Looking For Myself...Sober

Mango iced tea is rockin too
Old 08-28-2008, 02:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

triple x vitawater and water much better than the 1/5th of jack
Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Eclipse, you sound like me from the beer, wine and the liquor. I totally relate. Unfortunately I've gone to coffee and chocolate........lot's of chocolate!!! I've gained a couple of pounds but I'm also still "stuck" at my friends house until I move into my place this weekend where again I'll have to pull myself out of this rut.

I'm 38 yo and when my High School Sweethearts mom got sober some 20 years ago I remember watching her scarfing down ice cream like there was going to be no tomorrow.

I'm going to have to pick my chocolate. It's got a lot of anti-oxidants and I've recently read that there's some compound in the chocolate that's good for your teeth (sans the sugar part of course), so I'll go with that.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Eclipse

I think the word in your sibject I have the most interest in is the word choice. I drank a lot of wine too. Then one day I realised I had drunk 20 large glasses and I was still feeling sober so I tried to stop but I couldn't stay stopped. If you are like me, you may have a problem that will get worse with time and you may have lost the power to choose whether or not you drink wine.

Nowadays the thought of drinking wine is awful. I have my sanity back and I can see what damage it did. I am free to choose whether or not I drink alcohol thanks to my AA programme.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I tried to drink wine when I was trying to moderate. Beer, too. I had to drink a lot of it. My drink of choice was rum and coke (a-cola). It got so a fifth only lasted two days. God I was so sick all the time! Now, I am trying to drink a lot of water and I seem to crave V8 juice. I don't even like cokes anymore. I love cranberry juice. Here's to a sober day for everyone!
Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a wino all alone at home. But now my favorite drinks are iced tea and fruit juice. And the nice thing about that is that they taste good no matter how many I drink, whereas wine always tasted bad to me when I was trying (unsuccessfully) to quit drinking.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I used to drink mainly beer and sometimes vodka.
Now I drink coffee, water, diet coke and the odd sugar free red bull (with ice).
Old 08-28-2008, 06:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
I just don't quite understand why the wine is such a triggger and not the rest of the stuff

Like some said, it could just be personal preference. I would go through periods of drinking only beer, then only liquor, then only wine--repeat. I first started out with liquor and that was it...........but when my drinking got really out of hand, I would drink ANYTHING. I used to buy wine by the box and never needed to put it in the fridge because it would be gone in two days....blech....

If that's what you started drinking with, your palette (here's where I'm talking out of my *** now) may be more receptive to wine than anything else, so maybe that's why you prefer it. Some of the other suggestions I've read in this thread are really good...those other drink options are a little more complex than drinking straight-up fruit juice. Experiment. Try some of the suggestions and let us know what you like.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I drank wine 'cause it felt more sophisticated. HAHAHAH! How sophisticated could I be, naked on my front steps 'cause I was too warm?! Whether you prefer wine or beer or hard liquor...it's just a different way of getting the booze in and not good.

Now, I like to experiment with different types of coffee. And my drink of choice, I'm afraid, will always now be pop...lots of diet pop. lol
Old 08-28-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
Limeade rocks right now.
OMG I totally love the strawberry limeade at Sonic!!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dancinggirl View Post
How sophisticated could I be, naked on my front steps 'cause I was too warm?!

I love it! Sounds like something I would have done!

Thanks for all the ideas. They sound really good. I like fizzy like selzer water maybe mixed with cranberry juice or something... Think I'll try it today instead of wine!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Arizona ice teas. They're big and only 100 calories each and all natural.

Diet coke and club soda are close personal faves too.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

At the risk of being a party pooper, I wish the title of your thread could be "What was your drink of choice?

But, I'll join in your survey by saying what I drank before I got sober more often than not depended on my pocketbook. I went from beer, when I couldn't afford anything else, to top shelf like Courvoisier cognac (Napoleon brandy)...I just liked how impressive it sounded rolling off the tongue...Cor-vah-see-ay. Of course, after a few at the bar, I became so tongue tied, all I could manage was to point at my empty glass indicating, "More of the same."
My husband and I even had matching fancy brandy snifters at home. Such elegance for a couple of out-of-control alcoholics!

You name it, I drank it...except for tequilla or gin...never could acquire a taste for the martini...shaken or stirred. In the end, I was a bonafide Winette...nothing but chablis by the gallon...but, still out of the long-stemmed wine glasses. Whatever my drink of choice happened to be on any given day, it all led me eventually to AA almost 29 years ago.

Don't mean to sound like an alarmist...just being real...be careful your drink of choice doesn't become a total eclipse for you.

Today, with all of the great suggestions above, I still find the best thirst quencher is a glass of ice water!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
[B]Don't mean to sound like an alarmist...just being real...be careful your drink of choice doesn't become a total eclipse for you.
I like the analogy. I kept wondering how I picked that name...maybe there was something lurking in my conscience.....
Old 08-28-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

My favorite so far is cranberry and oj mixed with soda water...
Old 08-28-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I was a beer drinker since 14, but every once in awhile I'd have hard liquor to feel sophisticated. My last two years I added wine and vodka, the cheapest I could find, it was all about quantity and not quality.

Nowadays I drink lots of green tea, and I've got a lime tree in my backyard so I make pitchers of fresh limeade.

If I'm at a restaurant or bar I'll usually have club soda with lime.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My former poison of (no) choice was vodka.

but I am loving fruit juices now. More refreshing and healthy for me.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Exclusively a beer drinker. The cheaper the better.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Tea, chai, latte and lots of water
Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Wow the low sodium V-8 is really doing me good today