Notices

Why Can't We See!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Smile Why Can't We See!

The memory of drinking has vanished. My new routine has given me twice as much time. Time spent focused on the future. Time spent on steps needed to reach goals, both short and long-term. Looking back always amazes me. Amazed at how I could not see. Blinded by the obsession of drinking. I could not look past the next drunk, let alone, the next week. To live in the moment is a good thing, unless you're slowly killing yourself. I think we're all smart enough to know if we want to live or die. The problem with drinking is that we're convinced our actions mean we want to die. We watch what we do to our bodies and throw in the towel. Once sober, we wonder how we ever developed that thought process. I think it is best said with this question.

"How can we expect to use our brain to tell us when our brain has had too much to drink for too long?"
Old 09-16-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's vanished? Be careful. You're still new in your sobriety. It's great to be feeling great. I am also!! No cravings for days and days. I LOVE it. However, I am still aware that it can come back hit me again. Just stay on your toes and thanks for the upbeat post Hope.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It takes just one second to be right back there. Enjoy your sobriety! It is wonderful, isn't it? I like to take a moment and remember how friggin' bad "it" was...so I don't go back. Me and feeling good...never a good combo. lol
Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, Hope! Good to hear from you. Sounds like you're doing good and finding your way. Take it easy.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Thumbs up

I have two years 3 months.. but I am a "baby" compared to others here with

umpteen years...

The fact is newcomers are the lifeblood and the hope of SR...

And gosh I am so proud of all of you!!!!!!!!

Some of us..are one drink away from a drunk.

Some, one drug away from a high..

Others, dually addicted, like me, both.

As long as we all hang together we'll do just fine!

Thanks for the post, HopeTo..

Keep doing what you are doing

Hugs
Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think I know what you mean, Hope. It's incredible that any of us get to the point of knowing it's time to quit when our brains are so sogged out on alcohol. I guess that's why we have to get to the point where we hurt so much, that our hearts rule out over our brains.
It's good to see you doing so well. And your post sounded to me like you do remember how awful your drunk days were.
I'm still so tired that I'm not really feeling the full benefits of staying sober yet. I came home from work early and took a nap, and have been snacking and reading here, and don't feel like doing anything else at all. I'd love to just go back to sleep, really. I ought to take my dog for a walk and cut the grass. But I'm going to take a nice hot bath, get dressed and go to an AA meeting. Sometimes I just have to force myself to do anything. I believe it will get better.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopeTo180 View Post
The memory of drinking has vanished.
My memory of drinking hasn't vanished, but I do feel good and wonder what I was doing to myself. I am on Day 6 and have not had any cravings at all. I am so thankful for that but also a little leary cuz you never know what may cause a trigger.

Sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope,

I am glad that the want for drinking has vanished for you. But please be careful...

I have almost 7 months (a baby myself). I find when things are going smoothly the want vanishes. But right now I am under some stress and I am really wanting to drink.

Not meaning to lecture, in fact it is great that you feel this way right now.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm still praying you make it through the night, Toomuch!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm praying we all make through the night without drinking/using; one day at a time
Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

I remember that flames burn and electricity shocks. I'm not paranoid of these dangers. I am simply aware that they exist. Alcohol is in the same category. There are many things in our surroundings that will hurt you. I found out the hard way that alcohol is one of them. For me, it really is that simple.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am starting to accept that I will always be 1 drink away from being drunk. I don't think I ever looked at it that way before until my last relapse.

What is keeping me going this time is the thought that it only takes 1 successful attempt at sobriety to never drink again, no matter happened in the past, just 1 success and you will never look back.

I am glad to hear you are doing good and thanks for posting this!