Notices

Please help! Info on Peachford house in Atlanta

Old 09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please help! Info on Peachford house in Atlanta

I am REALLY considering going to Peachford for 6 months for drug and alcohol rehab. I live in Northern KY, am broke, and have lost almost everything I have. I really need a rehab for drug, alcohol, and mental problems but that's a big problem because of money of course. Peachford allows you to show up with no money, they give you a job, you live in an Apt. with 4-7 guys and just work and go to AA and NA meetings. They of course make money cuz you sign a paper saying you will pay them $155 a week from your job they find you to pay for there services. I'm 32 and have been through hell and back for too long but I want to make the right decision and go to a positive place.

Can anyone tell me any info on this place, have you been here before? I need to get away to rehab but I need to actually change my life and go to the right place. PLEASE help.........Thank you
Old 09-04-2008, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I have no personal experience on Peachford, but I have heard many good things about it.

Rehab is a good start, as long as you realize it is only a start. Rehab gives you the tools to use in changing your life, but it is up to us to actually USE those tools.

I never went to rehab, but I've heard you get OUT of it what you put INTO it.

Good for you for seeking help!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Havent heard anything about it. But your so young and this sounds like a great opportunity to get your life back and a fresh start. What do u have to loose at this point? Go for it!!! I will route you on!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck, Mike!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone, I'm doing as much research as I can about Peachford. A Gigantic change is gonna have to happen ASAP. I've just never even been in rehab or a halfway house and I'm scared because once I'm there I'm stuck almost 500 miles away from a soul I know. Which is fine as long as I get real help and have kind people to talk with..........
Old 09-04-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The Salvation Army has many types of free resources.
You might want to check them out too.

Peachford. is well thought of around here...I do live
near Atlanta and use AA for my recovery.

IMO it's not what a center offers
but how willing you are to hear and change.

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((Mike)) - think of it this way....you'll be 500 miles from home, not knowing a soul, but it will be easier to focus on recovery. Besides, you'll be surrounded by other people going through the same thing and it won't take long to meet new friends.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-04-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are right being so far away will be a good thing. I don't know if I want to go to Atlanta or Charlotte but both are far away. I haven't been clean for 6 months since 1994 so I forgot what it feels like. I am prescribed xanax because of extreme Anxiety which I am allowed to bring with me. I wish I didn't have to take those but it's a night and day difference so I must take them now. My problem is I never know when to stop harder drugs and alcohol and have lost tons of money over the years due to this and have severe depression. I'm actually doing very well concerning drugs right now but I know that's only cuz I'm broke, I have started drinking more than I ever have in my life and I'm not really a drinker.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Mike)))

You don't HAVE to go far away, but if that's what you think you need, by all means, go for it.

A lot of people will turn to alcohol when they stop using drugs, and it often just turns into another addiction. Recovery is learning how to live life without using something to numb us. Rehab will give you a chance to get clean, be around other recovering addicts, and learn how to deal with the feelings that will seem to overwhelm you at first.

Most of us have spent years trying to avoid reality, and it's hard facing it all when we get clean, but it is so worth it! I'm still facing all kinds of consequences from when I was using...career/legal/financial. But I'm proud of myself that I am facing them, even though it's a very slow process, and I'm not doing anything to cause MORE bad consequences down the road.

You don't really know what life has to offer you until you get clean and find the "real you". I do know that you deserve a life without the crap that goes with addiction.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement, I need to decide if I want to go to Atlanta or Charlotte but gotta go to one.........
Old 03-05-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety in technicolor

This is probably late, but I knwo St. Judes in Atlanta is VERY cheap and you work for your stay.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went there not willingly at first years ago I liked it but you dont get much more than a twelve step book as they say buy you could ask for Dr. Aleem who I see to this to who is fabuous and still works there.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hi Mike,
I live in Atlanta and several of the folks in my outpatient rehab group have been to peachford. I never heard anything bad about it and it seems to have made a difference in their addiction. Peachford is a very popular rehab center here in Atlanta. I wish I could tell you more but all I can say is I have not heard anything negative about and I was in outpatient rehab for 6 weeks for 3 days per week. The good thing is that Atlanta is a great place. The weather is still real nice this time of year. Lots of flowers!
Good luck.