SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   This aint't gonna be easy (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/156685-aintt-gonna-easy.html)

jbo 08-29-2008 05:28 AM

This aint't gonna be easy

First of all I can not believe the amount of support and warm welcomes I have seen here. After reading some of these threads not only am I hooked but want to be part of of it myself. As I read on I see soooooooo many people just like myself that want to make the change and get back to living a normal life.
I'm a first timer at getting help, have been researching everything I can about quiting and thats how I found this site.
I've tried to quit a few times and keep ending up in the same place.(from what I've read you all have been there too.) I'm looking to make the most of my life and am now ready to have another go at it.
I lack all self control when it comes to drinking 2-3-4 beers soon become 10-12. It's almost every day and I don't know why I do it. My work has kept me on the road for the better part of 3 years. (This is where the drinking gets out of control.) now I am on my way home and ready to put my life back together. My wife stands behind me 100% and is willing to do anything she can for me and us. I see here that the whole gang understands what I'm going threw and has walked down this road be for. I have my goal set and am on my way.

I asked my wife to get rid all the alcohol in the house be for I get home in the morning. (she started crying) This ain't gonna be easy.
thanks for listening.
Jbo

Rella927 08-29-2008 05:53 AM

Welcome JBO! Glad that you found us and decided to join!

There is a lot of support here :hug:
When we approach recovery we need to do it for ourselves and having
someone support us like your wife is wonderful. We are the ones that need
to do the work to get to where we want to be in our lives. Great start
for you!

Please check out our Alcoholism Forum too and read some of the stickies at the
top they are filled with a wealth of information! SR is filled with a lot of people
with Experience, Strength & Hope.

Others will be along to give you some more support-Best wishes! Keep posting

Anna 08-29-2008 05:58 AM

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

Getting rid of the alcohol in your house is a good idea. I still never keep or serve alcohol in our house. It works for me.

I hope you keep reading and posting.

dancinggirl 08-29-2008 06:10 AM

jbo...first of all, WELCOME!!! So glad you're here! Now, more importantly, fantastic job that you realize that there might be a problem with your drinking, are being open about it with you wife AND are taking steps to correct it!!! You don't realize how many hurdles you have already over-come! A lot of people coming on here still aren't ready to even admit that they should be stopping. :)

Post often, reach out often, you will never find this place empty. :)

Bamboozle 08-29-2008 06:31 AM

Welcome to SR! Keep posting.

HopeTo180 08-29-2008 06:40 AM

Wow jbo!
Welcome! You sound so determined. You've got a support group. You realize this will take some effort. You have all your ducks in a row! These things spell success!

I too was drinking a 12 pack, each and every night. I planned my entire day around my drinking. I had not been out at night for years. This is now a time that I thoroughly enjoy. There's not much I can add to your plans. I can however give you a heads up. You will have to make changes in people and routine. You will be amazed at how your routine is related to drinking. Catch yourself when you see this. Make the change right then and there. You will have to exaggerate your redirection to make it stick. Realize that you will be subject to vulnerability and influence. See these coming at you and make a turn from them. Be completely aware. This will improve with each day as clarity increases. Remember to love yourself through this process. Reward yourself often. Treat yourself to all that you've been deprived. Enjoy this process for it gives new meaning to freedom! Good luck and keep us posted!

TryingSoHard 08-29-2008 06:59 AM

Welcome, and good luck! You're already in a better place than I am, as I've not had the courage to confront my spouse about my problem yet. I look forward to the day when I can have his support instead of having to spend the time and energy hiding all of this from him.

Happy weekend. :)

bostonluv 08-29-2008 08:50 AM

JBO, Welcome. You have a willing attitude that will greatly help you suceed. I also comend you for already set up a support system at home and on-line. I look forwarding to reading your posts as you go through this process of change. Congratulations on making a decision. That's really the most important of all, isn't it? :)

nandm 08-29-2008 09:21 AM

Welcome to SR!

dave47 08-29-2008 09:24 AM

Welcome Jbo, great support here for you-best wishes.

least 08-29-2008 11:34 AM

There's a 'sticky' at the top of the Alcoholism forum titled "quitting, what to expect, what we did" which has a lot of useful info on stopping drinking and how the first week or so may go. Do be safe while detoxing. Consulting your doctor would be a good idea, as well as having someone around you the first few days in case you need medical help.

Be safe and be strong! You can do this!!

:ghug3

kj3880 08-29-2008 11:41 AM

Hey Jbo, welcome and keep coming back!
I know I'm sounding like a thumper, but here I go again:
Try an AA meeting! You won't believe how much face to face support can start you on your way. A room full of people like us that can show you how to do this and be happy too.
KJ

Aysha 08-29-2008 11:43 AM

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...l1/welcome.gif

jbo 08-29-2008 01:49 PM

thanks all

Thanks all

I am now in my 1st hour I have set my goal on just making home. Thats my reward for today Well tomorrow anyway.

CarolD 08-29-2008 04:20 PM

To reach my goal of solid sobriety ...I used God and AA. ...
still do for the joy of recovery.

Blessings to you and your wife
:wave: ...Welcome to SR!

nogard 08-29-2008 06:05 PM

Welcome to SR and congrats :)

Rusty Zipper 08-29-2008 06:15 PM

jbo

This ain't gonna be easy.
it is doble tho!!!

welcome to recovery!

Spiritual Seeker 08-30-2008 12:51 AM

"This ain't gonna be easy."
The only place where *success* comes before *work* is in the dictionary.

Get yourself in AA, get a sponsor. It works when you work it.

Wishing you all the best.

mikel60 08-30-2008 03:18 AM

Hey jbo,

Keep up the positive attitude and you'll be fine. I echo the sentiments of others in terms of AA. There's lots of great meetings around Boston. If you go another route, please keep posting because there is a lot of support here. Whatever you choose as your path, quitting drinking is the best decision you have ever made. Well done and I hope you made it home okay.
Mike in Boston (Allston-Brighton)