Notices

Damn - sudden emptiness

Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Damn - sudden emptiness

I don't know what it is, or why it's suddenly happened but I have a massive emptiness at the moment...I really really want a glass of wine! I'm drinking water and stuffing crisps down me but it's really difficult.

Help! get me through this. I can't blow this when I'm two days off a month

sas
Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go do something!!! anything!

Sometimes when I crave wine I drink an ice cold diet coke and it helps a little.

Focus on how you would feel in the morning, you wouldn't stop at one u would drink the bottle!

Keep posting, all night if you have to

:ghug3
Old 09-12-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Coolmummy,

How about putting on some good music, or go for a long walk.

Do you have someone you can call?

Do whatever you can to distract yourself.

You can get through this.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi there.

I agree - do something, ANYTHING, to distract yourself. Read inspirational posts here (like go read the thread about least making it to 60 days). Watch a movie that really makes you laugh. Read a book. Go for a walk. Call a friend. Find a way to occupy your mind in a POSITIVE way.

Stop for just a minute and really think - honestly and completely - about what will happen if you have that first glass of wine... which you KNOW will turn into the whole bottle, if not more... and then consequently how you will feel later tonight... and then how you will feel tomorrow morning.

You've come so far already and you CAN DO THIS!!! You really can. Remember, it's not that 4th or 7th drink that gets us drunk. IT'S THE FIRST. Just don't drink RIGHT NOW. Take it 5 minutes at a time, 1 minute at a time if you have to.

*HUGS* :ghug
Old 09-12-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Coolmummy View Post
I don't know what it is, or why it's suddenly happened but I have a massive emptiness at the moment...I really really want a glass of wine!
A glass of wine won't fill it...

I like to jump in the car and crank up the stereo. I know gas is expensive, but still cheaper than (most) wine.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sas - I felt the same way right before my birthday (30 days sober). You can handle this though. Don't panic. Remember it's just a feeling. It doesn't mean you have to act on it.

Fill up with crisps, get out of the house, scribble in your journal, call someone and hear about their life or talk to them about your struggle if you're comfortable. Anything but do not drink. Just for this hour you will not drink, how about that? And then reasses after an hour passes and repeat. Thinking of you................
Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

(((Coolmummy))) Yesterday I was having cravings all day, on and off. I was even in tears at one point. I knew it would pass so I just went out for a while with my husband to run errands. KEEP BUSY!!!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

it is so hard at times, but we need to remember how awful we feel after that glass of wine...this will be my first weekend in over a year without a drink. Let's stay strong together
Old 09-12-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hell, this is really hard! I'm thinking all those stupid thoughts like 'well, if I just limit my drinking to Friday nights' and 'I'm sure I can stop at one'. I know damn well i can't though. I've been tearing around the house tidying up, cooked and served the kids dinner, now I'm just twitching. Aargh. Right, I'll have some flavoured water and a cigarette - I know, I know another adiction.

Be back very soon no doubt. Thank you all!

sas
Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool Mummy,
YOu should go back and re-read your posts. It will remind you how far you've come!! Especially when you changed your name from Sad to Cool. You can do this. Someone said that "ice on your neck" can quell the cravings and I KNOW that Dove Chocolates do it for me. Ahhhhh....and chocolate ice cream!!
Go out and browse a book store. Take a walk!! Don't give in today. You can do it!!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cool Mummy: I blew it around the 50 day mark...something about those milestones for me. You know what happened? I got sick, I bawled, I felt like crap, I lost my days, I regretted soooo much what happened, etc., etc.. Don't lose your days, hon! There's nothing out there for you. Holy deja vu.... people wrote that exact line to me and I didn't believe them!!! I pray you're stronger than I was....but I've gotten "it" now.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No to highjack your thread Sas but Dancing Girl - I am so glad you came back after you slipped. It took maybe a week, maybe less. I think about you when I want to drink. And that's a good positive thing.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hope your okay CoolMummy not SadMummy. You will be sad if you have a glass of wine and as so many wise people have told me before, "wine will only make it worse." It won't fill your emptiness. You have to feel the emotions now and get through them. We like to numb the emotions and run from them and so this is new, but so much better in my opinion. You can do it hon! :ghug3
Old 09-12-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Remember why you changed your name from sad mummy to cool mummy! Hold on and smoke as many cigarettes as you have to to get through it.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I like to go to the bulk candy store and get individual bags of tons of different candies..some sweets, some sours, some crunchies, some squishies...etc.. When I feel the need for a "fix" of drinking, I look through my candy bag and pick the one closest to what my body is craving...usually that's enough to stop the booze cravings. Yes, my pants are tight now. Seriously, though, sometimes it's just having the forbidden candy that feels like I'm getting away with something...like what booze used to do for me.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How you doing cm? Today has been horrible for me as well! Don't give in when you are this close to having a month under your belt.

Really hope you are ok
Old 09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hang on tight, CoolMummy! YOu can survive this without giving in. Your sober self is stronger than your drinking self - that's why you came here before picking up!!

I had and still have cravings but my sober self talks the ears off my drinking self and finally drinking self just slinks away and sulks somewhere!

You're stronger than you know. All the times I had any sober time and then relapsed I felt like a pile of sh!t the next day. You know you can defeat/outlive/talk yourself out of the cravings.

One day, one hour, one minute at a time!

:ghug3 I have faith in you that you can stay sober!!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang in there! You can do it. No more being sadmummy!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Doing ok - thank you all so much :ghug3 Have gone through a large pack of choccy sweeties and am about to watch some funny tv with a hot chocolate drink. Glad I didn't falter - it's still there a bit, but I know it's not worth it!

Phew, that was pretty grim - my first test I guess.

Will check in tomorrow.

Love to all

sas xxx:
Old 09-12-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've very proud of you coolmummy! Yay!!