Notices

Advice Needed from group

Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Advice Needed from group

I am very new into recovery from alcohol addiction. I have only 2 days sober after I detoxed at home. I am experiencing a lot of feelings right now, but the strongest is the craving for alcohol. I am attending AA and seeing a team of doctors and therapist, which is a great help. But I do not see them again for a few days and the next meeting seems to be so far away right now, although it is tomorrow. If anyone has any advice on how to stay strong so early in recovery and how to quiet these cravings, I would appreciate it.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Polk and welcoem to SR

If you have members phone numbers, then phone them regardless of the time, read some recovery literature, post and read here and take it easy, we got sick one day @ a time and we get well one day at a time.

Before I started to make any progress i had to get a sponsor and work the steps, for me thats a process that continues.

Kevin
Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sometimes a little something sweet will help stop the craving...your body is use to alot of sugar. Also...I discovered for myself that cravings don't last to long so if you watch the actual hard part only lasts a few minites (at least for me).

there are also sticky threads at the top of the section on what to expect. someone else would show you the way to those threads if you can't find them.

Posting and reading here will help you get through as well.

I'm glad you are here!:ghug3
Old 09-05-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ome-faq-s.html
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 09-05-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

No advice here sorry.
But glad you are here and nice to meet you.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

.....Welcome!
Congratulations on beginning your new healthy sober life.

Good to know you are being wise with professional help.
Don't hesitate to call one of them if you get worried.

The more water you drink...the quicker the alcohol
will be flushed out. Try hard candy for cravings
It also helps if you are experiencing the shakes.

Keep posting...Yes! you too can recover!
Old 09-06-2008, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I found rubbing an ice cube on the back of my neck helped stop cravings.
If nothing else remember they won't last forever take a deep breath and tell them to bugger off
Old 09-06-2008, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I still get cravings at nearly 8 wks sober, but they're not as intense as they were at first. I'm finding the longer I'm sober, the fewer cravings I get. I actually argue with myself when I get a craving. I remind myself where I used to be and where I want to be, and I can't get there if I drink.

Stay strong and remember that the cravings will be fewer and less strong the longer you stay sober. Don't let alcohol fool you into thinking you can have just one or two drinks. Demon Alcohol is a lying conniving beast and not to be trusted. Also remind yourself that if you don't drink, you'll never have to go thru the hell of detox again.

:ghug3

Congratulations on your sober days! Keep adding to them one sober day at a time!
Old 09-06-2008, 05:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there I'm 21 days in now - wow!! What helped for me, although I didn't actually realise it was helping was, as people have said, sweet stuff! Mainly hot chocolate and pancakes to be honest. I don't really know why but they seem to work. Also, ice cold flavoured water - lime and lemon is my particular fave.

Good luck!

sas
Old 09-06-2008, 05:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep your hands busy and the mind will follow.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a new kid too so sorry, I haven't any valuable advice either. Just that this place is a great help, especially in that you are definately not alone.

Good luck and hang in there.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time!

I'm working hard on day 4. The cravings are driving me nuts, and I can't get to a meeting until Monday at noon. The thought crossed my mind a minute ago, Gee, can't we just have a reg meeting at my house on the weekends?! LOL! But we can't. So that's why I'm in here.

When booze come to mind, I start shaking, my heart races, my head hurts, I get nausous, and break out in a sweat. But, it does go away afterwhile. I just have to make it through that moment without hopping into my van and heading to the beer store! So far, I've done it. 5 minutes at a time, I'm doing it.

Sticking around in here and reading and typing is helping. In a little bit, I've got yard work to keep me busy. That's the name of the game right now, keep busy.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The only advice i can give is through my limited experience...

I'm finding that the cravings come in waves and the only way i'm getting through them is just deep breathing and a healthy smattering of sweet stuff... i'm gonna end up with a serious sweet tooth ;-)
Old 09-06-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep posting & join us in the September club thread. Looks like you have created a great support group around you... great job.

Post up a storm here if you feel cravings, people will respond. Just dont take that first sip. You CAN do this.

:ghug2