SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of September 2008 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/156882-class-september-2008-a.html)

Pixy1 09-01-2008 04:00 AM

Class of September 2008

Day 1

Lets do this together :ghug

wibble 09-01-2008 05:06 AM

I'm in... September 1st is Day 1 for me as well :)

Pixy1 09-01-2008 09:11 AM

Wibble we cant be the only ones on day one, can we??

flgirl 09-01-2008 09:47 AM

Pixy,

Just be kind to yourself, please!

lostbutterfly 09-01-2008 10:07 AM

September 1st is my 2nd day. I would love to know what other people do when they get cravings. Practical things! I can manage the physical withdrawals (from codeine) but the mental side is so hard. Reality is unrelenting!! Physically I start to feel better eventually, but mentally I am always hanging on by my fingernails and that is what always gets me started again.

AT01 09-01-2008 10:17 AM

Hi all,
it's day one for me too. I quit for about 6 months a few years ago but then started back. Just talked to my brother this morning who hasn't drank in over a year and he was excited for me. #@$! alchohol.

wibble 09-01-2008 12:06 PM

Well how did everyone find it who was on day 1 today?
I was doing really well until my final meeting of the day when an old friend of mine was there and must have asked me to go for a drink with him 40 times.... it feels hard to be firm and say no but i know i have to. I already feel like a social outcast....But i know i've got to stick with this

lostbutterfly 09-01-2008 02:09 PM

I had a horrible day!!! I'm used to having a codeine pillow to get me through work and then take some more with a bottle of wine in the evening. But at least I didn't have to worry about where I was getting the next lot from!!
I do feel sorry for the people I work with though. I think I have been a nightmare today!

Pixy1 09-01-2008 03:07 PM

Hey all,

I was doing really well untill my partner bought the wrong bacon!! lol yes I know how silly it sounds now but a couple of hours ago it was a big deal. :a043:

I didnt drink though and nor did I want to.

Wibble, well done! we can all be social outcasts together :ghug

Coming to the end of day1 cant wait to wake up with no hangover :Dance7:

Master G 09-01-2008 03:32 PM

I'm on Day 1 with you all! I made it through my first week last week but started to have anxiety/panic attacks & well... September 1 is a great day to start.

I need to make an appointment with my doc to get something for the anxiety & the other things we go through while trying to quit (insomnia etc.)

Lets do this together :Dance7:

Pixy1 09-01-2008 03:37 PM

Welcome Master G :ghug3

CarolD 09-01-2008 05:26 PM

Hi Everyone...:wave:
I'm a recovered alcoholic and it's great to see y'all

LostButterfly...this may or may not be useful to you
as my expierence is only with alcohol
However.. from my personal files

In early sobriety....
I timed my cravings.

They were 5-7 minutes in duration.
Not too long too endure discomfort
Soooo....I took action.
Walked...rushed my teeth... Drank cold water...Hard candy

Within 2 weeks...the lessened in both time and intensity.
By 2 or so months .... they vanished.

Now...were they mental or physical?
Darn if I know. Nor do I care.
Welcome to the September Class of winners!
:ghug

rob312 09-01-2008 05:44 PM

Hello, this is my first post at this site; I just joined. I haven't had a drink in two weeks; when I got arrested for DWI (first offence). I am still a bit shellshocked, but my cravings are usually there at times when I would normally start drinking - after work and early evenings. Not so much at other times. Starting to go away though.

CarolD 09-01-2008 05:49 PM

Hi Rob ...Welcome to SR!
:wave:

CarolD 09-01-2008 05:50 PM

AT01...:wave:
Welcome to our community!

Jho65 09-01-2008 07:35 PM

Day 1 here too. This is the worst time for me, early evening, after work. At least I didn't stop at the pub on my way home, first victory, now I just need to get through the evening alone time. Fingers crossed

wibble 09-02-2008 12:52 AM

Good Morning Day 2 and no hangover...

How's everyone feeling?

Master G 09-02-2008 02:41 AM

Feeling good... I just wish I could get to sleep. I'm sure I will get in a couple of good hours before work.

Have a great day!

Pixy1 09-02-2008 02:59 AM

Day 2 feeling so much better than I did this time yesterday :Dance7:

It's so good to have such support :ghug

I really need to put this laptop down or I'm going to be sooooo late for work. That wouldn't be a good start to sobriety would it lol.

Catch you all later.....

lostbutterfly 09-02-2008 03:31 AM

This is turning out to be a hard day. I have decided to always come here first and read a while before giving in to the Addict Voice!! It is very loud today!!

But it helps so much to know there are others like me! Thanks for the advice CarolID. I drink too much as well, but I am tackling the codeine first! I was going to dash off and get some, but now I think I will wait it out.

Thanks for being here. I might make another day yet!