Notices

Another Sad Reminder..

Old 04-09-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Another Sad Reminder..

Why Drinking and Driving just don't mix..........

So Sad..

Angels Rookie Pitcher Adenhart Killed in Hit-And-Run Crash

By Dave Sheinin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, April 9, 2009; 2:54 PM

Baseball is mourning the loss of one of the game's most promising young pitchers today, with the news that Los Angeles Angels right-hander Nick Adenhart, a native of Hagerstown, Md., was killed in an apparent hit-and-run automobile accident early this morning in Fullerton, Calif., hours after making a successful 2009 season debut.

Adenhart, 22, died after the car in which he was riding with three other people was struck by a minivan not far from Angel Stadium, where Adenhart had thrown six shutout innings last night in the Angels' loss to the Oakland Athletics. Two people in the car were pronounced dead at the scene, while Adenhart and a fourth person were taken to a nearby hospital. Adenhart underwent emergency surgery at the hospital but died, while the fourth person remained in critical condition.

The driver of the minivan left the scene by foot, but was apprehended nearby, according to police. CNN identified the driver as Andrew Thomas Gallo, 22, and quoted police Lt. Craig Brower as saying Gallo faces charges of manslaughter, felony driving under the influence and hit-and-run.

Adenhart "lived his dream and was blessed to be part of an organization comprised warm, caring and compassionate people," his parents, Jim and Janet, said in a statement released through the team. "The Angels were his extended family. Thanks to all of Nick's loyal supporters and fans throughout his career. He will always be in everyone's hearts forever."

Adenhart, who attended Williamsport High outside Hagerstown, was a former 14th round draft pick and was the Angels' top-ranked prospect entering this season, according to Baseball America. He wound up in the team's Opening Day rotation due to injuries to three other starters. His start Wednesday night was the fourth of his big league career, having made three starts during a brief call-up last May.

"The Angels family has suffered a tremendous loss today," Angels General Manager Tony Reagins said in a statement. "We are deeply saddened and shocked by this tragic loss. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Nick's family, friends, loved ones and fans."

A moment of silence was observed at ballparks across the majors before today's games, and the Angels-A's game tonight was postponed.

In the visiting clubhouse at Oriole Park at Camden Yards this morning, the New York Yankees were preparing for an afternoon game against the Baltimore Orioles, but the clubhouse stereo was immediately turned off and all conversations ceased the moment the breaking news went up on the television set above a bank of lockers.

"Life's too short, and that's a perfect example of it right there," Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain, 23, said. "He was just driving home after the game, and he's not going to the ballpark the next day. It's pretty unfathomable."

Orioles reliever Dennis Sarfate worked out with Adenhart over the winter near their Arizona homes, and called Adenhart a "really nice guy with a really bright future."

"It's one of those days where you just want to go home and hang out with your family," Sarfate said.

Adenhart was a phenom from a very young age. He pitched a Little League all-star team to the Maryland state tournament at age 11. As a 12-year-old he was so overpowering that a rival coach said of him: "It was absolutely incredible. I'm telling you, it was him and the catcher, and that's all they needed. I mean, you had no chance."

He attended Saint Maria Goretti High as a freshman and sophomore before transferring to Williamsport where he quickly became dominant.

"He's the best I've ever seen," South Hagerstown high school coach Ralph Stottlemyer told the Washington Post in 2004.

Before his senior season, he was named the No. 1 prep prospect in the country by Baseball America.

That season, he threw a perfect game to start the campaign and was 5-1 with an 0.73 ERA and an average of 2.2 strikeouts per inning when he suffered a partial ligament tear in his elbow while throwing in his final regular season game. The injury kept him from pitching in the state playoffs.

Adenhart signed with the University of North Carolina and was a good student, with a 3.2 GPA and a 1240 SAT score. But instead of becoming a Tar Heel, Adenhart and the Angels struck a deal: He dropped North Carolina and the Angels gave him a $710,000 bonus, which is much higher than a 14th round pick normally gets, and set him up to take two semesters of classes at Arizona State while his arm recovered from ligament replacement surgery.

After recovering from the injury, he pitched one game for Orem of the Pioneer League in 2005 but showed his promise in the Arizona fall league. He went 2-3 with a 3.68 ERA with 52 strikeouts in 42 innings.

The Angels started him in Class A in 2006, but a 10-2 start with a 1.95 ERA in 16 starts at Cedar Rapids earned him a promotion to High Class A. He didn't disappoint there despite being the youngest player in the California League at age 19, going 5-2 with a 3.78 ERA in nine starts at Rancho Cucamonga

He spent all of 2007 in Class AA, pitching for Arkansas. A 10-8 season with a 3.65 ERA and 116 strikeouts in 153 innings cemented his status as one of the Angels' top prospects.

In 2008, he was promoted to the Class AAA Pacific Coast League and quickly won his first four decisions for Salt Lake City. He was called up to make three starts for the Angels but he struggled with his control, walking 13 batters in 12 innings.

He was sent back down and lost 10 of his next 12 decisions. He finished the season 9-13 with a 5.76 ERA for Salt Lake City.

But the PCL is notoriously hard on pitchers and he had a strong spring. With Angels starters John Lackey (forearm strain), Ervin Santana (strained elbow ligament) and Kelvim Escobar (labrum surgery) hurting, Adenhart won a spot in the Angels' rotation.

Adenhart was a member of the U.S. Olympic Qualifying Team that earned a berth to Beijing.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I hate this type of news.
I have zero tolerance for drunk drivers. Killed the guy and was able to run from the scene.
Makes me friggin sick.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It makes me so sad, and so mad, that this keeps on happening.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In an instant his bright future was laid to rest; it's just not right!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Check out TMZ for all the info. and more details.

Posted Apr 9th 2009 2:55PM by TMZ Staff

UPDATE: The first mugshot of **** on the left is from an '06 arrest for being drunk in public. We also got our hands on *** court documents from his DUI, which was also in '06, in which wrote this haunting sentence:

"I understand that if I continue to drink and drive it may result in death or serious bodily injury to another person."

UPDATE: The middle pic of is his bloody mugshot from a March '07 arrest for drunk and disorderly conduct.

We've just obtained a photo of , who was driving the van that caused the accident that killed Nick Adenhart and two others.

Cops believe **** was driving under the influence and on a suspended license because of a prior DUI. He fled the scene and was arrested. Gallo could be booked on murder charges, along with vehicular manslaughter, hit-and-run and felony DUI.

This Is the Guy Who Caused the Adenhart Crash - TMZ.com

I hope if anything, this may make someone stop and think before they pick up a drink and or drink and drive.

"I understand that if I continue to drink and drive it may result in death or serious bodily injury to another person."

Last edited by Done_With_It; 04-09-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: took out name. : ]
Old 04-09-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

This makes me wonder again about something I have thought about often. Is it that more of the people who are drunk and cause the wrecks are walking away, or are their just as many who have caused the accidents due to being intoxicated who die in the accidents as well?

Has anyone else ever thought about this?

Old 04-09-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The lead story on the news this morning was a hit & run driver who ran into & killed a mother & her baby last night in Albuquerque. They caught him today. I could have been that guy -MORE than once. Sends a chill up & down my spine...
Old 04-10-2009, 03:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This news is so damn sad and frustrating, Don't you just hate the fact that most of the time its the drunk drivers who manage to walk away from the accident?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's so sad but it just seems to go on and on. I am glad to see a lot of reminders of drunk driving here because I think it is so important to heighten everyone's awareness that this does happen every day.

Actually I believe it is only a perception that the drunks usually walk away. I heard some data a while back but I do not remember the source that said you chances of dying in an accident while in an intoxicated condition were greater due to the load alcohol places on the body. Basic functions like respiration and circulation are taxed while intoxicated.