Notices

My first big test

Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first big test

Football season starts tomorrow! I normally spend the day eating, drinking, smoking weed and cigarettes.

This season? No booze, no weed, no cigs... 2 weeks drug and drink free.

I love the NFL, but I've never watched 9 hours of football (3 games)....SOBER!

Has anyone else had a hard time coping during football season?
Old 09-06-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Football? No. But we all have times where we would normally drink and now must find alternatives. My favourite: buying new types of coffees to drink during the event. Also having on hand multiple types of candies/snackies to treat myself with instead of alcohol.

You will feel SOOOO good by being sober during football!!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Man! I can totally relate to what you're saying.

The football, ahem, soccer season has just started here too. The thing is, I don't have the TV channels at home which usually broadcast the game. Therefore, I usually go down to a local sports bar that has big screens to watch the game with my mates.

Ok, ok, ok... before anyone says, "well, you can use the money you save to get the channels at home", it's just not the same.

Yup, totally sucks.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gluttony is a huge part of my football routine... I've already gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks, so I don't think snacking even more will help. Coffee does work great though... the really dark coffee especially. Muddy and sweet.... mmmmmmmm!!

Tim, I have to stay home because that's where the party's happening, lol. Going to a bar wouldn't work for me. My friends know what I'm going through, but that won't stop them from drinking. I have forbade smoking in my house, so that'll help a little.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck Mithra. Maybe we can better spot the bad decisions the referees make ?

New season, new beginning perhaps?

BTW. wasn't trying to suggest going to the bar, just that's what I used to do (way too often). Just out of interest, who's yer team?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time!

Man, I know what you mean! Don't think I've watched the Cowboys play since I was a kid sober!! Not to sure how I'm gonna do it, but I will. Boy, you are on the triple threat! I'm going no booze, no weed, but the cigs, well, those are going to have to stay for a while.

I'm not big on sweets, so guess I'll have to stock up on chips and some summer sausage! Funny, all the beer I drank gave me an awful beer gut. Now that I'm quitting, I'm afraid I'm gonna end up with a chip gut! Ha!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The best thing about watching football sober?
I now remember who won and how!

I did stop hanging in bars to watch the games
it made me too antsy for a drink.

Welcome to SR!..
Old 09-06-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Well, my team lost today...abysmally...

It's stupid, but it made my bad day even worse! It's okay, though...I've written them off. I won't watch anymore college football. When my team loses, it can be a trigger...so I'm staying away.

Maybe one day I'll be able to watch sports like an adult. I threw a temper tantrum earlier. I'm better now. (Don't worry, I didn't drink)
Old 09-06-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Positively Master Thief

Not during football, hon, but times when I normally would, and can't anymore, y'know... what I do is sit there with my 2 packs a day habit (you quit smoking, too? Good for you. I chanelled my cross-addicted self into 2 packs a day and a 4litres of caffeine a day habit haha) and write stuff, or call people, catch up, go online for absurd hours, on here or music sites, listen to loads of great music, read loads of significant books, go out shopping (when the money comes, from somewhere), or just out walking with family, or friends, loved ones. But you actually wanna sit there and watch the game. Get some good, sober friends together. Laugh.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by timzup View Post
Good luck Mithra. Maybe we can better spot the bad decisions the referees make ?

New season, new beginning perhaps?

BTW. wasn't trying to suggest going to the bar, just that's what I used to do (way too often). Just out of interest, who's yer team?
Real football, not "futball", lol! NFL's Buffalo Bills.... known worldwide for losing 4 Superbowls in a row!!! Maybe that's why I used to drink?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Twin View Post
Man, I know what you mean! Don't think I've watched the Cowboys play since I was a kid sober!! Not to sure how I'm gonna do it, but I will. Boy, you are on the triple threat! I'm going no booze, no weed, but the cigs, well, those are going to have to stay for a while.

I'm not big on sweets, so guess I'll have to stock up on chips and some summer sausage! Funny, all the beer I drank gave me an awful beer gut. Now that I'm quitting, I'm afraid I'm gonna end up with a chip gut! Ha!
I've had better luck quitting all three at once, but I plan on going back on weed "as a treat" once I quit the cigarettes and the booze.

To take care of an oral fixation smoking causes, I recommend Cheeto's Curls and cinnamon Altoids. They worked for me so far... even better than the stupid nicotine gum.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Football and no Booze? Is it possible?

I was thinking the same thing tonight. I love football season, but that always meant going to the pub to watch the games with my drinking buddies and leaving at the end of the day plastered. My plan is to get up early, start the coffee, watch some of the game, go to church, go to a meeting (my second) and then head home to watch the rest of the games with SR open on my laptop. Chat and read for inspiration to help get me past the cravings. Good luck and go Raiders (monday night)
Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColdSweat View Post
Not during football, hon, but times when I normally would, and can't anymore, y'know... what I do is sit there with my 2 packs a day habit (you quit smoking, too? Good for you. I chanelled my cross-addicted self into 2 packs a day and a 4litres of caffeine a day habit haha) and write stuff, or call people, catch up, go online for absurd hours, on here or music sites, listen to loads of great music, read loads of significant books, go out shopping (when the money comes, from somewhere), or just out walking with family, or friends, loved ones. But you actually wanna sit there and watch the game. Get some good, sober friends together. Laugh.
I had to quit all 3 at the same time. It's a really good idea, and not just for obvious health reasons.

Ask yourself.... is the feeling of really "needing" a cigarette that different than really "needing" a drink? Once you get through the first 2 days... it get easier.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jho65 View Post
I was thinking the same thing tonight. I love football season, but that always meant going to the pub to watch the games with my drinking buddies and leaving at the end of the day plastered. My plan is to get up early, start the coffee, watch some of the game, go to church, go to a meeting (my second) and then head home to watch the rest of the games with SR open on my laptop. Chat and read for inspiration to help get me past the cravings. Good luck and go Raiders (monday night)
Ha! The Bills play the Raiders week #3!! I'll be thinking about you while my team kicks your teams butt!! LOL... kidding. Sort of....
Old 09-06-2008, 09:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'd imagine you have to seperate your memories of good times from getting drunk, not impossible but hard. But then you'll probably appreciate things in a new way!!! You have to make the most of the stuff you enjoy....and you will probably enjoy it more in the long run!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!

sorry...couldn't help myself!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!!

Yea, sorry, had to! Ha! Of course, they aren't looking so well this year, already, and they haven't even played their first REAL game Well, at least I won't be tempted to throw my beer bottle at the tv, instead it'll be a bowl of chips or maybe my bottle of water! Either way, I'm less likely to brake the tv! LOL!
Old 09-07-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well it was hard... but I made it through the afternoon games without booze and without a cig.

Unfortunately, I smoked a bit of weed.

So, the good news is the Bills won!!!! 34-10

The bad news is tomorrow I start all over again...
Old 09-08-2008, 05:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time!

Don't feel to bad Mirth! I too made it without alcohol, but did smoke a little weed. I really wanted that beer, but that little bit of weed made the craving go away. I know I shouldn't replace one with another, but that little bit helped. But you know, it wasn't the weed that I ever had a prob with, I could walk away from that anytime. It's the beer that is impossible for me to put down without some help. Beer is legal, and too easy to get.

Anyrate, hope today you can find the strength to stay sober! I'm going to try hard at it as well!

OH YEA! And my Boyz won yesterday!!! WOOHOO!! GO COWBOYS!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Another Cowboys fan here
Twin I am the same as you, I am giving up booze but know I will still smoke weed. I never had a problem with it either and I never made a fool of myself or woke up feeling crappy after smoking. I quit smoking cigs in July, but feel I will probably have a couple here and there while I am going through the first month.

Day 2 and feeling strong...