Notices

Im sarah and im 24

Old 08-28-2008, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Alchie

Im sarah and im 24

Hi all, im writing this because i know i have a problem. It started off with panic attacks so i drank to eat and be normal, now i drink most days and i hate it. I just would like some advise from people on what to do next. Ive tried to stop drinking but i cant, i dont shake in a morning but ive got used to having a drink to stop the panic attacks and now im drinking a bottle of red wine at 9am and ill get more later. need help!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah welcome to SR. There is a lot of good info and support here. Have you talked to your doctor about the drinking and panic attacks? Quitting drinking on your own can be dangerous and you should talk to your doc first.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Hi Sarah.

Felly is right, you should see your doc about it - they can give you advice and help. I was the same as you, using drink for all the wrong reasons and ended up drinking in the mornings as well.

It seems scary I know. To cut out alcohol altogether when you have relied on it in the past - but since going to my doctor (for the first time in years) and coming to this forum I have found that my life has improved without drink.

Set yourself realistic targets and take it one day at a time. I found coming here a great help, especially in the beginning.

I wish I had the good sense at your age to do something about my drinking instead of leaving it until I did.

Good to see you here, and good luck. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Alchie

Thanks, ive made an appointment at my doctors tomorrow. Just need support as my family have no idea how to handle me.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sezegg View Post
Thanks, ive made an appointment at my doctors tomorrow. Just need support as my family have no idea how to handle me.
Cool. Be honest with your doc and they'll be able to help you.

Sorry to hear about your family. My family were starting to get fed up with me as well but I think when they realised how serious I was about quitting and saw the progress I was making not drinking, they began to ease up a little.

Don't think we'll ever be able to make non-alcoholics or non-problem drinkers fully understand what we do as drinkers, but they definitely seem to respond to serious attempts at quitting. Just takes a bit of time.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sezegg View Post
Well you've got support here and I'm glad you have an appt. with your doctor. Make sure you tell her/him the truth just like you told us here........I'm hoping that you will.

I feel for you, I know feeling like that is miserable. I suffered from panic attacks from when I was a small child and didn't know what they were. I self medicated a lot!!!!!! Good Luck!!!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah, I'm glad you found us. I have 76 days sober so far. I was in a similar situation. Since I quit, my attitude has been better, my friends all accept my choice, in fact they commend me on it, and most of all my family seems to have a new respect for me. It wasn't bad in the first place, but it is different now, different for the better. It's still hard, the temptations are there, but with the help of my SR friends it's been getting easier!

Hang in there we are here for you!

Heavy
Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah...glad to have you here! I found that while I was drinking, I had moments where I was suicidal, where I couldn't imagine being "normal", where I would feel utter despair..and also alcohol induce jubilation. Since I've stopped drinking I feel...normal! That's the only way to describe it. I found that a lot of what I felt while drinking wasn't real...it all evened out upon stopping.

Good for you for talking to your doctor! Be as honest as possible and I guarantee you will get better. Post here as often as you can and I promise you that there will always be someone here to talk with you. I'm on day 47, btw.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Hey Sarah,
Welcome. I've been there with the panic attacks. When I began to panic, my negative thoughts sped the downward spiral. Xanax is what my doctor prescribed for me. He told me that I have forgotten how to manage my emotions. Xanax will give you the "room" to relearn, he said. He also told me "the body was made to move" exercise is very important. Even if only a daily walk, move and keep moving. I carried that pill bottle every where I went. It took months but, finally, after not having to take any for two weeks. I braved the idea of getting rid of them. I flushed the remaining pills down the commode. I have not had a panic attack since and am now very in touch with my emotions.

Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking. Alcohol is a depressant and not good for your panic attacks (counter-productive). Because of your imbalance I know you will feel so much better so quickly. You are so right to stop the insanity. Good for you! Keep posting! Let us know how things are going! Prayers
Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

HI Sarah,

It takes great courage to share ones' struggling with others...Welcome to SR...

By all means speak to a doctor...There is help and you are not alone...

You have your whole life ahead of you...All you have to do is really want to change your ways with drinking, and seek help...Looks like you are on the right track..

Keep posting, we are glad you found us...
Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Sarah! Glad that you found us

A lot of wise people posted above me! Glad to see that you made
the Doctors appointment! Awesome first step

Keep posting and know that you are not alone in this! There
is a lot of support here at SR and we are here for you!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 08-28-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sarah, I'm glad you're here. You've come to a great place for support and advice. THere's a "sticky" at the top of the Alcoholism forum titled "Quitting, what to expect, what we did" and it has a lot of info on some of the things that go on when we stop drinking.

I drank wine to relax, to not feel anything, to be numb. I've been trying to quit for good since last December and it's only now that I've racked up 46 sober days! I'm glad you decided to quit while you're still young and haven't done years of damage to yourself.

Please come here often and post how you're doing and feeling. We're here to support you in your clean and sober life!

:ghug3
Old 08-28-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Sarah! Please let me know how it goes with your doctor.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, sarah. i have a daughter your age who also struggles with addiction issues. reach out here, and to the adults you trust. and please know that recovery is possible.

hugs, k
Old 08-29-2008, 01:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovering Alchie

Thankyou for all your support. I phoned AA yesterday and im going to a meeting on saturday. My doctors appointment is at 11 today. I will post back when ive been. Can they give you anything? its just that my addiction is so bad at the moment that im drinking wine in the mornings just so i can carry on. Its great to be here and to speak to people that are or have been through the things im going through. My family are happy that ive decided to seek help through AA and they knew i had a problem long before i did.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great news about the meeting on Saturday and glad you got your doc's appointment so quickly.

Yeah, the doctors can give you stuff - I got prescribed librium which was great as it took away all the symptoms of withdrawal which used to literally force me to drink in the mornings.

After about a week on those I was able to stop taking them, they really do make coming off the booze a bit more bearable.

Thanks for the update, keep posting.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are heading in the riht direction ..
Seeing your doctor is a wise move
and I find AA to be an awesome adventure.

....Welcome to our recovery community
Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hey Sarah welcome to SR and lovely to meet you
Old 09-08-2008, 02:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recovering Alchie

hi,

just thought i would post back. Ive been to the doctor today and im starting on librium (sp?) tomorrow, ive been to aa and im going next week as the doctor said on librium i might sleep alot and be a bit drunk looking. Ive already cut down on the booze, from 6 bottles of wine a day to 3 and im taking each day as it comes, but i cant wait to be sober again and be a normal person!. has anyone had any experience on the above tablet and can give me any tips?