Notices

Temptaions

Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time!

Temptaions

I'm sure you all have temptations. So I thought I'd start this thread so we can all talk about it, and share with each other how we said "NO!"

My temptation today came from my neighbor. He didn't know that I quit drinking, and started going to AA. He came over to bum a cig from me. Told me he'd trade me a couple beers for a cig! Oh boy! 10 days ago, I'd have been happy to do it! What a deal! TWO beers for one cig!?!?! But I quickly told him my decision to stop drinking. He apologized and said he'd have never offered if he had known. It was kinda funny, the look on his face was one like he had just ran over my dog.

A good person is an old drinking buddy that finds out you are sobering up, and does all in their power to not tempt you! Definition of an a$$hole...an old drinking buddy that finds out you are sobering up, and brings you a beer to celebrate!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

love the defination how true how true how true .. Its hard to just say in passing hey im in recovery or AA what ever , its not like an open topic at a meeting. I know when i would see my old friends that hadnt know of my decission to get sober did the same thing , shocked and supportive but yet as i read in another forum stopped calling when i got sober , but thats ok .. proud you made the choice to tell another your neighbor felt good to be honnest bout it im sure . more power to you today .. peace be with you Mrs O
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really haven't been tempted yet but I had a hard weekend last week. Some girl at my work was having a party, then the X came over with his bag of scrips and it was just over kill for me.

I didn't go to the party because that would have been a stupid decision on my part for me and I told the X to never bring the pills in my house ever again PLEASE!!!! Of course in his defense he said "but you're an alcoholic, you don't have a problem with pills", well I don't want one either. I had horrible relapse dreams, felt horrible that morning. I just want to stay as far away as possible from people using and the stuff in general altogether.

BAD JU JU!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My biggest temptation seems to be wanting to stop feeling....When that happens, I have reminded myself of how long it took for me the last time I decided to drink my feelings away. I also reminded myself that I was happy just a short time ago and will be again.

I am excited that I was able to get through those rough patches....would love to not have anymore of them...but lets get real

I get such a kick out of seeing someone here walk there way through the temptation without using or drinking! It inspires me and gives me hope!!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Temptation? Friday night that I could go to local club, dance, have fun and not drink.......yeah, right. One forgets how resentments, hurt, rejection and anger lead to a binge of forgetting. It's not worth it.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

At lunch today.....the Hostess was heading straight for
the dim bar/cocktail lounge to seat my son and I.

He quietly asked her to find a table in
the sunny dining room. She did.

We had a fit of giggleing cause there was a time
I would have insisted on leaving restaurant
rather than be served otside the bar area...

I've been sober quite awhile ...my son is a non drinker
while the bar scene would not be tempting
the sour stink of alcohol and overly loud voices
fortell a lousy lunch.

Lesson...Speak up when dining out
There is no reason to sit in a bar.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

The last time I was offered a beer it was by someone close to me who was in denial about my drinking problem. I simply said "no" and didn't bother to explain. The beer offer was dropped. I guess she sort of understood after all.

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
My fault.

Horselover, it is not your fault that people are inconsiderate jerks. You are doing everything in your power to do the right things in your life. Remember this...it certainly helps me at times. You cannot control what anyone else does. You can only control yourself. :ghug3 I'm sorry you are going through such a crappy time with your crappy neighbor.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My temptations/triggers are mostly bad feelings, unpleasant events or days where I'd love to just sink into oblivion and forget that I exist. But I'm training myself to refute the temptation to drink by reminding myself of how much happier I am sober and how much less complicated my life is when I'm sober. Besides which, I'm coming up on 60 days sober and am too damn stubborn to wreck it and have to start over! I'm proud of my sobriety and won't give in to any triggers cause I've had too many Day Ones and know how nasty I felt about every stinking relapse... So if I don't want to wake up feeling like dirt and hating myself I just don't drink!

Somehow it's getting a lot easier to stay sober. The more days I have sober the more I want to stay that way!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am very lucky in that I moved about a year ago and don't have any current drinking buddies. My Mom was my drinking buddy but has now been sober for 3+ weeks. I'm very grateful to not have this added challenge in my quest to stay sober. You're all troopers in my book.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time!

Thanks to all who have shared their stories!!

Endzoner, don't worry about those "friends" that don't come around anymore. I know how you feel, all alone. But be greatful. If those friends came around, you would be so tempted to "join in the fun." Maybe one day we can be around others that are drinking, and not be tempted. Look around your AA group! There are new friends just waiting to be made! Now is the time to try to make better relationships with those people we have avoided because they didn't drink! (Or so I keep reminding myself! TRYING to remember to take my own advice!)

Vegi, way to go girl!! Glad you saw those temptations and stayed away! One day at a time!!

Ana, I'm just the opposite. It's hard for me to stay away because I want to feel like "my old self!" Weird huh? Anyrate, the fog is finally lifting in my head, and I'm starting to figure out who my TRUE self is.

Little, very well said!!!

Boston, congrats to your Mom!! That's awesome! I kinda wish I could move, but I have this issue with change! It's hard enough changing my habits and NOT drinking! I think a move right now would throw me into hysterics! ha!

OK, now that my book has been written....I hope you all have a great day!!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Temptations...

Fridays, Saturdays, friends I haven't heard from in awhile that I always drank with calling to "catch up", football season, vacations, bad days, boring days, concerts, going on DATES, parties, awkward situations, simply going out for dinner...

A lot of these I have no yet faced given I've had 5 days sobriety...but I'm sure these are to come!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stress has tempted me a few times lately.

But my biggest craving was watching TV and a lady was drinking a glass of white wine on an outside patio. She looked so relaxed and happy.

For some reason that image still bothers me.

I just have to tell myself: "It was on television Suzette, get a grip"!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Books with characters relaxing with a glass of wine and, like Toomuch, people relaxing with a glass of wine on tv. Sometimes the beer ads too. Need to stop watching tv and reading I guess. Just kidding! Stress is the biggest one with me though!