Notices

Higher Power...?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

lol Tommy, you'll think twice before posting anything too stimulating in Newcomers now, won't you?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Most respectfully - please just take what you want and leave the rest.

I utilize that philosophy myself, and I have a great deal of respect for each of your opinions.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
There are numerous 'tools' we can each use to promote our recovery.

The Higher Power concept is one of these tools.

Not all tools work for everyone, and none of the tools guarantee success.

It has been my experience that when I try as hard as I can to use all of the tools available for me, my own recovery is enhanced.

But if I don't try as hard as I can, and I don't use ALL of the tools available to me, I achieve less than desirable results.

So in sharing my experience, strength, and hope - are you using all of the tools possible toward YOUR recovery, or do you pick & choose only the tools that you like, maybe criticizing & ignoring some of the tools due to personal prejudice?

Just a thought to consider, thanks for allowing me to share.
You make some good points Tommy. I have tried a great variety of tools in recovery. Some of them help and others don't. The tools that helped the most have made an enormous positive impact on my sobrity. Likewise, those tools that don't help have caused some damage. But the tools that don't help in the hands of others have caused the greatest harm.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let's keep the comments about our own ESH, and not personal.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I have an issue with the Higher Power concept because I'm a Christian and believe in God. Not in the universe or nature, or a chair (see secular forum) being a higher power than me. I also don't believe my alcoholism is because satan (i.e. lower power) has gripped my life and taken me down. Anyway, I'm a simple girl and not an academic.

There was someone else like me on here (probably not a lot) but I don't mix God with my battle to recover from alcoholism. God is there but He doesn't rescue me from this. Nothing, not even God is going to "fix" this for me. I'm an alcoholic. I like to drink and I drink too much. I don't think it's because I'm a terribly flawed individual and am lacking spirituality. Anyway, it hasn't *clicked* for me why a higher power would be a useful tool to recover from addiction. I see that is helpful for a lot of people though so that is a good thing in my book. But do hate to see the divisions this topics always creates in these forums.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

After two warnings to keep away from personal comments, this thread is temporarily closed.