Notices

how do I know if I'm an alcoholic

Old 09-16-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how do I know if I'm an alcoholic

I'm 30 years old and I have a good job. I don't drink anything during the week. But I like to go out to bars and restaurants on the weekends. I usually start afterwork on friday, and drink generally until closing time. I go out a little later on Saturdays and usually stay out until closing time saturday also. Unless I'm at an activity like a barbeque or get together, watching sports or something, then I start earlier. On sundays I drink beer at parties, a barbecue, while watching football, etc. I stop kinda early like 8pm. As to prepare for the coming workweek. Now I don't really see how this has affected my life negativly except for a hangover everyonce in a while. In fact I meet a lot of contacts and network through social drinking. I recently got pulled over and arrested for a dwi and I'm thinking maybe I need to do a self evaluation. Ive never been to an AA meeting before. I don't really know what they are about, if I need to go to some meetings, or if Im even an alcoholic. I think an alcoholic is somebody that has a physical or mental need to drink, or does not know when to stop. There are plenty of times when I don't want to drink. I've never missed work or any functions from alcohol.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnnypiece View Post
I'm 30 years old and I have a good job. I don't drink anything during the week. But I like to go out to bars and restaurants on the weekends. I usually start afterwork on friday, and drink generally until closing time. I go out a little later on Saturdays and usually stay out until closing time saturday also. Unless I'm at an activity like a barbeque or get together, watching sports or something, then I start earlier. On sundays I drink beer at parties, a barbecue, while watching football, etc. I stop kinda early like 8pm. As to prepare for the coming workweek. Now I don't really see how this has affected my life negativly except for a hangover everyonce in a while. In fact I meet a lot of contacts and network through social drinking. I recently got pulled over and arrested for a dwi and I'm thinking maybe I need to do a self evaluation. Ive never been to an AA meeting before. I don't really know what they are about, if I need to go to some meetings, or if Im even an alcoholic. I think an alcoholic is somebody that has a physical or mental need to drink, or does not know when to stop. There are plenty of times when I don't want to drink. I've never missed work or any functions from alcohol.
Here's a good one, being from Michigan I'm naturally a little prejudiced.

Michigan Alcohol Screening Test
Old 09-16-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hello johnny, welcome to the forums!

Some people disagree with this, I'm just sharing my experience from a few years in AA. If you're contemplating whether you have a problem with alcohol, if you're questioning it or debating it, then chances are pretty good that you have an issue with it.

Normal drinkers just don't give any thought to it, there's no reason for the question to enter their minds, and they certainly don't get DUI's when they drink.

Here's a simple test from the AA website, maybe it'll help you decide Alcoholics Anonymous : Is A.A. For You?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I score kinda low on those but maybe I'll just go to a meeting and see what they do there.I dont really feel like tellling people my life story, however. If I were to go and just sit there would it upset other people that are there to share their problems? How do you find somewhere to go?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't use the term "alcoholic". I am, however, an alcohol abuser.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I score kinda low on those but maybe I'll just go to a meeting and see what they do there.I dont really feel like tellling people my life story, however. If I were to go and just sit there would it upset other people that are there to share their problems? How do you find somewhere to go?
Here's a meeting locator Alcoholics Anonymous : Central Offices, Intergroups, Answering Services and General Service Conference Area Web Sites for (US/Canada)

Here's what to expect at a meeting http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html

It's fine to just go and listen, you don't have to speak if you don't want to. I was told to listen for the similarities rather than the differences, I knew after going to my first meeting that I belonged there.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, there are a few books out there that discuss the stages of the disease, if you scored 'kinda low' it could be entirely possible that you're in the early stages of the disease, stage one, maybe? In any event, the term alcoholic is only useful for us as the word we use to describe ourselves.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Well, there are a few books out there that discuss the stages of the disease
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 09-16-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for the feedback
Old 09-16-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....
Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here is a quick 2 question test from Alcoholics Anonymous.

"we hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the non-alcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic."

Taken from Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Edition
Old 09-17-2008, 03:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I too struggle with that, but know that I have a problem. I feel awful mentally after drinking, even if I don't get drunk, so that in itself is a sign.

I was worried that the problem would progress and start affecting my life so decided to quit.

Welcome to SR