Notices

Hey i'm new

Old 09-15-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey i'm new

Just joined the site today. I've known for a long time that I need to stop drinking completely. In the last year it has been very clear, but i've never been able to stop.
I cannot control my drinking. Once i have one drink i just dont stop. I have little memory of the nights I drink but i always am filled with regret the next day. I promise myself i'll only have a few drinks the next weekend but the cycle continues. My relationships are badly affected by my drinking - i'm constantly letting people down and hurting people with my words and actions while drunk.

I only drink once or twice a week but i have cravings to drink more often than that and recently i've been giving in and getting drunk by myself at home. My sister is an alcoholic and i'm terrified i'm on a downward path that will lead me to where she is. I am scared of quitting alcohol - i dont know how to have fun without it. but the thing I've realised is that it isn't even fun anymore. there is always so much drama when i drink, and so much regret the next day that really there is no point to it. But i know its going to be very difficult for me to stop. I'm only 20 and binge drinkng on weekends is pretty much all me and my social group do. but they dont do it to the extent i do. they all know when to stop. I'd really appreciate all the help and support i can get and i'll be sure to do the same for others in need of it also. I dont really have a plan except to stop drinking completely and make an appointment with a councillor to get more advice on how to handle things.
Best wishes to all - Cait
Old 09-15-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome Cait! Glad you are here!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Cait! Glad that you found us

There is a lot of support here in these forums! Please check out our
"Alcoholism" Forum and the stickies at the top of the each forum-where you
will find a wealth of information!

We are here for you-please know that you are not alone-I think the start
of your plan getting in touch with a counselor and or a Doctor is a great
start!

Keep posting!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cait: Welcome!
Starting here is a very good step. The all important step though is to stop drinking today. It appears that you are realizing that you cannot handle alcohol...it handles you! Most of us cannot think about the long term of not drinking ever again, that is why the one day at a time is so successful. The fear that all the fun in your life will be gone if you quit is also common...between drinks we easily forget how not fun it all became. If you are serious, and it sounds like you're getting there, then saying no to that first drink, one drink at a time, will become easier everytime you exercise that muscle. Look around SR and see how others are staying sober and draw courage and support from them.
Good luck to you, and keep posting...it helps!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Cait! Glad to meet you!

I, too, was a binge drinker on weekends...then it started creeping into drinking a few extra nights during the week at home, by myself. I understand how hard it can be to stop, when it seems like all social activities at your age revolve around the bar and drinking with friends. I wish I had your maturity when I was your age to stop then...I'm 33 now and only just now getting it.

One thing I noticed after stopping drinking was how sloppy everyone looked at the bar as the night progressed! The girls all had hooded eyes, make-up smeared, looking like a hot mess. The guys were all red-faced, slurring, stumbling. And the sad thing is, I know that I was always the most drunk out there before!

Read through as many threads as you can, post often...you'll really get to know the people here and see that there are many young people who are at the same steps as yourself right now. You absolutely can get control of this and stop now...and we will be here every step of the way for you!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a loving and supportive site! Seeing a counselor is a good move, as staying sober has a lot to do with changing your thinking and habits. Please come here often to share your feelings and troubles. We will support you all the way in your journey to sobriety. Lots of good advice and experience here. Glad you found us!!

:ghug3
Old 09-15-2008, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Cait.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, it is great that you are identifying that you need to quit at a young age.