Notices

Excited about a sober life?

Old 08-23-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excited about a sober life?

I'm in phases of drinking and not drinking. In an earlier thread I was pretty scared for my medical state, but now I'm pretty sure I can do a home detox. I live with my dad so he can make sure nothing too terrible will happen, I've bought some products with valerian in them, a natural calm, some aspirin, and I have loads of food and dvds to watch for a week. I really am half excited, half scared.

I KNOW I will feel like hell for a few days, and the cravings will be immense, from previous experience this year. And this may sound crazy, but it's almost a relief. At least I know. And I know this is probably the biggest fight of my life so far, I am told if I don't stop drinking the amount I do in my mid twenties I Will die from some disease, a friend who has been through it, knows a lot, tells me, I will really suffer one way or another very soon drinking 70cl of vodka a day.

And hell, I think I am worth a lot more than some stupid drink, and not being tied to a monster will only increase my self esteem. I have some great family - a nephew who loves playing with me etc..., And besides which drugs of any kind ARE boring - they consume you so you no longer take any interest in anything else. I really would love to be free...
Old 08-23-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please be careful. I would go to a hospital or rehab to detox! My friend tried to detox on her own last spring and had a grand mal seizure and died!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is very horrible and scary! But I probably would have died by now if I was going to. Not joking or boasting, but it's probably the truth - I have gone from days and days not eating and drinking to total sobriety...but this is insanely dangerous I now realize, and wouldn't advise it unless you like playing with you're life.

I am 95 percent certain that a home detox for me will be safe...
Old 08-23-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

Being "free" is such a great, accurate way to put it.

Hope it's as easy on you as any detox can be.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Brad,
Please, have someone there with you all the times. Prayers
Old 08-23-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok- But be careful. She said the exact same thing to me before she detoxed at home. She was also "95 %" sure. She also had done it many times before etc.etc.etc.

The last time she tried, her body just gave out. Her body was tired I guess.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Sometimes it takes a little while before detoxing gets life-threatening. You may not see it coming. Please have someone checking up on you frequently.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

We're only harping on you because we care.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Do you know what the danger signs to look for are?
When to call 911 or go to an ER? Does your Dad?

At the very least...read here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Yes...you can die
Old 08-23-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Brad,

Keep checking in, let us know how the detox is going.

I like the title of this thread but take away the question mark. For this alcoholic, my new sober life kicks ass! Takes time and a bit of hard work but it is so worth it. This can be the start of a really good life. Take care.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm living with my dad inbetween jobs, but neither of my parents really believe me when I say it's quite dangerous coming off alcohol. It's particularly upsetting when my mother works in mental health, the first thing she said when I admitted I had a problem and how much I drank was that it wasn't a problem and I shouldn't waste the doctors time

I have set up an appointment even if it is slightly embarrassing and I am going to try a home detox properly, unfortunately my dad won't check on me even i asked him to every few hours, but I think I'm pretty safe.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Brad,
I sure wish you had a friend that could stay with you. If you must do this, on your own, please keep posting on this site. Read Carol's links she so graciously included. Write the warning signs down so they're with you always. Don't take any chances. We are here for you. We understand this is a very lonely journey. We will keep you company during this. You are so brave, so grown up. Prayers
Old 08-23-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Parents don't like facing reality. My mom "knows" what's going on with me, but she doesn't accept it. She still offers me beers to drink. You can tell them the truth, but they'll never believe it...denial certainly helps no one. I am so sorry.

Make some phone calls. There has to be someone who can guide you as to where you can go for help. It's better to be safe than dead. If you are worried about money, try to find charity care options in your area. Ask a bunch of questions. Eventually you will find someone who can point you in the right direction.

If your dad won't check on you, is there a friend's house you can crash at for a few days? Any other family members you can reach out to?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

"Parents don't like facing reality. My mom "knows" what's going on with me, but she doesn't accept it. She still offers me beers to drink"

Wow Bam,
I couldn't imagine that. Talk about feeling alone in the fight. Support is really hard to find. I envy those that have found it. There is something to be said for going it alone. I think there's more inner strength, inner strength that remains. I have told nobody. I don't take the chance of peer pressure coming into play. When offered a drink I simply reply "I don't touch the stuff" no questions are asked, no pressure is applied. I walk with my head held high, feeling better each day and know that I have won. I have conquered the biggest, baddest, most self-destructive enemy on the planet, me.
:bounce
Old 08-23-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by HopeTo180 View Post
Support is really hard to find. I envy those that have found it. There is something to be said for going it alone. I think there's more inner strength, inner strength that remains. I have told nobody. I don't take the chance of peer pressure coming into play.

My mom means well...there is a lot of love there...but if anyone tells her something she cannot accept, she quits listening. It just hurts too much for her, I guess. Oh well...(her dad was an alcoholic, too).

Do you think you'll ever tell anyone? It sounds like you're doing well so far.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread

...Bradster, keep talking to people here...
Old 08-23-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...Brad

I too de toxed at home...mostly alone
and that is why I strongly suggest not doing it.

But...here I am..sober and enjoying life.
Check back with us....someone is always here.

Keep in focus...drink a lot of water
Blessings
Old 08-23-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Excited about a sober life? (chuckling to myself)...

When I went into rehab on May 10th I had a big smile on my face. My heart was pounding at the same time, but I was so happy to be getting in a place to detox and get sober again. So yes, I understand your happiness.

I hope that you make sure you have someone with you. Have you ever had a seizure from detoxing? If you answer yes...I would certainly do this under medical care.

Now do I have an exciting sober life? Yup. At times it is very wonderful. I hope you find peace and lots of fun in sobrity life I have.

Oh, and after I have been in the detox program for a few days the counsolers started teasing me about how I was the first person they had ever seen come into the program with a big smile on her face!
Old 08-24-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey Brad...drop a line here and let us know how you're doing...
Old 08-24-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Do you think you'll ever tell anyone? It sounds like you're doing well so far.
Bam,
I don't know if I'll ever tell anyone. Have you ever had a great idea then you tell someone about it. You never look at that idea the same way again (like a deflated balloon). This has happened to me many times. I never want to give up the "secret" energy I have to keep going. It's working, why mess with it!