Notices

Why was the chronic thread closed???

Old 08-24-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why was the chronic thread closed???

Is there a reason that this thread was closed? personally, I found it very helpful to read about and write to people who were having the same issues as myself.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not - it's the two week and under thread Hide - part 3 was recently opened

D
Old 08-24-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks, Dee!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you asked...
Come on over and share!

Here it is....Part 3

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

All SR threads are closed at 500+ post to
ease the server load.
Then immmediately reopened.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There were 2 threads...are they now combined (I'm cyber dense)? Personally, the reason that the chronic thread is so appealing is because I don't feel alone. There are others who have the same ping pong sobriety that I do, and there is comfort in that. As I've said b4, this disease eats us up and spits us out, fueled by our insecurity and isolation. I think I have mentioned that I'm reluctant to speak up in my AA meetings because everyone has been sober for a long time. It certainly doesn't help ME to hear, "oh, the first time I walked into a meeting was the last time I drank." Or "I just got it immediately". All that makes me feel is that I'm a moron and a failure. Don't get me wrong, I don't WANT to be on the chronic thread. I'd love to be where Least and many others are. But I find it helpful to be able to talk with those who have issues with the early sobriety hurdles. I'm not condoning relapsing. No one WANTs to relapse (they wouldn't be on SR if they did), and admitting to relapsing takes a lot of courage and faith in a safe environment. IMHO, if there is interest in a thread, it will be active, if not, it will whither away. So I'm confused as to why this happened.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat. I liked coming to this thread because I felt safe. I no longer feel safe. I feel like people are saying that I am a failure and I am beyond help. I want to keep trying. How can we keep trying if people are saying that they only want to listen to people who are serious?
Old 08-24-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's still for two weeks and under but just doesn't say 'chronic' in the title. It's the same basic thread. The 'chronic' thread was started by a member who kept relapsing and felt like a chronic relapser who couldn't get further than two weeks sober time. So a thread was started for "those chronically less than two weeks sober" cause of the feeling of hopelessness about it.

I feel safe here on this site cause I don't think anyone would attack me unjustly. I also feel safe here cause of all the support that is offered. It gives me a lot of incentive to succeed, especially cause I used to think I never would make it.

:ghug

who's saying they only want to listen to people who are serious?
Old 08-24-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A thread is closed after if reaches 500 posts. If you want another chronic thread, you will have to start one, "for those chronically 2 weeks and under part II"
Old 08-24-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well...I think that SR does have the right to determine to rename a thread....perhaps for some the pm option on SR would be a way to feel safe sharing?

I have the pm option open on my page and I am sure others do as well. I'm very glad that people have shared there feelings about these changes. So I think we just have to learn to live with what is.

Thanks all of you.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember ROFL well. He/she posts occasionally. I don't interpret the thread as one for those who don't THINK they can make it two weeks, but for those who, for whatever reason, are having trouble doing it and looking for insight as to how to be successful. For me to be successful, I need to hear about others' difficulties and also their triumphs (you being one of them Least). What I absolutely need is to feel safe and not alone or unique in my problems. As we all know, isolation, is a killer for us alcoholics.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm the Moderator of the Newcomers forum and I did not combine two threads. So, as far as I know two threads were not combined.

The Chronic thread still exists as Carol pointed out in her post. It's still there and it's still active.

The fact that the word Chronic isn't in the title doesn't mean people are judging other members.

The whole Newcomers forum is available for people who are struggling to stop drinking. There is never any backlack allowed against people who post that they are still drinking but trying to stop. It would not be allowed, ever.

The Newcomers forum is a safe haven, a safe place for all members who use it and it will continue to be a safe place.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How can we keep trying if people are saying that they only want to listen to people who are serious?
I thought the thread is suppossed to be for people who are serious about quitting but are struggling to do so. Something to think about guys.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maybe someone should start another thread with the word "chronic" in it, if they feel there is a need. I just found the site two weeks ago and it was a little sad that the only place for people with less than a month was for both "chronic" relapsers and newcomers. As soon as you come in to what looks like the most fitting thread to your situation you are with people on their umpteen relapse. I was too shy to start a new thread... not that I would have been that ambitious two weeks ago! I didn't have that much energy to spare on extra typing! LOL

I hope no one will take this to mean I did not hugely appreciate the support I got from the old thread, repeat relapsers and newbies. I did. But maybe it's not a bad idea to have a thread labeled "chronically two weeks and under". I'm just not starting it because as much as I love all of you, I hope to not relapse again and it's not in my plans today!

-Katie
Old 08-24-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Look it is very simple, if someone wants another chronic thread, they just need to make it, and put a "part II" after it. How hard is that?
Old 08-24-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

We are already working on Part 3 of that thread. Part 2 is finished:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html
Old 08-24-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Anna, I really am confused. The chronic thread is closed. The only one that still exists is the 2 week...If a thread is long (>500 posts), it is archived and restarted, right?
Old 08-24-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

The link I posted is a continuation of the Chronic thread.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The two weeks part 3 is a continuation of the 'closed' "chronic" thread, just doesn't have the exact same title. The word 'chronic' is not used, but it's a thread for anyone under two weeks, whether it's their first time or hundredth time. The "chronically" thread was titled that cause the op felt like he'd never get past two weeks. But he has, as have others, so because the chronic thread had enough posts it was closed and part 3 was started. Anyone can start a new thread. Just click on "new thread" (don't laugh, I had to be told what to do by my daughter!) and title it and start the posting. If a technodummy like me can do that, anyone can!
Old 08-24-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

same thread just with the Chronic taken out as I understand it Hide.

why would the support in the new thread be any different to the old one?
Isn't everyone under 2 weeks?

D
Old 08-24-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

All threads in the Newcomers forum are for any Newcomers or any members of SR, for that matter.

Thread titles do not mean that only certain people can post on a thread.

All threads are open for anyone to read or post on.