Notices

Top three excuses for not drinking???

Old 08-25-2008, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Top three excuses for not drinking???

Sounds & looks weird reading it but if you are quitting you are going to face that question.

Im more concerned about coworkers at the many work functions than friends but either way its a tough question. Ok.. maybe its an easy one but it sure does seem tough now.

So what are the top three reasons for not drinking that you have given to coworkers & friends?

Coworkers:
1) I'm on medication....
2) I have a big day lined up tomorrow...
3) Ive decided to take it easy for a while

It took me over a minute to come up with the last lame one. Anyway, lets hear your top three excuses for not drinking (maybe 6 if you go with the friends/work thing)

A sober person may say:

1) I care about myself & family/friends
2) I am trying to take care of myself
3) You dont want to see me drunk

Looking forward to your top 3 reasons you have given others.

Thank you all for helping me stay sober :ghug
Old 08-25-2008, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Mine is

" I don't drink"

Thats it, nothing added.

Kevin
Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm doing a cleanse. (You have to say it in a real floaty, hippy-dippy kinda way.)
It's been giving me heartburn.
Drive somebody, or always drive yourself... or say you want to be available to drive just in case someone needs a DD!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Sorry if I sound stupid. But I thought we made excuses to cover our using. Not our being sober.
Dont take that the wrong way.
Just doesnt make sense to me is.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

*sigh*
Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmm...I just told an old friend. He wanted to meet for a drink and I just said, Oh. I quit. And when he asked why I said, it was just time. And we moved on to other things. I don't think I'll have a problem telling people if they ask that I just don't want to drink anymore. I don't have to explain myself. But hey...I understand work/social situations. To each their own comfort levels on this one. It's very personal and can be as quiet/discreet or open as you want it to be. Good topic Master G. Planning ahead is always a good idea.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tell em you're a Patagonian Espicopolian and it's against your religion?

Seriously - never had trouble yet with 'I don't drink'...I'd follow that up with 'I'm an alcoholic' if things got fiesty.

To people just starting recovery I know it seems a big thing to say - it's really not for me - I wanted to tell everybody....when you drank as much as I did, it was a relief.

Like Boston says - find yr own comfort level according to the situation.
Whatever works.
D
Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
Mine is

" I don't drink"

Thats it, nothing added.

Kevin
Dam... I have a lot of work to do. I don't think I would have came up with that one for a while.

I'm not mocking either, thank you.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What always astounded me was that when I said 'I'm not drinking tonight' no one batted an eyelid.

What? My drinking isn't the center of the universe?!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can identify with that feeling, Master G. I am about to go back to school and my program is full of type-As who enjoy sniffing out and mauling the weak! I am not what you would call ready to bare my soul to them. I am barely ready to bare my soul to myself!

They're type A's but they're not squeamish. Alcohol gives me the runs, that's my story and I'm stickin to it.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
I'm doing a cleanse. (You have to say it in a real floaty, hippy-dippy kinda way.)
It's been giving me heartburn.
Drive somebody, or always drive yourself... or say you want to be available to drive just in case someone needs a DD!
Ha, I am about to start one for my kidneys/liver. Some of these people know the old "drunk party guy" so saying "I don't drink" might come as a big surprise. So some light ways of saying "I don't drink" will be good too. Maybe they will all be thinking "Thank God"
Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"i don't drink" is cool for me, but if you're not comfortable with that, selfseeking,

1. i'm driving
2. i have yoga at 5am tomorrow
3. i've had too much this week

friends should know the total truth if you want real support from close ones and colleagues should be ok with "i don't feel like it" or "i need a coffee hit instead", if not the 100% truth.

good luck
Old 08-25-2008, 11:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
*sigh*
Are you sighing at me??!!!
J/K
I dont drink..So I havent the first clue. And being a crack addict..You dont really need excuses as to why your not hitting the hood for a crack fix.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ftumsh View Post
"i don't drink" is cool for me, but if you're not comfortable with that, selfseeking,

1. i'm driving
2. i have yoga at 5am tomorrow
3. i've had too much this week

friends should know the total truth if you want real support from close ones and colleagues should be ok with "i don't feel like it" or "i need a coffee hit instead", if not the 100% truth.

good luck
Thanks for these, Im pretty early in recovery so as scary as it is I am 100% serious. I just joined a new gym & took a yoga class {rubs left butt cheek} felt great though (not the butt rub... after the class ;-)

Thank you all for your responses, I feel better about facing the night out tomorrow already
Old 08-25-2008, 11:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

master g, i'm in and out of recovery for 10 years now. last drank (and used) 4 days ago. i was just thinking back to when i was clean for over 3 years and working, and how i dealt with situations. it does feel fabulous and is soooooo worth it!! thanks for asking the question.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I was so pleased I finally quit
I told everyone.
.... Even those who did not question me.

I'm in AA
Old 08-26-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i just thought of something, master G. when i had those 3 years clean i was in a "situation". i was relieving the receptionist of our company while she went for a pee break. it was melbourne cup day (famous horse race in australia when everybody stops work and watches it on tv and drinks champagne). the switch board was extremely busy, including me needing to call an ambulance for a student who had inexplicably passed out and my mobile phone going off - a friend od'ing. at the same time my colleagues coming up to the desk offering me champagne when i could hardly think straight. after the receptionist got back, i was exhausted, stressed to the max and oh-so-happy to go to the board room to join the others for a huge glass of iced water. it didn't enter my mind to have wine or champagne. you too can get to that point when it just isn't part of your life anymore.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I get what you're saying because I am often in the same situation... When I am next in this position i think that I will just say that I don't drink (FULL STOP). Although I once saw Kirtin from sex and the city (a recovering alcoholic) say that she doesn't drink because she can't stop at one glass... her candour was admirable.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm allergic to hangovers, my brain turns to mush and my bank account gets low too quickly.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Things to say when you are pestered to drink:

1.) No, thank you.
2.) Didn't you hear me the first time?
3.) You need a hobby other than bothering me.