Notices

I want to know how to help him

Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I want to know how to help him

Since I have known my boyfriend he has had his problems with drink. this Monday he decided its time to give up and asked me to help him. I dont know what to do he is serious about this and I really want to be there for him but I dont know what to do for him.

He has cut down from drinking all day everyday to binging on the weekend and a few during the week, which is ok only a lot of the time he gets very mean and scary when he drinks to much.

I really dont know how to help him!

He is in court ordered drink councilling but doesnt think AA will help.

Does any one have advice?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He's lucky to have someone as caring as you, but you can't do it. He has to want to. He has to find the answers. Its so hard because you love him. We have a family and friends forum and they know what you're going through. If he is serious about quitting then he will find a way to do it. I pray you find what YOU need and he finds what HE needs. Hugs to you Helper.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here's the link to that site - http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/

Welcome to SR and good luck to you!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hello helper, welcome to our home in recovery. Please take the time to introduce yourself in the Friends & Family Of Alcoholics forum at this site, it's sorta like the Al-Anon room here and you'll find lots of helpful advice and experience from the friendly folks over there.

I'm an alcoholic, and in spite of my ex's best intentions she couldn't force me to stay sober or even consider sobriety, I had to want it for myself and eventually AA was the only thing that worked for me.

How can you help him? Support him in his recovery, but help yourself first and keep the focus on your own health, safety, and well-being. Have you considered attending Al-Anon meetings?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR helperC! Glad that you found us-Please check out our "Friends and Family " Forum as there is a lot of support. There are stickies at the top of the forum filled with a wealth of information!

Sorry that you are going through this

My XABF got very scary and physically abusive when he drank. Please becareful...he is only going to stop if he wants too. Coming here was a good step for you...we cannot control or force others to do anything, we can only control our own lives.

Glad that you are here there is a lot of support! You are not alone please know this.