Notices

Non alcoholic drink Question

Old 09-08-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont drink. But it seems to me. It would be like me trying to smoke cocaine free crack.
The action is still there and the mental fix would still be there. And probably eventually pi$$ me off and end up doing the real thing.
But thats just me.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let's examine motives....

If you are a non drinker....why would you want to give
the appearance of drinking alcohol?

Are you wanting to have others see you drink
and if so....why?

Are you bending to peer pressure ?
Your friends are all drinkers?

Ashamed to not drink?

No need to answer me here .just curious
why anyone would be interested in
continueing to look like a drinker......
Old 09-08-2008, 10:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
I do wish you would explain that more.. or direct me to a website that does.
I am unsure how much of a chemsitry background you have so I will try and keep it as basic as possible. I have a background in chemistry as I am majoring in biology which requires a chemistry background. I also took had to take chemistry when I was in nursing school. I am not a chemist by any means and as I stated it is my understanding that there are many types of alcohol besides the kind we drink. What type of alcohol is produced is dependent upon the ratio of carbon to hydrogen atoms as well as the number of each present in the solution.

Alcohol by definition is any substance containing an OH group attached to a hydrocarbon.
Examples are ethyl alcohol or ethanol: C2H5OH; butyl alcohol or butanol: C4H9OH. All of these are alcohol but react differently in the body.

A more complex example can be viewed from the quote below. This came from the website http://www/tiscali.co.uk/reference/e.../m0009891.html

Alcohol (chemistry)

In chemistry, any member of a group of organic chemical compounds characterized by the presence of one or more aliphatic OH (hydroxyl) groups in the molecule, and which form esters with acids. The main uses of alcohols are as solvents for gums, resins, lacquers, and varnishes; in the making of dyes; for essential oils in perfumery; and for medical substances in pharmacy. The alcohol produced naturally in the fermentation process and consumed as part of alcoholic beverages is called ethanol. When consumed the effects of alcohol include poisoning at high concentrations, and changes in the functioning of human nerve cells.

Alcohols may be liquids or solids, according to the size and complexity of the molecule. A monohydric alcohol contains only one hydroxyl group in each molecule. The five simplest alcohols form a series in which the number of carbon and hydrogen atoms in the molecule increases progressively, each one having an extra CH2 (methylene) group: methanol or wood spirit (methyl alcohol, CH3OH); ethanol (ethyl alcohol, C2H5OH); propanol (propyl alcohol, C3H7OH); butanol (butyl alcohol, C4H9OH); and pentanol (amyl alcohol, C5H11OH). The lower alcohols are liquids that mix with water; the higher alcohols, such as pentanol, are oily liquids immiscible with water; and the highest are waxy solids – for example, hexadecanol (cetyl alcohol, C16H33OH) and melissyl alcohol (C30H61OH), which occur in sperm-whale oil and beeswax, respectively. Alcohols containing the CH2OH group are primary; those containing CHOH are secondary; while those containing COH are tertiary.
Hope this helps clarify.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sounds like a personal decision to me but I wouldn't drink AF wine or beer. I didn't really drink for the taste in my last years of drinking anyway. I'm with TSH in that I'm not going to change my extracts for baking or a glass of OJ with Sunday brunch. I have cooking wine in the house, alsways have. Wouldn't occur to me to drink it. I had a steak last week with some kind of sherry in the gravy. It was delicious and didn't "trigger" me. So....just know yourself. Know your triggers. IMO.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I am McLovin'

Our local supermarket sells non-alcoholic wine. Yes, NA wine, in a fancy bottle with a cork and fancy label. My sister-in-law brought a bottle home last week (she's quitting/moderating on her own NA drink plan).

Anyway, it tasted like someone left a glass of grape juice out for 3 weeks and served it. Getting to uncork it like a real bottle was it's only asset.

I'm sticking to regular old coffee/tea/juice/water/soda.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Agree with this part ". . . Sounds like a personal decision to me . . ."
Old 09-09-2008, 12:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am totally intrigued by the orange juice/bread etc thing.

It simply wouldn't occur to me that alcohol in these forms would be a problem!!

Maybe I'm just a bit naive?

sas
Old 09-09-2008, 12:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by sadmummy View Post
I am totally intrigued by the orange juice/bread etc thing.

It simply wouldn't occur to me that alcohol in these forms would be a problem!!

Maybe I'm just a bit naive?

sas
You might want to read post 23 of this thread as it explains why the OJ and bread arguement does not hold water. It is not the same type of alcohol as the alcohol we drink.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

dopey slogan time again on SR...

" you dont go into a Whorehouse to hear the Piano Player"

or do you?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

depends on the piano player Zip

LOL
D
Old 09-09-2008, 06:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
You might want to read post 23 of this thread as it explains why the OJ and bread arguement does not hold water. It is not the same type of alcohol as the alcohol we drink.
So, what type of alcohol is it that occurs naturally in fruit juice?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that any kind of fruit juice can naturally ferment...

Now, maybe the pasteurized stuff you get in the grocery store wouldn't have any of the yeast necessary to cause fermentation to begin...

I'm not an expert on anything in life...

I'm not trying to start an argument...

Just thinking out loud here and looking for some info out of curiosity...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Here are a couple of websites that site an Indiana University study that found the alcohol content of orange juice to be between .2% - .5%:

NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER

Illinois Legal Aid | Can Minors Buy and Drink Non-Alcoholic Beer?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

All this talk about NA beer got me wondering so i went a bought a 6 pack of Becks NA beer (0.05%) as i couldn't honestly remember if it was as bad as i remembered.

Its ok doesn't taste as bad as i remember but it does seems a bit pointless.
A bit like stroking a dog with a glove on....

I'm gonna go back and drink my ginger beer i think!

I certainly won't be resetting my sobriety date though. 2 x 0.05% beers doesn't mean anything to me.

I understand its a personal choice about NA beers i'm just giving my opinion.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Slight update...

After having the NA beers a few hours ago i've started to feel really guilty.

Hmmm cravings, mood swings, and now guilt from 2 bleedin Non Alcoholic beers..... Awesome
Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

OMG...na beers are just that na beers...nothing to feel guilty about!

Orange juice is just orange juice...if one thinks it is a relapse one is crazy...lol

Seems to me that many people here at SR have taken sobriety to a level that is unobtainable.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yeah you are right and to be honest the guilt has kinda gone now. I just had a little pang when i walked back into the room and saw a half drunk beer bottle.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Wibble, I've got a becks n/a in the fridge!! And I had one last night!!!!!

Feel the same as you though - I'd rather drink some ice cold sainsbury's lemon and lime water.

sas
Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Sorry! Not trying to hijack this thread! Please forgive me!

Hey, DK ...I looked at the sites but couldn't find any links to the specific study of which you speak. I would like to know if they looked at pasteurized OJ, fresh squeezed, or both. I've tried searching for this on Google and have come up with nothing. Whatever the answer, it's not going to stop me from drinking OJ. I'm seriously curious and if anyone here has a direct link to the study, please post it. I know it's not important, but for some reason my brain wants more answers.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Yeah, I couldn't find the original study either, and I'm interested as well, just for the info. I'm not worried about drinking orange juice or NA beer.