Notices

Oh embarrassment. I hate you.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh embarrassment. I hate you.

I just had an experience that will probably repeat itself from time to time now that I'm back in my old stomping grounds. I bumped into a friend of a friend and he immediately remembered my name. This surprised me until I dimly recalled that one night when I was very very drunk, I got into a long conversation with this person in which I must have came across as an @sshole/idiot. I just have flashes of being stupid in front of this person. I don't know how to handle these run-ins. Do I say something about how I was pretty intoxicated last time we spoke? Or pretend like it never happened?

On the bright side, if I keep this sobriety thing up (as is my plan), if I say something stupid to someone, I will remember what it was I said!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Personally, I would just let the past go...for the time being. Unless they bring it up and ask..I wouldn't worry about it>especially if you can't remember what actually happened>I've got plenty of those stories myself. Later on --should you think you owe this person an amend--I would discuss it with your sponsor first at the appropriate time.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

The past is past. I know embarrassment sucks but it won't kill you. I'd try and put it behind me if I were you. Chances are the other person/ people know you were intoxicated already anyway. If you end up having a friendship with the person, perhaps then address it but I don't really see why it matters at this point. JMO
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Been there a few times.

Think you have to put it in perspective.

You say you spoke to them one night, I presume that they were probably drinking as well and possibly don't remember you being as drunk as you think you were.

I worried all the time about what people thought of me ( still do ) but as you've been sober the 2nd time you've met them I would have thought they'll think that night was a one off if they thought anything at all.

They may even think that you just don't normally drink and that you seemed worse that night as your'e not used to it.
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

SS, I was 3 years sober and had to go to the Van Nuys police station for a friend.

The desk Sgt looked at me and said "I know you." OMG, well it turned out that he was one of the 6 metro cops that it took 3 1/2 years prior to get me arrested and into the Hollywood police station. Needless to say, this many was very very happy to find out I was 3 years sober and congratulated me. Also suggested I stay that way, lol

I have to explain that back then Los Angeles had a division called the Metro Division, they drove brown cars and an officer had to be a minimum of 6'2" tall as one of the qualifications. That particular incident I did damage to 4 of them. Yes I was a violent, nasty drunk.

In early sobriety, I found that instead of being embarassed, it was easier to be grateful that I was no longer 'that way.'

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Sorry, had another thought along similar lines.

I've been sober nearly 4 months now, prior to that I'd pretty much drink as soon as I got home from work and at weekends straight through.

Now I used to worry all the time that neighbours would notice when I was chatting to them that I was 3 sheets to the wind at 2.00 on a saturday afternoon, at no point has anybody said anything to me that I'm any different now I'm sober.

This has led me to think that either folk are to polite to say anything or as I think is more likely that I was very good at hiding my drink problem.

Think we worry about what people think about us too much, how much to we judge other people, I know I hardly do at all
Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm..
I pretended it never happened because

!. the other guy was probably blitzed too..my friends tended to be.
2. they probably remembered me fondly ..why not?
3. only a social clod would bring it up...and that's not my style.

He most likely remembered your name because you are
attractive...charming and a strong woman.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Carol, you win the prize for the sweetest response! lol

But thanks everybody for the perspective check I'll just take the embarrassment and use it as a motivator.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hey you never know..The person may be thinking the same thing about themselves.

Let it be..
Old 09-03-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
let it grow!

actions speak louder than words. stay sober, and keep doing the right thing. the rewards will come, and you can hold your head up high. hugs, k
Old 09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

say it was your twin!

then step 10 it!

hey, its progress right!