alcohol can do. My father, mother, aunt and grandfather all abussed alcohol - some more than others. All of them are dead, my geandfather and aunt in their 40s, my mum in her 50s and my dad in his early 60s. I have just turned 30 and I too would like to live to be old!

The worst thing I find is being judged and when I feel judged and that people are looking down at me, I tend to act in a way that fully justifies their negative view of me. Odd! well I am on day 4 and I think all the alcohol is out of my system and feel pretty good but also scared. I have to face my girlfirends family tonight who are convinced (with some justification) I am an alcoholic and mad and clearly not the right guy for their daughter. I feel very judged by them. Will take a lot not to drink but I am in no way going to lose the control and allow people to see a version of me that in no way reflects my true self. If I drink the I give them all the leeway to think bad. so I wont and I will be stronger for it.

Thanks guys - you have no idea how much