Notices

what to do with my time

Old 09-07-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy what to do with my time

I'M 30 days clean and don't really feel like drinking.I never was able to connect with anyone at AA meetings before.for all the welcoming people talk about I never seen.It seemed to me to be a lot of holier than thous there too me.I am unemployed and nothing looks like its gonna change there.All my friends were drug users and I burned all bridges there.No loss in my opinion.
Stuck at my moms house which really blows.Girls I knew were users to so their gone too.Help through state agencys is SLOW.If anyone got advice on AA meetings or anything Iwould like it.Its so boring sitting at home everyday I am thinking about staying at a homeless shelter till I get on my feet.I know the pitfalls of that too.If people know your not a junkie you will become a target for them.Looking for any advice.Can anyone relate to this?
Old 09-07-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I can relate.. I don't relate well to most things AA related. Almost always people here:

LifeRing Chat Room Page

Do you like to sing at all? Another member here turned me on to this:

SingSnap | SingSnap - What is life without a song

If you get into SR, it can take up a good chunk of time as well.

And welcome, Glenn!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! I am doing more with my dogs than I used to do when I was drinking or hungover. They love the extra walks and attention. And the exercise and fresh air and sunshine are good for me too.

Whatever time you used to fill using/drinking, substitute something positive. Do it often enough and it will become a habit.

I really like coming here and reading the struggles and triumphs. I get something new from the good and the bad. The good reminds me of where I want to be, and the bad reminds me of where I don't want to end up. I learn from everyone here.

:ghug
Old 09-07-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Firstly, congratulations on 30 days that is awsome (Im on my first straight week in years). Get out & go for some walks, do you have any hobbbies or other activites that you used to do but gave up because you were using? My guitar, this site (computer) & my xbox 360 (playing call of duty 4 live with friends.. its sweet!) have been helping me a lot.

Outside of that reading books (self help & motivational are good right now). It might be good if you can get to work right now, even if it isnt your regular line of work (part time) just to keep you active. Check out some of the volenteer sites to see if there are any groups looking for your help (you will be helping others, keeping busy & feel great about it)

All of the best in your continued recovery ;-)
Old 09-07-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have playstation 2.I play 4 or 5 hrs. a day.Ace combat series is my favorite.I got games I have'nt played yet.I've had it for 2 years now.Back in the dope days I sold 3 of them.Now I would'nt consider it.Walking the dog is a good idea.The little fatso needs it. I read 2 or 3 books a week.I'm gonna try AA again this week.Theres 2 meetings close to me.One is where I might know someone.I like SR too.I've been a loner most of my life.Maybe thats why I don't feel comfortable with all the touchy feely at meetings.
I know I need social contact just not the kind I'm used too.Thanks for the ideas.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Welcome
Old 09-07-2008, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

Get a job...not necessarily a career
just a job to give you structure in your life.

You could also look around for ways to do
volunteer work in your community.
The animal shelter? A Senior Center?
A Boys & Girls Club? A health clinic or hospital?

Well done on your sober time...
Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats Glenn, and isn't it amazing how much time we have when we are not indulging. Reading is good, I am just about to order a tonne of books I have been wanting to read, and really get stuck into playing my guitar. Do you play music, maybe thats something you could look into. Best wishes to you.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not working does kind of take out all structure from your life. I'm not working at the moment and it's almost doing my head in.
I find doing stuff like cleaning and making meals and things help regain sanity.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Must admit I am going fairly bonkers not working - the house is spotless from 9 till 4 when the kids get back though!! I too am reading like a crazy thing and am looking into joining a drama group - if I can pluck up the courage. drama was something I was always into so I think that would be a good thing.

Another thing I've done is trawl the internet and got myself free trial days at all the local gyms! Don't have to pay but start to get fit!!

sas
Old 09-08-2008, 06:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome Glenn! Glad that you found us-Congrats on your sober time!

I like the suggestions from Carol above-Getting a job and or community service will
give yourself a more structured life-and more routine-Keeping ourselves in a routine
helps us move forward a lot easier with our lives!

Keep posting here and check out our other forums-There are stickies at the top
of the forums that are filled with a wealth of information-And SR is loaded with a lot
of support! Good Luck Glenn
Old 09-08-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you can't get work, have you thought about doing some volunteer work? Not only will it feel AMAZING, but it looks really good on a resume! There are always volunteer organizations in every city and I'm sure they'd be so grateful for any help you could give...even just a few hours a week.

I, too, don't connect with people in the AA in my city...but I do connect with the people on this site. I spend HOURS a day here and really feel it's been instrumental in my recovery.

Good luck to you and keep posting!