Notices

No More Cravings!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Smile No More Cravings!

I feel compelled to share how I virtually eliminated cravings.
This was discovered by accident. It turns out that my plan to quit had been so accurately thought out that any chance of cravings was prevented.

During the addictive process, it is understand to be self abusive.
This is a habit practiced each day, for so long.
During the recovery process, the abuse must stop.
This should now be a time of genital pampering.

THE PLAN
My drinking time lasted 4 – 5 hours, every day.
Not drinking during this time left a void.
This void must be filled. You must understand, you do not crave alcohol.
If the void is not filled, you will simply crave what filled it.
I decided to fill the void with all the things I avoided during the drink:
Eating, outside, exercise, night-time activities, people, dating, DVD movies.

EATING; I never ate before I drank. Now I eat at the time I used to start drinking. Now I spend each day focusing on what meal I feel I desire. Like a new exciting obsession, I drive around the city looking for my next dining experience. Money is no concern because there are some amazing deals out there! This has become a major daily activity of mine that occupies my thoughts. Hey, you gotta eat!

OUTSIDE; I am so amazed at the outdoors. I can’t believe I have avoided it. I go to parks and spend hours. I’m attracted to water and spend so much time in its presence. I realize I’m spending time with myself, in a place that makes me happy. Nature is a cure for many anomalies.

EXERCISE; I always felt like a hypocrite while exercising, knowing I would do the opposite by drinking later. This was not good for my self esteem. Now I realize that any activity I do makes me stronger and will benefit me days and weeks down the road. I will buy a boomerang, a soccer ball, anything that is fun and gets my body to move. Now it is an advantage instead of risking a heart attack. I feel compelled to move. “the body was made to move” This is one of the “best kept secrets!”

NIGHT TIME ACTIVITIES; I love going out at night. Hey, I’m sober now, I can do that! Talk about a benefit! I have forgotten what a night drive was like. I now just take a drive at night with the windows down and my hair blowing in my face. The lights, the cool air, I’m in love with life again. I want to live forever. The movie theater, museums, public gatherings, an ice cream shop, night shopping. Eliminating these simple pleasures in life is the exact definition of self abuse. I have so much catching up to do and will love every minute of it!

DATING; I have lost count of how many dates I passed on because it would cut into my drinking. I feel so stupid now for doing that. I refuse no opportunity now to meet new people.
I never wanted to be alone but my drinking activities forced a very lonely world. Going out to dinner with a date is an awakening. All the new emotions are wonderful. This gives new meaning to “living”!

PEOPLE; I used to avoid people. Now I gravitate toward them, cherishing each second.

DVD MOVIES; I have compiled 100s of movies over the years. I decided to watch one movie each night. This has turned out to be a much needed cozy time for me, a chance to pamper myself beyond belief. I make it cool enough (with the AC and fans) to use a soft “security” blanket. I cuddle with myself in front of my LCD High Def TV and start a movie. I indulge in ice cream and snacks. I’m active now and losing weight so the snacks are not a negative activity. I figure I used to consume 3,000 calories each night while drinking. I know the elimination of beer is an automatic diet so I can now have what I love most.

I now cannot wait for each day. Although I forced myself into this new routine, I’m now having the time of my life. As it should be, each day is an adventure and I can’t wait to see what’s next!

I hope this helps someone, everyone.

Prayers
Old 09-04-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Thank you for this great share Hope!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WOW, good for you! Its like the skies have opened up!

I have been walking every morning, (I can get up without a hangover) and it is the best way to start out the day!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by HopeTo180 View Post

Don't know if you meant to write that but it sounds good to me!!!!

J/K!!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ha......LMAO
Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sounds like you are doing well, how long have you stayed sober doing this?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Eclipse, the skies have opened up! I love walking! I look for new landscaping ideas from the neighbors.

SlvrMag, Thanks! I'm still laughing about that one. I didn't have time to proof read it. The phone rang and I just hit the send button. By the time I got back to it, the edit button had disappeared. Nice catch! Maybe subconsciously, there's something to it!

Boston, LMAO! Whatever it takes! Stay happy luv.

Taz, I'm on my 17th day and have no desire for alcohol. I don't like the taste or how it makes me feel. Just like hundreds of thousands of people, I don't drink. No labels. No disease. No limits.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

17 days, cool keep up the good work.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Talking

Eclipse, the skies have opened up! I love walking! I look for new landscaping ideas from the neighbors.

SlvrMag, Thanks! I'm still laughing about that one. I didn't have time to proof read it. The phone rang and I just hit the send button. By the time I got back to it, the edit button had disappeared. Nice catch! Maybe subconsciously, there's something to it!

Boston, LMAO! Whatever it takes! Stay happy luv.

Taz, I'm on my 17th day and have no desire for alcohol. I don't like the taste or how it makes me feel. Just like hundreds of thousands of people, I don't drink. No labels. No disease. No limits.
I actually only meant to quote the 2nd paragraph. Still learning the ropes around here. Anyway, I caught that too. Hilarious.

I am a realtor where I live and do a lot of prospecting online. I sent an email to a prospect/complete stranger who inquired online about real estate here. I MEANT to say "Looking for a home here?" but instead, In the subject line it said "Looking for a hoe here". I don't think I turned that one into a client!! At least not the kind of client I want. LOL.

Thanks for sharing. I am on day 3 and already feel such a wonderful sense of myself and all that is around me. I love that I remember what show I watched last night on TV and the conversation I had with my husband.
Life is good.:bounce
Old 09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh this is a funny thread! Been snickering all day about the "genital pampering" HAHAHA...amazing those new fangled recovery tools!

I like the real estate one also suz10- good thing you weren't reported to the RE commission!

Thanks for the laughs!

PS I really like the suggestions in the opening post- really excellent! I wonder if this will become a "sticky" even with the X-rated pampering tip??? I hope so.

Last edited by Snickers008; 09-04-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 09-04-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Sweet! Love typos!

Sounds good Hope...Keep up the good work.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Originally Posted by suz10 View Post
MEANT to say "Looking for a home here?" but instead, In the subject line it said "Looking for a hoe here".

Thanks for sharing. I am on day 3 and already feel such a wonderful sense of myself and all that is around me. I love that I remember what show I watched last night on TV and the conversation I had with my husband.
Life is good.:bounce
Suz10,
If you quote all of the text, just go back and highlight/delete what you don't need (between both [QUOTE]) That's a funny story. Sometimes typos make the world go 'round. I am so happy that you've found your way back. Hang in there because in another 10 days you'll feel on top of the world! Prayers
Old 09-04-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your post is so inspirational to me, thank you so much for sharing!

I am currently on Day 4 and I admire your 17 days, I hope I can do it too!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Originally Posted by audrakay1969 View Post
Your post is so inspirational to me, thank you so much for sharing!

I am currently on Day 4 and I admire your 17 days, I hope I can do it too!
audrakay,
I wondered the same thing myself. Take each positive moment, exaggerate it, wallow in it, savor it, accept it and you will have all the motivation you need!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Ahhh.. finally something I'm an expert at!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I LOVE the typo!! Ain't life great that I can laugh at things again! I like your philosophy. I too am enjoying things I hadn't done, or been able to do, in the last 18 months and it feels great.

Thanks for the inspirational and so positive post!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are making progress Hope