Notices

my day to quit

Old 09-05-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my day to quit

I have been drinking worse the last few days than what I use to do; I have poured out a lot of booze and tried the cutting back on how much; but the last 5 days have been bad. Today I am staying home from work and going to rest a lot and drink plenty of water. Tomorrow morning I am going to a meeting and hopefully will have the courage to speak up when the question is asked "any one in there first 30 days"; I know this is the next step I must/need to take. And have figured out a meeting for sunday just have to get directions.

A few days ago I found a prayer on an old floppy disk, I printed it out on a small piece of paper and keep it handy; being of cherokee heritage this prayer works for me and want to share it.

An Indian Prayer
O Great Spirit whose voice I hear in the winds, And whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me! I am small and weak, I need your strength and wisdom. Let me walk in Beauty, and make my eyes ever behold the red purple sunset. Make my hands respect the things you have made and my ears sharp to hear your voice. Make me wise so that I may understand the thing You have taught my people. Let me learn the lessons You have hidden in every leaf and rock. I seek strength not to be greater than my borther, but to fight my greatest enemy, myself. Make me always ready to come to You with clean hands and straight eyes, So when life fades, as the fading sunset, my spirit may come to you without shame.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pattyspaw - Today is a PERFECT day to quit drinking.

Keep posting so we can offer you support
Old 09-05-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do it Patty and thank you so much for those beautiful prayers! I look forward to hearing more from you. If you have a desire to drink at any point today come onto SR and post. You will get a lot of help.

Have you talked with a doctor about detoxing? Are you alone? It could be dangerous to detox alone. Be careful and be safe. I am sure you will get more responses as the day goes on.

Good luck to you!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

awesome prayer
Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, we want to hear from you and support you in sobriety. Thank you for sharing the beautiful poem/prayer. Welcome.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you

I am feeling a little scared; I am alone right now (except for the cats) but I won't be tonight; I usually feel bad in the morning after drinking, then by 4-5 in the afternoon I feel okay; so I'm resting and drinking a lot of water, I had a cup of noodles and watched a movie; got a few personal things done; just need to keep on track; the last time I had 3 days in a row (in June) I had some sweating and was cranky, I'm hoping that's all I get this time around; I'm going to try to take it easy on me; I'm starting to realize a lot of my triggers and I have some good books on spiritually to read. Thank you everyone for your support, I want to live sober. The things I hear/read from those who found soberity are truely motivating me to want to fight this disease.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

I've had to replace my prayer-in-my-pocket a few times already because the writing and paper were getting worn out from constantly being shuffled around. It's a gorgeous prayer, use it until it's pulpy mush!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pattyspaw,

I'm glad you have decided to live a sober life. You will find lots of support and information here, so keep reading and posting. Books on spirituality helped me so much in the early days of sobriety to focus on what I wanted. Have you read Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth"? It's basically about living in the 'now' moment, because that is really all we have.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing that lovely prayer with us.

If you get scared while de toxing this time
please don't hesitate to call 911 or go to an ER.

Prayers coming your way