Notices

If you are an alcoholic and addict ... AA or NA o

Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

If you are an alcoholic and addict ... AA or NA o

I'm going to AA for my drinking (well, I have been once) and I haven't had a drink for 4 days. I'm also a pill popping junky! Does anyone know, should I go to NA at the same time, or should I do the AA thing first and stop drinking and then concentrate on NA afterwards. Can you be doing different steps in different programs?
Personally, I don't feel strong enough to give up the pills yet, but I don't want to jeopardise staying sober. AA is five minutes away, NA is half an hour away.
Does anyone have experience on this?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Butterfly . tho I dont have the experience on this , but I think that both can be use full , When you get a sponcer it will be up to her/he to determine which steps you should take , I'd think that dropping them both is the smarter thing to do . giving up one only makes the other more desirable . Both Programs are close enuff , just getting the help you need is important and what works for you to keep your attention on not doing either .. peace be with you Mrs O
Old 09-09-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know that you aren't sober when you're using drugs. Medicine taken as prescribed by a Dr. is different, but that doesn't seem like what you mean. Lots of AA people, (including some of the founders) have drug problems along with their alcohol problems. When they quit the booze, the drugs have to go too, or, at least in AA, they can't say they're sober. I think most people consider alcohol to be a drug, so it's like if you said, "I'm giving up wine, but will keep drinking beer," I hope that helps. Hugs to you and keep up the good work. 4 days without a drink is something to cheer about.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

All 12 Step Programs are based on Alcoholics Anonymous...the steps are the same, except for recovery from different addictions (i.e., drinking, narcotics and other drugs, gambling, over-eating, etc.).

You can certainly benefit from attending both programs and you can anticipate that they will both encourage total abstinence from all mood-altering substances...that's how we become clean and sober.

You're fortunate that AA is only five minutes away; but, ten minutes to get to NA isn't really much, when it's your life we're talking about. Use both programs to your advantage...you're well worth the extra effort!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I am a Member of NA but also go to AA meetings as my story involved many years of drinking and as teh message and teh program (steps) is the same. Also its good to mix it up and go to different kind of meetings.

Kevin
Old 09-09-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I do have experience with this.

But I quit both. At the same time. And I went to AA. I ... SATURATED myself in AA, in fact. I went to NA, meetings when I could, or had time - but my focus was on AA.

While I think meetings will do you good, and the fellowship will help you as well - I think personally - I'd be sabotaging my sobriety if I tried to keep taking the pills I was taking and only quit drinking.

No one here can tell you what to do - all they can do is tell you what they experienced.

I know that for myself - I would not have been able to make the radical life changes that I was able to do with the Program of Alcoholics Anonymous, and the support and fellowship I received... had I not folowed the rules and done it 'their way'.

Many many people come into the Program wanting to work it as is convenient for them.
I want to quit, but I don't want to change anything.
I want to quit - but I want to quit my way. At my convenience.

None of them have made it.
Not by trying to make the program fit their preconceived self ideas.
Not one.

But when you take the leap -
and give it all up -
it doesn't do any LESS than change your entire life for the better.

I hope something I've blabbed about here is helpful to ya.
I hope you stick with it and quit what you need to quit in order to stay alive.

We either quit - or we don't.

I Hope you contact your doctor, and get the support you need to be albe to do what you need to to stay sober and get on with a real life.

Best wishes-
barb
Old 09-10-2008, 02:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Thanks guys, that is helpful. I know I have to give up the pills, was just hoping the addiction would kind of go away with the drinking if I went to AA! I must say, yesterday I took about a third of what I normally take.
But I agree, you're not really accepting life on life's terms are you. I'm on antidepressants, but I don't count that because of the REASON I'm taking them. If I took painkillers for pain, I wouldn't count them either, but I know exactly why I take them!!
So, next stop NA. 5th day without alcohol though.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great work on 5 days butterfly!

In my experience, if a sponsee is taking drugs, they don't seem to have the clarity they need to really work the programme. Also, honesty is essential and when using or drinking, honesty is just not there.

Good luck and I hope you decide that you are willing to go to any lengths to stay clean and sober.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Starting to taper off pills tomorrow. Thanks for advice (not what I wanted to hear, but then the right thing to do is never what I want to hear!!).

I am quite terrified at facing life without my little codeine blanket. Alcohol threw my life into more chaos, but I think these are going to be harder to quit. I drank at certain times, but I take these all the time. However, it has got to the point where they're not enough anymore. I have to lie to get them and I hate that.

And when they are not enough anymore, where do I go next? I've had mates go there and I don't want to follow.