Notices

where to start and how to keep it up?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

where to start and how to keep it up?

So, I am a 42years male, my belly betrays me into letting everyone know i must be a heavy drinker, which is true.

I am not:
aggresive
neglectful
uncaring
unloving
hurting anyone
loosing my temper

i am:
enjoying drinking and smoking
gentle
friendly
social
a good father

ok my reasons for wanting to quit or control it are simple, i dont have many of the bad habits that many alcoholics have, but am getting tired of my size, my belly, my physical condition and also worried about life.

My drinking habits are:
never ever drink before 8 pm (so after work)
love to drink whiskey, vodka with mixers and i drink them strong, i.e. fill glass with ice, fill 1/2 with whiskey, then fill up with mixer.
I drink about 1/2 a bottle of spirits every night.......sometimes less for no reason, and when we have parties, i can end up drinking a whole bottle but that doesnt happen more then once a month.

now my question, where do i start with controlling this? i wouldnt mind if i'd drink lets say once or twice a week, but i do it every night years in a row now.........and my weight shows it i am 117 kilo's now!

ok lets blast off, ideas ideas ideas......

oh forgot to say ill also attempt to totally quit smoking.

Cheers
Old 09-07-2008, 02:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hi and welcome to SR
Old 09-07-2008, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks
Old 09-07-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
things as it is

I wrote this in another thread.

What if you were asked to give up string beans? Would you be able to give a report on how much string beans you eat, when you eat them and how much you like them? (You can substitute any ingestible item you like, you will get the point.)

You alone will have to determine if you have a problem with drinking. And you will find great information and support on this forum if you choose to stop drinking. But all evidence shows that it is impossible to go from alcoholic drinking (again, for you to determine) back to safe or controlled drinking.

We have a famous and accurate saying in recovery, "Once a pickle, never a cucumber."

May you find your answers quickly.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no ability to control my drinking, though I tried for a very long time, determined to be able to do that.

Sorry, I have no advice.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time!

First, you have to decide for yourself if you are an alcoholic and have no control over your own drinking. I have all your "good" qualities as a drunk. I'm the nicest, happiest person around. I'm a single mother, and my children are the most well behaved, caring, and respectful kids around. But I can't stop drinking on my own. If I go a day without drinking, I feel like crap, until I make that beer run. Then I feel like "myself."

I am now 5 days sober. I still don't feel like "myself" but I'm trying to figure out how to without the booze. It's not easy, and I take it one day at a time. I go to AA as often as I can, and when I can't I come in here to vent, and read other's stories. I've learned that I can't tell you how to do it, no one can, we can only share our experiences and give support.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wantitdone View Post
now my question, where do i start with controlling this? i
Cheers
The good news is you are a few years away from being a low bottom drunk.

The bad news is you are ONLY a few years away from being a low bottom drunk.

I hate to say it but you are on the slippery slope to alcoholism and there is no backing up. Controlling it is a futile effort in the long run. If you want to experiment with "control", then I suggest that you define your "bottom" now while there is still hope.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

exercise to lose weight.start slow what you can do.If you drink everyday make sure you do it before the 1st drink or you won't do it.exercising buzzed ain;t a good Idea.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have no suggestions either. I am one of the many many people who have tried over and over to control my drinking. I have switched from hard alcohol to wine/beer. I have tried only drinking after 8 PM. I have tried only drinking on Friday and Sat. nights. I tried watering down my drinks and only buying pints or half pints only to run out just for night to buy another. It was misreable. I would rather quit than try to control my drinking. For me - two drinks is a terrible tease and leaves me wanting more. I just always seem to need just one more drink to get me "there." Just typing this makes me feel really emotioinal and thankful to be free from such a painful way of living.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

If drinking is not causing a problem other than your weight. Shouldnt be too hard.
Diet your alcohol like someone would food.
Thats all I got.
Welcome.